Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL leader in tackles

eparks11

Is the number of tackles stat over rated? I was just looking at the stats and I noticed the Redskins have a top 5 defense and not a single player in the top 40 in league in number of tackles. My personal theory is they're not on the field long enough to accumulate a lot of individual tackles. Which in my mind is much better then having gaudy tackle stats up in the hundreds ala Zach Thomas and Urlacher.

I say this because I know how much weight people put into that number when it comes down to the defensive player of the year award. I'd say that stat is 3rd behind INT's and Sacks when it comes to voting time. That would be a shame for the skins to finish the year as a top 2 or 3 defense and not have a single player mentioned for defensive player of the year.

Given, we've already had our bye week; so the total number for our players should be down a touch. However; I loved at that stat a few weeks back and the only player we had even sniffing the top 40 was Griffith.

I would rather us not have players racking up tackles because that would mean the other offense is moving the ball. The skins' defense just likes to keep the opposing offense from scoring and cause 3 and outs. So far they have been doing that with few acceptions.

First off, good post.

Tackles are recorded by the home teams' (I dont know what you call them exactly) stats people. So players like Urlacher and Lewis always seem to have inflated numbers.

As others have stated, with an offense that eats up clock, and a defense that has a lot of 3 and outs, the Redskins defensive players wont have nearly as many tackles usually, especially when the bye week was so early. Give it some time and the numbers will start to even out somewhat.

Archived