Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey in the fold

rtandler

This according to NFL Insiders.com

Ramsey To Sign When 'Skins Return

by Lane Adkins of NFLinsider.com, August 1, 2002 at 7:08pm ET

The Insiders has learned this afternoon that quarterback Patrick Ramsey has agreed to terms with the Washington Redskins.

Ramsey, the first-round draft selection of the Redskins will sign his contract when the Redskins return from the exhibition game in Tokyo, Japan.

Blondie, you have struck @ the heart of the matter:wave:

My baby blue's tell me (hope:laugh: ) Ramsey is our next Joey T:high: At least a cut above Shuler, Frerotte, Etc............

As as the tune goes, "I like dreamin'"........

Originally posted by Brave

That is good news.

He's more than likely lost a shot at starting one of the preseason games, but you never know.

Ramsey is helped by the fact that the Skins play five preseason game this year. Most teams are just a few days into their camp now, so Ramsey won't be all that far behind.

Perhaps RT, but QBs that holdout are often working with the third team. It's tough to make things work well enough to move up the charts from there.

We'll have to wait and see what kind of shot Spurrier gives him.

Originally posted by redman

Rich, I think the point is that he'll be pretty far behind 3 (certainly 2) veteran QB's who know the offense a heck of a lot better than he does. That's his primary competition. :)

I was more addressing the possibility of his getting a good shot in upcoming exhibition games.

I have no doubt that his holdout has moved him down to #4 on the depth chart and that it will seriously hurt his chances of getting significant playing time this season.

IIIIIIIIIIIII'm not so sure. I think Ramsey could possibly see significant playing time this year if his ability is really that much better than his counterparts. Honestly, the QB's that we have don't have allllll the talent in the world, and anything can happen, so you never know.

Ramsey to the rescue! He still has the whole month of August to catch up and will get some needed playing time in the pre-season. I think he helped himself by voluntarily showing up to mini-camp. He did not have to do this, but he did, because he has a great attitude and is a winner! He is also smart and will be able to pick the system up faster than most people realize! He was already becoming sharp and comfortable in it just a few short weeks ago!

Sure, he is behind, but he has the tools to catch up and he could still be our Tom Brady by later this year! To write him off this year for only missing week and a half of camp is insane! He will show everybody why he is the future of our team! With Spurrier running the show, this kid will get a fair shot and a real chance to make some noise this year. We are not talking Marty-ball here! There are opportunities in the Spurrier system! Spurrier is not a typical coach and none of his quarterbacks have ever been assigned just clipboard duty. Hail to Ramsey and the Redskins!

Originally posted by Hoosierskin

I think he helped himself by voluntarily showing up to mini-camp. He did not have to do this, but he did, because he has a great attitude and is a winner! He is also smart and will be able to pick the system up faster than most people realize! He was already becoming sharp and comfortable in it just a few short weeks ago!

Some good points there, Hoosierskin, but let's not go overboard. Virtually all draftees, signed or not, participate in mini camps and various other preseason programs. The team insures them, guaranteeing some kind of compensation if the player should be injured and the player can take out some other insurance if necessary.

And, true, Ramsey is smarter than the average bear but that doesn't mean he'll ever be able to replace the reps he missed in camp this year.

'and a babe shall lead them' :laugh:

well, boys, don't count on that in 2002. rookies take their lumps in the NFL and holdout rookies only delay the process of taking their lumps.

there is no magic elixir for Ramsey. arm or not he has to be able to integrate a lot of knowledge with what he is experiencing in practice on the field, and that combination takes a while to get down.

often you hear the comment that 'now the player has a grasp of the plays and the calls, but needs to learn how to execute them'.

that is what Ramsey has missed out on, the chance to get the reps in executing what he now knows from his book learning.

Ramsey may get a chance to play this year but it appears as if it will come either because other players get hurt or because the team has fallen out of the race and decides its time to get Patrick some live fire action.

In either case, Ramsey's appearance on the field likely does not bode well for winning games in the 2002 season.

Right on rtandler; Thanks for the good news!

Blondie, you are something else. Haven't we seen you as a commentator on ESPN during the football season??? ;)

What I will look for from Ramsey with the 3rd team:

A. Does he pick up where he left off, before TC.

B. Does he actually have a smoother rythm in his throws than when he first arrived and get the attention (command respect) of his offense.

C. Does he make everyone around him, play better by that leadership.

D. How well he works with clock management and the use of timeouts.

So Baby Heath is about to sign. Why wait until the Skins get back? Hmmm. IF the deal is done; then Baby Heath can sign now. Not all the Skins management is in Japan.

I think he did miss some valuable time. Chances of him getting some mop up duty are slim. Sorry, but I believe the only way youi get experience is by playing. Frankly, I predict he'll not last thru camp. You want to know which QB will be on IR- you're looking at Baby Heath as the #1 candidate.

Hip Hop Maxim: "Don't hate the playa, hate the game".

Don't want to come off too salty over here, but when SOS gives Ramsey the nod sometime this season (and I hope he doesn't, so he can progress naturally as all rookies should - precisely why this holdout meant jack ish), I'll be cackling my heads off when y'all fellate his skill set and pat one another on the back with "we knew he was the best!". OK, OK, I'm not really mad at'cha. I'm just saying, all that ire and ink spilt on a short holdout which means little in the grand (re: several season) scheme of things.

I know we're all antsy to get cracking on this o so tantalizing season, but beware the ill effects of getting your het up - it may impede appreciation for many seasons down the line. I know I'll be eyes-a-twinkle when the young buck gets his first NFL snap.

Archived