Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants fans take on NFC east Safeties.

End2round2sanders

I'm going to be blunt, based on what they have accomplished on the field i'd take Wilson over Taylor. If you don't like it, oh well.

??? - this is just a stupid statement. Taylor has changed games with his play. Team game plan away from him (how many passes are run over the middle against taylor? 1 gimmick play?). Teams don't even try to go where Taylor is. This is an idiotic statement...

That's why your stinkin' defense is 31st in the league.

You settle for less. :)

The defense is low becuase 3/4 of the secondary isn't good in coverage. Look at it his way, this is how i'd rank the Giants secondary.

Wilson - Great

Curtis - DECENT for a first year starter but bad none the less

Allen - sucks, can't cover his own shadow and can't catch the ball to save his life.

Alexander - old. Used to be good, isn't anymore.

Then you have Sean Williams on the bench, he was supposed to be an elite saftey but then the Giants found out he can't man to man coverage at all.

Wilsons the only decent cover guy in the Giants secondary, teams take turns lighting up the other players and they have been all year. Like I said, watch the freaking tape. Why don't you think Wilson has passes defended? I'll give you a hint, its becuase other teams don't throw on him.

??? - this is just a stupid statement. Taylor has changed games with his play. Team game plan away from him (how many passes are run over the middle against taylor? 1 gimmick play?). Teams don't even try to go where Taylor is. This is an idiotic statement...

You don't think Wilson has changed games with his plays? Dude you obviously do NOT watch the Giants play, stop pretending you know ANYTHING about their team, like who's good and who's not on it. Seriously stfu unless you have any clue as to what your talking about. Watch the game tommorrow, watch who the Redskins play on, learn something about the team THEN come back here and swallow your crow like a man.

The defense is low becuase 3/4 of the secondary isn't good in coverage. Look at it his way, this is how i'd rank the Giants secondary.

Wilson - Great

Allen - sucks, can't cover his own shadow and can't catch the ball to save his life.

Then you have Sean Williams on the bench, he was supposed to be an elite saftey but then the Giants found out he can't man to man coverage at all.

Wilsons the only decent cover guy in the Giants secondary, teams take turns lighting up the other players and they have been all year. Like I said, watch the freaking tape. Why don't you think Wilson has passes defended? I'll give you a hint, its becuase other teams don't throw on him.

So, in all seriousness, are the Giants gonna pull this guy up to the line to get 8 men in the box on Portis/Betts? Or are they going to try to keep him back to double Moss/Patten? You obviously follow NYG pretty closely, what's your guess?

So, in all seriousness, are the Giants gonna pull this guy up to the line to get 8 men in the box on Portis/Betts? Or are they going to try to keep him back to double Moss/Patten? You obviously follow NYG pretty closely, what's your guess?

Thats a tough call. He can do both, i'm hoping they will drop him back to help on Moss becuase imo Moss is the biggest threat to the Giants but really its up to Tim Lewis not me. He's done both in the past though.

You don't think Wilson has changed games with his plays? Dude you obviously do NOT watch the Giants play, stop pretending you know ANYTHING about their team, like who's good and who's not on it. Seriously stfu unless you have any clue as to what your talking about. Watch the game tommorrow, watch who the Redskins play on, learn something about the team THEN come back here and swallow your crow like a man.

Easy chief. Grew up in NY as a Skins fan. Still follow them. Still wouldn't put gibrils up to Dawkins and Taylor...

I'll even add to that, imo if they try to use Alexander as the saftey option on Moss they could be in real trouble becuase Alexander does NOT have the speed to even attempt to keep up.

So the chess game there is for NYG to try to disguise coverage and fool Brunell...

I know people are calling this a "defensive struggle" but i disagree. I think we could have a close game in the high 20s/mid 30s.

Wilson - Great

Or maybe it's b/c you CBs are so bad, no one needs to throw on him. :) It just skews Wilson's numbers, and makes him look better than he is.

That's why Sean Taylor is great. In a secondary of playmakers, Taylor STILL stands out. He's got a nose for the ball and an instinct for the game that you just can't teach, and will never show up on a stat sheet.

Fact is, I've never heard of this Wilson guy. I'm sure he is a good player. Just not in Taylor's or Dawkins' league.

It wasn't b/c of Wilson that Pinkston developed a case of 'alligator body" last season. :)

Taylor has a reputation around the league for his intimidating play (where's Wilson's reputation?).

You'll find out what I mean on Sunday. :)

Happy,

I can understand your frustration when folks don't recognize that Wilson is an underrated playmaker. I wouldn't expect Skins fans realize this since they don't get to see the majority of the Giants games like I do being from Jersey. He's a very nice player for sure - the kind of guy who makes you feel very confident in your front office since he was an undrafted player. But let's not go crazy here - he's not in the class of Dawkins and Taylor.

Dawkins is basically the PERFECT safety. He does it all - cover like a CB, tackle like a LB, and blitz like his hair is on fire. He's on the downside but he's still among the best.

All you need to know about Taylor is that the Great Greg Williams has called him the most talented player he's ever coached. Has Lewis or Coughlin said this about Wilson? If they did, I missed it. Taylor may not have great numbers but that can be VERY deceiving for DBs. The stat sheet doesn't take into account drops by WRs who think they are about to get drilled. Something tells me Taylor has a few more of those than Wilson. Nor does it tell you how many times Taylor had his guy covered forcing the ball to go elsewhere. He's also the best tackler I've seen from the Safety position all season. I don't think he's missed a tackle yet.

In fact just to be fun and play the games you guys like to play, i'll compare their stats which really mean nothing too me anyway. Gibril is as fast, makes the big hits and has a nack for getting interceptions. But here we go.

Last season

Wilson 8 games 56 tackles 3 interceptions pass defended - 2 sacks - 3

Taylor 15 games 76 tackles 4 interceptions pass defended - 9 sacks - 1

This season

Wilson 6 games 40 tackles 1 interceptoin pass defended - 0 sacks - 0

Taylor 6 games 21 tackles 1 interception pass defended - 2 Sacks - 0

In significantly less playing time Wilson has put up numbers that are almost = to Taylors. Now, you guys have a choice here, accept the fact that stats can be misleading, or accept the fact that Wilson is in the same class as the dominate safteys in the divison. Your choice. Either way, I win the argument.

Looking at safties numbers (especially tackle stats) head to head is about the most ridiculous thing you can do to prove which one is better. A safety playing on an above average defense is not going to have as many tackles as a safety on a bottom tier defense. You want to know why? Because the other 10 defenders did their job. On another note, D-coordinators use their safety in all sorts of different ways, some more aggressive than others. For example, Dallas plays Roy up around the line ALOT so he will have high tackle stats. Gibril Wilson plays on one of the softest Ds in the league so he will have a lot tackles since opponents live on your second level. Taylor is a playmaking ballhawk and anyone who knows the game would not even think twice about who they would take between Sean Taylor and Gibril Freakin' Wilson. :laugh:

Looking at safties numbers (especially tackle stats) head to head is about the most ridiculous thing you can do to prove which one is better. A safety playing on an above average defense is not going to have as many tackles as a safety on a bottom tier defense. You want to know why? Because the other 10 defenders did their job. On another note, D-coordinators use their safety in all sorts of different ways, some more aggressive than others. For example, Dallas plays Roy up around the line ALOT so he will have high tackle stats. Gibril Wilson plays on one of the softest Ds in the league so he will have a lot tackles since opponents live on your second level. Taylor is a playmaking ballhawk and anyone who knows the game would not even think twice about who they would take between Sean Taylor and Gibril Freakin' Wilson. :laugh:

Happy, try to read that ^^ and understand what he's saying. Basically he made all your points moot. Also, if this question were taken outside the NFC East fandom, then I think you'll see that most people see it our way.

You also argue that Girbril hits as hard as Taylor? Just simple physics says Taylor has the advantage. Taylor is 231 and Girbril doesn't break the 200 mark. If F=MA, and you say they are about just as fast as each other, then by your own statements, Taylor hits harder. I believe the Steeler offense would agree with that if you take what was said by them last year.

So, done and done.

very good points...this should shut him up. Yes you want a safety who can tackle well but unless hes playing in the box all the time trying to stop the run, High tackle numbers would not be that good, because of the fact, that it usually means a big gain if your safety is making the tackle. Another fact you have to think about is, how many QBs and Recievers in this leauge try to make a living throwing at Sean taylor???? Nobody we have played yet has "went after" taylor. Why? Because hes that good. He doesnt get the stat for the tackle. I'd say 90% of the time it aint coming to him...the ones that do he either deflects, picks it off, knocks the **** out of the reciever who "thought" he had it, or the occasional reception is made and he then makes the tackle...unless My safety played in the box ALOT, Im not sure I'd want to see high tackle stats. I'd want my D-line and Lbs with those stats. :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck

Archived