Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey to Bears?

DraftNik

Mort just reported on NFL2Night that the Bears have been closely watching the Ramsey contract talks, apparently with a possible interest in trading for the rights to Ramsey.

Now, he did say that with the rookie pool and all that, the rules would make this somewhat difficult to accomplish, but it is an intriguing thought.

If it turns out Wuerffel can in fact be the leader of this team this season, he would likely be able to serve as our starter for the next 6 or more years. Therefore, if he can be solid, our QB situation does not have a need for a young prospect like Ramsey.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, you'd be giving up your QB heir-apparent, a prospect with a great arm and seemingly good brains who would very possibly be a great fit in Spurrier's cerebral offense. But on the other hand, you could potentially bring in a player at a needier position like the guard spot.

What is Chicago's situation at the guard position? Do they have any young, quality guard starters who could be traded along with Chicago's 2003 2nd rounder or something for Ramsey?

I personally would rather hold on to the young QB, but it is at least an intriguing option.

Uh, not only no but H*LL No.

Unless it's one of those herschel type deals.

He will be the future QB unless Sage surprises some folks. Not Werfel, not mathews. Weurfel or mathews might do an okay job as caretaker till he's ready but neither will be much more than okay once the regular season starts.

I could see the bears offering to take him off of our hands cheap, figuring they could steal him as he wouldn't sign, but i doubt the offer is more than that.

it's time we developed our own QB instead of counting on mediocre QB's to come in and lead the team. Rypien, Gus, Heath have been the only "starting"QB's" I remember being developed by the skins. Trent Green, Sonny, Kilmer, Joe T., Doug williams, Brad Johnson, tony Banks, Jeff George, etc. were all someone elses QB first. I discounted Stan Humfries as he was traded away from the skins.

You just dont get it do you Montilar?

Danny Wuerffel is the PERFECT QB for this system.

Never mind the arm strength, the ideal size crap you have been hearing for years, he has the smarts and instinct to run this O to perfection.

I saw him do it in 95 and 96 and he will do it this year.

Laugh if you want, but by the end of the year, you could be hearing his name thrown out as a Pro Bowler.

Once again, its brains not braun that makes this system work.

No you don't get it.

I will not annoint someone GOD based on one half of one preseason game. Or because all florida bandwagoners worship him as the QB who won a national title in college.

HE MUST EARN IT.

he wants to start, then he mustbeat out his competition in camp and preseason. He had a good start. But that is all it was. If Sge outplays him then he starts. If mathews outplays him, then mathews starts.

We already gave you Matthews and Wuerffel (indirectly), what else do you want? :lol:

As a Bears fan, Morts report was news to me as well. The Bears do have an abundance of WRs and some young Gs that might interest the Skins. Only time will tell if anything comes of this (I would doubt anything happens with it myself, but you never know), but I will be watching for news without a doubt!

Some very intriguing news. But, no thank you. I still say Ramsey is our future. It was nice Wuerffel did well against 2nd and 3rd stringers and I hope he continues to do well, but there is no way you trade Ramsey at this juncture. Sign the kid and bring him in.

I would be totally shocked by this, and I'd have to chow down on some crow, too, because I've been talkin' ish all over this board that Ramsey haters were being ridiculous. If it happens, I stand corrected. But they'd have to hook us up LARGE. Like some insane guard o' the future to put right next to Jansen, or - or - or what? What else do the Skins really need? Why would they do this? I'm all for mini-D (c'mon, Snyder has to have dibs on 'the Danny") being the starter all season - if he can replicate maybe 80% of what he did against the backups with our starters - but throwing a QB away . . . that just weirds me out. Someone else was right in that it's time to develop from within. Unless, I guess, we can be reasonably sure to secure a first rounder to get one of the crop that'll be available next year. But still, I'm a little squeamish of this tuff talk.

I felt quite happy to grab a solid QB prospect at 32 in the draft ... not too high that we have to pay him a ton of dough before he proves himself .... and not too low that he's considered a major prospect.

On top of that, I think Ramsey was a good fit for us, in that three of his hallmark taints (smarts, accuracy, quick release) are necessary to succeed under S.Spurrier ... and his other hallmark trait (a very strong arm) is a necessary trait to succeed in the NFL.

Certainly, there is a price where you give up Ramsey ... but in this case, it would have to be a player (a starting O-Guard) and the Bears first round pick next year ... thus allowing us to resume our pursuit of a franchise QB next years with one of our two picks.

the funny thing is, Ramsey is supposed to be a very bright kid. Well for a bright kid, he is being a dumb *** by holding out. Never will he see a better situation to get playing time right away in such a QB/pass happy system. I realize his agent is playing hardball in case he becomes the starter, but guess what Sexton? If your boy doesn't get his tail into camp, he's not going to have a chance to be the starter. Spurrier doesn't care where you were drafted and how much you make. All he cares about is who is playing the best and who gives the team the best chance to win. Right now, that wouldn't be Ramsey. Squabbling over a couple million or hundreds of thousands dollars might seem big, but if Ramsey walked the walked, the money would take care of itself. I had high hopes when Ramsey said he wouldn't hold out. I'm not giving up on him, but this puts a bad taste in my mouth.

From the CBA, Article XVI, College Draft, Section 4, part b

If a Drafted Rookie has not signed a Player Contract during the period from the date of such Draft to the thirtieth day prior to the beginning of the regular season: (i) the Club that drafted the player may not thereafter trade to another Club either its exclusive negotiating rights to such player or any Player Contract that it signs with such player for the player’s initial League Year; and (ii) the Club that drafted the player is the only Club with which the player may sign a Player Contract until the day of the Draft in the subsequent League Year, at which time such player is eligible to be drafted in the subsequent League Year’s Draft by any Club except the Club that drafted him in the initial Draft. (After the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, the player and the Club may only sign a Player Contract for future League Year(s)).

- So basically if the Skins don't sign Ramsey to a contract before next year's draft, he's back in the draft and can be drafted by any team except the Skins.

Chris Villarial and their #1 next season would do it for me. I wouldn't worry much about Marcus Robinson-- it would take half the regular season for him to learn the offense and contribute. Villarial could step right into the RG spot.

I hate to say this but, I can understand the logic that Ramsey is using. He has already been assured that he is not to be considered as the #1 QB this year. So from his perspective, What's the rush? Why not make sure that he is going to get a sweetheart of a deal. It really wont matter this season whether he comes in during the 3rd week of the pre-season. He will get his education holding a clipboard all season anyway. I'm not saying that I agree with what he is doing, but I can definately say that it is logical from his standpoint.

If we gave up Ramsey, it'd have to be a number one pick. Unfortunately that pick will likely come in the later portion of round 1, unless the Bears totally bomb.

I have to believe that we'll be looking for a number one pick AND a decent wideout or guard. A pick in the 20s doesn't really spell "future QB."

Theyd be nuts to deal Ramsey. It takes a few seasons to develop a QB anyways, DW is nothing more than a Sport-starter/backup, Matthews is a starter, albeit an unspectacular one, so they will need Ramsey in a couple of seasons. If they deal him away, and get another Rookie QB next year, they lose a year of development this season.

Well, maybe not, but I have a feeling that the Skins won't be in a position to deal Ramsey for the Mid 1st round pick its going to take (at LOWEST) to get Grossman. And who in their right mind is going to deal a #1 in the NEXT draft for Ramsey? With all the QBs coming out next year, they might as well just sit this one out and wait till Spring 2003 to snag a young QB.

Archived