Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matthews v. Wuerffel

InstiGATOR

I noticed some discussion about how Matthews had done at UF compared to Wuerffel on other threads on this board. So I thought I would post over here a post I orginally put on the CPND board the other day. Here it is:

After Wuerffel's performance last night, the mediots swallowed hard and are still telling us that Wuerffel really can not play in the NFL in this offense so really it will be Matthews that ultimately wins the job. From 1990 through 1996 Wuerffel and Matthews played in the UF now Skins offense coach by Spurrier. They both had various players surrounding them of various abilities.

Mathews had Errict Rhett the leading rusher in UF history [Yep not Emmit who only played three years] and had a productive NFL career to hand off to all three of his years. Mathews had Willie Jackson Jr who has developed into a productive NFL receiver all three of his seasons. Mathews had some other very good WRs plus in 1990 the only TE who was particularly productive for UF under Spurrier. Mathews had very good offensive lines his first two years and a shakey line his SR year which led to his stats his SR year being his worst at UF. Matthews also had the advantage of surprise, as the offense was new to the SEC in 1990 and 1991.

Wuerffel had Willie Jackson Jr as a receiver for one year too. Wuerffel had Anthony, Green, Hilliard and Doering to throw to in other years. It is my opinion having watched them that the WR differences were marginal between the two squads. Wuerffel had as his running backs three guys still in the NFL. They were Eli Williams now a CB for Atlanta after he switched to CB for his last year at UF, Fred Taylor like in the NFL was constantly injured or suspended when he played with Wuerffel and Terry Jackson now plays FB for the 49ers. To me Matthews had the clear advantage at RB. Wuerffel had a solid OL while at UF including future NFLers Odom, Pillar, Collins and Mitchell. But he typically had two of these at a time. But again the OL difference were in my opinion not much. Neither was greatly rushed often except in their respective SR years as Matthews played with a young OL and Wuerffel was late hit by f$u after some injuries including to Mitchell.

Now to the numbers. I have compile their numbers in the careers, top two seasons and top season to compare.

Career:

Player------ATT-COMP-INT--YARDS--TDs--NFL Rating

Matthews-1202-722-46-----9287-----74----88.9

Wuerffel---1170-708-42----10875---114---108.8

In the offense the Skins are using this season, Wuerffel in less pass attempts threw for 40 more TDs, four less picks and about 1600 more yards. This all adds up to about a 20 point NFL QB ratings advantage to Wuerffel for their respective careers. Wuerffel's career was four years. Mathews only played three years.

Top Two Years:

Matthews--730-447-30------6082---51----92.9

Wuerffel----685-417-23------6891---74---116.7

Again with less attempts Wuerffel threw for more yards, fewer picks and more TDs. The NFL QB rating difference grows to about 24 points. Mathew's top two years statistically were 90 and 91. Wuerffel's top two years were 95 and 96.

Top Year:

Matthews--361-218-18------3130---28----92.9

Wuerffel----325-210-10------3266---39---120.9

Both had their best years statically their JR years. Again with less attempts Wuerffel threw for more yards, more TDs and less picks. The rating difference grows to 28 points.

Now does all of this mean Wuerffel will win the QB job with the Skins. No it does not, but he out performed Matthews in this offense in college by a pretty big margin. And Matthews was a very productive college player who was a two time SEC player of the year. Wuerffel was just more productive. Spurrier is certainly a coach who would dare to go against all the "experts"and start Wuerffel if he thinks Wuerffel will be the most productive this year. It should be an interesting battle.

DW was better in the system as a college player, and Shane has been a better pro thusfar. It's pretty much a tit for a tat, and we haven't even seen Shane play yet.

Their performance on the field will determine who is the starter, and the Pittsburgh game is critical for Danny. If he can have the type of game that he did against San Fran, then that goes a long way to making him the stater.

Shane should have an easy ride against Carolina, so hopefully he'll get more playing time later in the preseason, perhaps against the Pats.

I don't know how Matthews could improve on mini-D's performance in Osaka. We'll see. But no tears from me if SM is the one who gets cut. He kinda looked like a pouty punk throughout that game. If he is better, the Skins are just in that much better shape, so it's a no lose situation I guess.

Mark my words - we will not cut either Waffle or Stain Matthews. Why? Because neither of the other 2 guys is anywhere near ready in this system yet, so if the anointed UF starter goes dwon, we'll need the other Gator to fill in.

4 QBs this year. Stain might be gone next year if Waffle wins the starting job.

Archived