Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This team will be rolling come December

GSF

While I know there are still a few whining about yesterday's loss, I think most fans that have really been paying attention can see that this team has really come a long way in recent weeks. Yes we lost a game we should have won yesterday due to miscues and bad breaks, but offensively, we played the best we have since Gibbs' return. Brunell was sharp, pass protection was excellent, and the running game was rolling. I actually think we would have won easlily if Gibbs had kept feeding Portis the ball in the third quarter.

Now consider this: We still are at the beginning of this journey with a very new team. Gibbs' is still shaking the rust off and getting comfortable again, and we are still only 1 season and 4 games into a 5 year plan. We still have a lot of new players like Patten, Moss, Rabach, Jansen(injury), and Brunell getting used to each other.

What we are seeing now is a team finding its identity and starting to gel. We still are having some of the miscues mistakes, but even in the early stages of "gelation", Gibbs offense is starting to dominate like it did in the old days.

Now consider this: The best teams in the nfl, Pats, Eagles, Colts, and Bolts have all been in the same systme with most of the same players for several years. Manning, Brady, McNabb, and Brees know their respective offenses inside and out, as they know the tendancies of the players around them. They have have that connection between players that you only get playing together for long periods of time.

I predict that over the next several weeks the Skins offense is going to really come together. The oline is going to become a dominant force, Brunell is going to get more comfortable with Moss and Patten, and Portis is going to get much more comfortable with the skins running schemes. Gibbs will scrape of the final flakes of rust and become as sharp and presise with his offense as he always was. The miscues will happen less and less, and the team will never shoot itself in the foot as it did yeasterday.

Barring injuries, this team is going to be really rolling late in the season. The defense will keep us in all the games, and the offense will start to really capitalize on all of the opportunities. I now believe we will make the playoffs and win at least 1 game in the playoffs. An if you like the sounds of that, just think how good this team will be in the seasons to come. :cheers:

The play calling was pretty interesting yesterday. It looked like there were some nice new wrinkles in there. The only play I didn't like was a 3rd and one with Brunell going out of the shotgun. He threw an incomplete pass.

I loved involving Cooley and the backs more in the passing game. What a difference it made.

That was well said! I also agree that we will be rolling come December for all the reasons stated. I wish all Skins fans could see things in this light. The negativity that surrounds JG & GW is being brought to attention by either people ignorant to the game or people just looking to start controversy. True Skins fans and football fans in general understand that this team is turning the corner and gathering steam!

Gibbs looked like he was very comfortable calling the game . . . moving the ball at will. Giants friends in NY are calling me to tell me they're a little worried about our O. Our O?! This team is gelling in dog years . . . can't wait to see how they look week 17!

Now everyone say a prayer in whatever fashion you like (athiests, sing HTTR) that the Skins have no major injuries - that's all that can stop this team from the playoffs, I am finally ready to say it . . .

I hope so. I think the AFC West is the best team in the AFC and we will prob go 2-2 or 1-3 against them. I think we beat Oakland, and probably KC. LT might be too much for us to handle though... I am glad however that we get to play the NFC West (2nd worst division in football, first being the NFC North). Because I believe we will go 4-0 or 3-1 against them (possible loss at Rams). So it's going to all come down to the division basically, which our last 3 games are. It's gonna come down to the wire, folks, and I'm looking forward to it.

Exactly. It finally looks like Joe Gibbs has learned how to utilize Clinton Portis to his full potential.

Last year and the first few games this year almost all of his runs were straight up the middle. He isn't a power runner like that. Yesterday I saw a few tosses and misdirections. It looked like the Clinton Portis we traded for.

And with our coaching staff, this team can only get better.

The play calling was pretty interesting yesterday. It looked like there were some nice new wrinkles in there. The only play I didn't like was a 3rd and one with Brunell going out of the shotgun. He threw an incomplete pass.

I loved involving Cooley and the backs more in the passing game. What a difference it made.

especially since moss was open on the play and portis had a 5.15 average

The one thing that no one seems to have mentioned(forgive me if I overlooked it) is that we have 2 back-to-back sets of home games late in the year...with road games to st. louis and arizona mixed in...our schedule gets a lot better after TB. Not to look too far ahead, but for once the schedulers might have given us a break. All the more beneficial for a team that could be "rolling" in December.

Archived