Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Gibbs Disputes Arrington Comments

spanishomelette

What's your favorite body part on the opposite sex?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite body part on the opposite sex?

• chest
    • bootay
    • legs
    • other

the same coach that played John Riggins and made him a star....

but this one is personal?

whatever you say.

No one makes you a star; you make yourself a star. Riggins had the talent and so does Arrington. And, Joe Gibbs is a great coach. But, it's still personal.

No one makes you a star; you make yourself a star. Riggins had the talent and so does Arrington. And, Joe Gibbs is a great coach. But, it's still personal.

I certainly don't think it's personal with Gibbs. I believe him when he says the Defensive Coaches make the decisions on who plays on that side of the ball and who doesn't. I'm sure Williams, et al, have given Joe their reasons why Lavar hasn't played but in the end, Gibbs trusts their judgement.

If you have a problem with any coaching decisions in this matter, there's really only one place to look.

I still say this is personal. The bottom line is benching Lavar never became an issue until the contract situation and Lavar saying he was rushed back. Now Lavar may not be right for all of that but this coaching staff has benched Lavar mainly because of that. Gibb and the Skins organization can't convince me otherwise. This is personal. Which means the coaching staff is just as childish.

I don't fully agree with you but the timing of it all makes you wonder.

He was starting last year?? Gets hurt and doesn't play anymore?? What you mentioned happened in between. :2cents:

Why can't everyone be wrong? Why?

You can trust the coach and believe what he says.. but think he's wrong.

You can trust the player and believe what he says.. but think he's wrong.

and still walk away being right.

I think Lavar should be on the field. I also believe the coaches when they say they KNOW why Lavar isnt out there.

I also believe Lavar doesnt grasp that he's not the be all end all and that maybe this WILL help him on the field when he gets there...

It seems really easy to me... They are both right, and they are both wrong. see :) easy!

Two points:

1) Lead Blocker's point about the coaches apparently only assessing LaVar on game film from the first 2 weeks of '04 and/or limited practice tape has merit, but does not cover all aspects of how a player is assessed. He is also assessed in the classroom, in the locker room, in the weight room, etc. It is possible that whatever is keeping the coaches from playing LA has as much to do with problems in areas other than on-field performance as it does what they have on film from a year ago. If, as Art suggests elsewhere, the man routinely gives the wrong answers in the classroom, and the guys ahead of him do not ...

Om,

The additional areas of player assessment are important to acknowledge as well. We, as fans, are on the outside looking in and are not aware of how the players are grading out in each of these areas.

Perhaps others are scoring higher. Perhaps the staff wants more from LaVar in key preparation areas. But these tidbits are not known publicly leading to wild speculation from enthusiastic people on both sides of the issue.

What's known is that Coach Williams confirmed that he has not and does not see a need to speak individually with players on this type of topic (according to posts I read related to his press conference Thursday) because of the unit and group meetings. This pretty much confirms LaVar's claim of the lack of communication with defensive coaches. We know LaVar and Coach Gibbs communicate often.

We know that a healthy LaVar was an impact player, but he has experienced a major knee injury. We also know that Coach Gibbs and LaVar both stated publicly that his recent absence is not injury related. He is just not a starter, according to Gibbs.

My concern is not that he is not a starter… he is not a contributor. Thursday (according to transcripts on this board) G. Williams says he is getting practice reps (to prove himself) with the 2nd and 3rd units. But Tuesday, Jon Jansen said on his radio interview that the starting offense goes against the 2nd unit and he does not see LaVar on the field. Where does that leave us?

What's interesting is that Jansen was actually attempting to dodge the issue all together by focusing on the 2nd string defensive unit that the starting offense faces. But now those comments conflict with Williams, leaving us in the same spot on the speculation treadmill.

Archived