Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Turnover ratio needs to improve

frankbones

It really is amazing that we are 3-0 when we have lost the turnover battle every week. Take a look at these rankings for +/- ratios.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-TURNOVERS/2005/regular?sort_col_1=9&_3:col_1=9&_3:col_2=3

We are 26th overall. Green Bay, Minnesota, Houston, Baltimore, New England, and New Orleans are the only teams that are worse. None of those teams have winning records. New England is struggling this year, wonder why? The 8 teams above us are .500 or below.

Now look at the top of the chart. Cinci, NYG, Pittsburgh, Denver, Atlanta, and Tampa Bay are the Top 6. I know it's early, but it is indictative to the importance of the turnover. Can you imagine if we win the turnover margin +3 against Denver this weekend or next Sunday in KC? We'll win in a cakewalk.

If there is any criticism that you can level on Gregg Williams' defense in DC, it is that we haven't created that many turnovers. We were 22nd last year, and 3rd to last so far this year. I'm not pointing the finger at GW, players make plays. Hopefully, (and I hate to bring Lavar into this) when LA starts getting some more PT, Rogers gets more comfy(he almost got one against Seattle), and our secondary gets a little more healthy, we will be able to generate some more turnover's. This offense should be able to expect alittle more help from our D in that aspect.

Look at the Giants. Yes, their offense has looked good. But their defense, while somewhat porous, has gotten them 13 turnovers in 4 games. We have 2 in 3 games. Unless Plummer goes Ramsey second week against the Giants last year on us, than I doubt we will match that total. Look at this:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-TOTAL/2005/regular?sort_col_1=4&_1:col_1=4

The Giants are avg. 353 yds/game and are ranked 8th. We are ranked 14th at 340.3 yds/game. That is not much people, but they are avg. 34 points a game(#1) and we are avg. 14.3(27th).

If we can starting take the ball away, I think we are in really good shape.

I agree, but this is one problem we cant pin on the offense. The reason our TO ratio sucks is because our defense doesnt force any, not because our O turns it over too much. We have TWO turnovers forced on defense, there are only a few teams with fewer.

I agree, if the defense would start to get the offense some good field position by causing turnovers, then I would think that we would be able to put up more points which would put less pressure on our defense. But it is a good sign when your losing in the turnover ratio and are still coming out with wins. I don't know how the skins' are doing it, (losing the turnover ratio and winning the three game with a combined 6 points) but I really don't care

I agree, but this is one problem we cant pin on the offense. The reason our TO ratio sucks is because our defense doesnt force any, not because our O turns it over too much. We have TWO turnovers forced on defense, there are only a few teams with fewer.

Exactly my point. I'm saying if the defense caused more turnover's we would have a point total. Imagine if our defense caused 10 turnovers so far. We would have blown out teams instead of playing these close games.

Is anyone else slightly disappointed in Sean Taylor so far? He was such a turnover machine at Miami. Other than the Crayton hit(which was a fumble), he hasn't really stood out on the defense.

On the play where we blitzed 8 and Bobby Engram got down to the 4 yard line in the 3rd, Taylor was late getting over to Engram and when he did get there it seemed like Engram got 15 more yards.

Exactly my point. I'm saying if the defense caused more turnover's we would have a point total. Imagine if our defense caused 10 turnovers so far. We would have blown out teams instead of playing these close games.

Is anyone else slightly disappointed in Sean Taylor so far? He was such a turnover machine at Miami. Other than the Crayton hit(which was a fumble), he hasn't really stood out on the defense.

On the play where we blitzed 8 and Bobby Engram got down to the 4 yard line in the 3rd, Taylor was late getting over to Engram and when he did get there it seemed like Engram got 15 more yards.

Yeah, Taylor didn't look himself during that drive. I think he was more hurt then he let on.

Archived