Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rape Up, While Murders Down in 2004

flyingtiger1013

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/17/AR2005101700508_pf.html

WASHINGTON -- Murders across the United States fell for the first time in five years, while rapes increased slightly last year, the FBI reported Monday.

Overall, the number of violent crimes, which also include aggravated assaults and robberies, fell by 1.2 percent last year. Property crimes _ burglaries, larceny/theft and car theft _ dropped 1.1 percent in 2004, compared to 2003.

There were 16,137 murders in the United States in 2004, the last full year for which statistics are available. That was about 350 fewer than in 2003, according to the FBI data. The decrease is the first since 1999, although smaller than what the FBI reported in June. Chicago was largely responsible for the drop, recording 150 fewer murders in 2004 than in 2003.

The number of rapes, however, has increased in three of the past four years, according to the FBI data. In all, rapes increased by .8 percent to 94,635 rapes, or about 750 more than in 2003.

Rapes are up nearly 5 percent since 2000, while murders have increased by 3.5 percent, FBI data show.

At the same time, the rates of all violent crimes, measured as the number of crimes for every 100,000 people, have dropped over that same period. Indeed, the crime rate is at a 30-year low, government data have shown.

Despite the historical trend, the FBI included a "crime clock" in its report that shows a violent crime is committed every 23.1 seconds. A murder occurs roughly every half-hour, according to the clock.

___

At the same time, the rates of all violent crimes, measured as the number of crimes for every 100,000 people, have dropped over that same period. Indeed, the crime rate is at a 30-year low, government data have shown.
Violent crime at a 30-year low!?!

These numbers must be lies from the administration. Chom and CrazyHorse1 have assured me that Bush is incompetent and therefore clearly incapcable of accomplishing anything of the sort. It should be obvious to all that only the rape statistic is correct. [/sarcasm]

These numbers must be lies from the administration. Chom and CrazyHorse1 have assured me that Bush is incompetent and therefore clearly incapcable of accomplishing anything of the sort. It should be obvious to all that only the rape statistic is correct. [/sarcasm]

I must've missed it when the federal government took over for law enforcement ... in this era of big government though, I guess you never know when the feds might take control of everything.

I must've missed it when the federal government took over for law enforcement ... in this era of big government though, I guess you never know when the feds might take control of everything.

If the Federal Government is at fault for local responsibilities visa vie disaster control, you can understand my confusion in this matter. I think I'm getting it now: Bush is to blame for all failures in state and local responsibilities and excused from any credit in the same arena. Am I warm?

If the Federal Government is at fault for local responsibilities visa vie disaster control, you can understand my confusion in this matter. I think I'm getting it now: Bush is to blame for all failures in state and local responsibilities and excused from any credit in the same arena. Am I warm?

Now you're thinking like a conservative. When things go wrong, blame the federal government. When things go right, it must have been someone else.

I guess you must have missed this part. . .

Rapes are up nearly 5 percent since 2000, while murders have increased by 3.5 percent, FBI data show.

So, what actually decreased? rapes up, murders up. . . but violent crime at a 30 year low? Makes no sense to me.

Archived