Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Antonio Pierce Help out the Giants Offense?

tvo14

I dont think he can help much in this way. What he can do is help more on his side of the ball (defense) but this can also be used against him.

I've never seen a game where a player playing against his former team made much of a difference simply because he recognized what was coming though.

Since Pierce was such an intergral part of GW's defense, do you think he stole any secrets or will GW change his defensive calls to adjust to Pierce knowing the defensive calls so well?

For each formation he probably has about 10-15 blitz packages and assignments. Even if Peirce knew them all, he would have absolutely no idea which blitz was being called and etc..

I remember 2 years ago there was a big fuss when Spurrier (us) were facing the Falcons and Doug Johnson was their Qb. We still managed to put up 30+ points on offense.

2 things...

Every formation "probably" has atleast 20 possible plays...

and 2.....knowing whats coming and stopping whats coming are 2 BIG things.

Pierce obvoiusly help them more than hurt them but I dont think it will be a difference maker.

I think football is so very complicated in their schemes and coaches need to scout and review films for so many hours, that, to think a player can come in and give them any advice to the other team's schemes seems unlikely.

I don't think they have the time or know how to get 'hear say' from former players and use it as a credible source. Plus, gameplans are tweaked so much from week to week that teams really only know a few standard packages anyway.

Look what Williams did with the 9ers this week - the 3-4. Also, Gibbs is a great coach to make adjustments if he sees the opponent has a good read on their schemes.

I feel real confident against the GiGirls this week. We match up well.

I dont think he can help much in this way. What he can do is help more on his side of the ball (defense) but this can also be used against him.

I've never seen a game where a player playing against his former team made much of a difference simply because he recognized what was coming though.

You must not remember the Superbowl 2 years ago when John Lynch was calling out all of the Raider's offensive plays because Callahan did not change anything from Gruden's system when he was their the previous year.

On another note. Pierce can't help the Offense or Defense with his Washington experience very much. Offensively, Gibbs is running a revamped system with a major purge in Skill players so Pierce can't give them very much, and defensively, there's nothing pierce can tell them that they haven't seen from a year and 1/2 of game film. This game is going to come down to winning the trenches.

Antonio Pierce is a bright guy and, from all reports, he had an unusually strong grasp of the Gregg Williams scheme. I think it's reasonable to conclude that his brain might be of more value to the Giant's offense this week than his play on the field for the defense.

our offense is totally different.

they only person benifitting from pierce will be gibbs getting info from williams on how to exploit him, ie running 50 gut over and over and over. lots of yards up the middle with dock and randy clearing him out.

Keep in mind, too, how PARANOID most NFL head coaches are.

They'll be convinced that the Redskins will change things on plays just enough so that any info Pierce could've given them will be useless and may have thier players going to the wrong places.

I doubt he helps much. :)

Archived