Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Shaun Alexander Is 55 Yards Away

jimster

Alexander Is 55 Yards Away From Becoming Seattle's All-time Rushing Leader

http://sports.iwon.com/news/10222005/v8355.html

Oct 22, 3:25 AM (ET) Email this Story

By JIM COUR

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) - Shaun Alexander believes he could zip past Chris Warren and Curt Warner for first place on the Seattle Seahawks' career yards rushing list in the first half Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys.

Why shouldn't he feel that confident? Six games into his sixth season in the NFL, Alexander is leading the league in rushing.

"I expect to get it," Alexander said Friday of the team rushing record. "It's only 55 yards. I can't be like, 'Oh, I'm trying to get 55 yards.' I can't lower my standard of being focused on 55 yards. It might mess my whole game up. So I'm assuming that I'll get it early."

Alexander, 28, has piled up 6,652 career yards rushing, including 715 on 131 carries this season for the NFC West-leading Seahawks, since being the fourth running back and 19th player chosen in the 2000 draft from Alabama.

Now he's set break Warren's team rushing mark of 6,706 yards set from 1990-97, one yard better than Warner's totals from 1983-89.

"They were great players so it's always an honor to be compared with them," he said. "To be the one who passes them is really special. My goals are coming together so that's good."

Coach Mike Holmgren watched Alexander rush for 1,696 yards and score 20 touchdowns, both franchise records, last season. Alexander finished one yard behind 2004 NFL rushing champion Curtis Martin of the New York Jets.

"I'm very proud of the job he's done," Holmgren said. "If he keeps it going, he could have his best year. I'm sure glad it worked out with his contract. We'd all like him to stay and he'd liked to stay. So hopefully it all gets worked out."

Alexander has every reason to make this his best season. He's possibly playing in his final year in Seattle, under a $6.32 million, one-year contract, after coming to an agreement with the team that it can't use the franchise tag on him at the end. He could become a free agent next year if he doesn't agree to a new long-term deal with the Seahawks.

Alexander believes he'll get a deal to stay in Seattle, citing his rapport with first-year team president Tim Ruskell.

"Since I talked to Tim when he first got here, I've never once thought that I would not be here," he said. "We have great conversations when we get together. I think we have a good, good fit for each other."

When the Seahawks drafted Alexander, they didn't need a starting running back because they had Ricky Watters. Alexander started only one game as a rookie, being limited to a role as Seattle's third- and fourth-down short-yardage back. He had only 64 carries in his first year.

Running backs Jamal Lewis, Thomas Jones and Ron Dayne were drafted ahead of him, with Lewis going at No. 5 to Baltimore, Jones at No. 7 to Arizona and Dayne at No. 11 to the New York Giants. Only Lewis is with his original team.

Still playing behind Watters, Alexander missed four starts in his second season in Seattle. He's started every game since - except when his first child, daughter Heaven, was born Sept. 21, 2003. Alexander was at her birth and then rushed to Qwest Field, missing the first quarter.

I've been impressed with the Seattle offensive line... great run blockers. I think I've seen the same play called twice for touchdowns where Alexander went untouched... a sweep to the left with both guards pulling that way. Granted, they were against the Cardinals and Rams.... regardless, there were huge holes and Fat Albert could've walked into the end zone.

I've been impressed with the Seattle offensive line... great run blockers. I think I've seen the same play called twice for touchdowns where Alexander went untouched... a sweep to the left with both guards pulling that way. Granted, they were against the Cardinals and Rams.... regardless, there were huge holes and Fat Albert could've walked into the end zone.

sometimes i feel bad for porits our o line needs to step it up and do some zone blocking

porits barely gets anywhere without someone touching him

Archived