Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

View from the Other Side: Seattle Seahawks (Merged 2X)

Om

the redskins had one of the best defenses in the nfl last year....what was there final record. case closed seattle 21 redskins 15

What was the Cowboys record last year?

Raiders 45 Cowboys 13

See? It can work both ways.

Or how about this one: Redskins 14 Dallas 13

CASE CLOSED

No disrespect intended but how can you claim to be one of the best defenses when you've only played the Bears (with a rookie QB) and the Cowboys mediocre offenses? You may very well have an excellent defense, but I think it's premature to say so based on those two opponents. Yes, I know the 'skins had a good defense last year, but we aren't playing last year's team. Even the best defenses get worn down if they are on the field too long. I suspect that the Redskin offense is going to be suffering a number of three and outs which will put your D on the field too long and too often.

And what have you seen to doubt our D? I need specifics here....

I haven't seen anything to say either way. I just don't believe you can make those kinds of claims based only on the games against the Bears and Cowboys. Against the Bears you were going up against a Rookie making his first ever NFL start. Against the Cowboys you didn't get a single sack or turnover and the Cowboys had the advantage in time of posession. That's not enough to say that the Redskins D sucks, but it should be enough to give you pause before declaring them one of the best. I think it's safe to say that the Seahawks offense will be the biggest challenge so far this year for the Redskins. If they hold the Seahawks to under 21 points, then I think you can say you have a pretty good defense.

I haven't seen anything to say either way. I just don't believe you can make those kinds of claims based only on the games against the Bears and Cowboys. Against the Bears you were going up against a Rookie making his first ever NFL start. Against the Cowboys you didn't get a single sack or turnover and the Cowboys had the advantage in time of posession. That's not enough to say that the Redskins D sucks, but it should be enough to give you pause before declaring them one of the best. I think it's safe to say that the Seahawks offense will be the biggest challenge so far this year for the Redskins. If they hold the Seahawks to under 21 points, then I think you can say you have a pretty good defense.

One could turn this around and say that if the Skins score 17 or more, then the Seahawks have a pretty bad defense.

I know for the past few weeks that there has been 1 or 2 guys going to opponents website talking trash in the name of ES.....if you see this kindly tell them to stop and STFU.

We don't like trolls and neither do fans of other teams in NON-Rant forums like ES.......

We've had a few Seahawk trolls pop-up but not much (not nearly as much as DallASS trolls) and I hope that the Seahawks can say even less about Skins fans or ESers in general.

Thanks.

i dont "troll" i just respectfully discuss some of their statements. trollings for ___________(fill in the blank)

I just don't believe you can make those kinds of claims based only on the games against the Bears and Cowboys.

No one claiming our confidence in our D is based on two games this season. Our confidence is garnered from a continuation of performance from the previous season to what we've seen so far this season. In fact, you might consider the keyword here to be Continuity. Candid conversations on this forum with our Asst. HC - Defense has only solidified our confidence in his system and in the arsenal of personnel at his disposal.

One could turn this around and say that if the Skins score 17 or more, then the Seahawks have a pretty bad defense.

We're not the ones claiming to have [one of the] best defense in the NFL. You haven't answered akseahawkfan's point about making that claim based on two games against offenses which, he points out, are arguably not too threatening.

(edit) Sorry, skinsfan12, didn't see your post. Since you're claiming continuity from last year, I can see why you don't use the two games of this season as the primary indicators of how your defense will be. I would just point out that every year is a new year -- and in our case, that's a very good thing.

Look no farther than skinsfan12's post. And I 'll add there is a confidence born of demonstrated ability. Many of the same criticism's of the defense's short comings last year are prevelant this year. Yet the D is doing, ( so far), essentially the same thing it did last year. Stepping up. If in fact one were to judge the offenses mediocre, then the D has done pretty much what it's supposed to do against such competition.

I agree 100%. I would be VERY disappointed if the Seahawks gave up 17 or more offensive points to the Redskins. Yes, that would be an indication that the Seahawks D is not nearly as much improved as I think they are.

We're not the ones claiming to have [one of the] best defense in the NFL. You haven't answered akseahawkfan's point about making that claim based on two games against offenses which, he points out, are arguably not too threatening.

(edit) Sorry, skinsfan12, didn't see your post. Since you're claiming continuity from last year, I can see why you don't use the two games of this season as the primary indicators of how your defense will be. I would just point out that every year is a new year -- and in our case, that's a very good thing.

Your good year is irrelevant to our defense that remains largely intact from last year and is still running in the same system. I guarantee you we shut Alexander down. Unless he carries the rock 30+ times, he won't see triple digits. Rushing TD's ? We only allowed 7 all last year. One this year after a fumble inside our own 20 on a kickoff return. Both the Jones bros are respectable backs.

I realize Alexander is on fire right now, but stopping the run is what we do. You'd have to nickel and dime us to death in the passing game to score. Our secondary isn't average either. We gave up one TD on a flea flicker. Smoot or no Smoot, Pierce or no Pierce, our defense has not skipped a beat.

Some Cowboy fanatic came here claiming the same thing "rookie QB...that was last year...blah...redundant...blah...." and that Dallas would get 20-27 points in the win. I told him I personally didn't see Dallas scoring over 13 unless they got it from a defensive touchdown or a special teams TD - and they didn't.

When I see evidence to the contrary, I'll reserve the right to say the Skins have one of the leagues top 3 defenses.

No one claiming our confidence in our D is based on two games this season. Our confidence is garnered from a continuation of performance from the previous season to what we've seen so far this season. In fact, you might consider the keyword here to be Continuity. Candid conversations on this forum with our Asst. HC - Defense has only solidified our confidence in his system and in the arsenal of personnel at his disposal.

Perhaps you are right. Like I said, I haven't seen anything to suggest that the Redskins D sucks. I just haven't seen anything THIS YEAR to suggest that they are even as good as they were last year (which I agree they were good). Against teams like Chicago or Dallas, I would expect a lot more domination by a GREAT defense. There is nothing to indicate that they are dominating in that manner.

Continuity is a word that you can use with the Seahawks offense as well. They are returning the same team that ranked in the top 10 of just about every offensive category and then improved their receivers in the off season. However, I still have to see them produce this year. All last year does is set the bar, the real test is to see them improve on what they have done in the past. Whether it is year to year, or game to game, a champion is constantly improving. The Seahawks have done that this year from game to game.

I can't remember if I posted this here or on another forum, but I think this is a statement game for both teams. Neither team has proved anything up to this point based on their games so far. The Redskins need to show they can stop a good offense at home, and the Seahawks need to show they can beat a good defense on the road.

If the Seahawks Offense and the Redskins Defense basically fight to a draw, then it will come down to whether the Seahawks Defense is better than the Redskins Offense. From what I've seen, read or heard, I'll take the Seahawks D in that matchup.

ya know until Seattle actually does something I can't worry about them

all except them tarnishing the redskins legacy

I would say the same thing about the Redskins on the "doing something" part unless you're still hanging on to that "legacy". Doug Williams and Mark Rypien were great... but they're gone along with the glory days.

Your good year is irrelevant to our defense that remains largely intact from last year and is still running in the same system. I guarantee you we shut Alexander down. Unless he carries the rock 30+ times, he won't see triple digits. Rushing TD's ? We only allowed 7 all last year. One this year after a fumble inside our own 20 on a kickoff return. Both the Jones bros are respectable backs.

This is 2005. What happened last year doesn't mean squat. If Alexander gets 20 or more touches, Redskins lose. It's as simple as that. If you take Alexander out of the game, you have a chance, but I really doubt that happens. Because in order to do so you're going to have to commit 8 or more in the box and the short passing game will slice and dice you. That's the bread and butter of the WCO

I realize Alexander is on fire right now, but stopping the run is what we do. You'd have to nickel and dime us to death in the passing game to score. Our secondary isn't average either. We gave up one TD on a flea flicker. Smoot or no Smoot, Pierce or no Pierce, our defense has not skipped a beat.

He's not on fire just right now, he has been on fire for the past three seasons. Dropped passes is the only thing that has stopped this offense in the past, well that and Holmgren going away from Alexander at some pretty perplexing times. However, the team isn't dropping passes or making really stupid mistakes since the Jags game. Once again, your defense has not been challenged THIS YEAR the way they will be challenged on Sunday. The proof is in the pudding. We'll see what they got for real Sunday morning.

ya know until Seattle actually does something I can't worry about them all except them tarnishing the redskins legacy

Let's see, the Redskins last winning season play off appearance was 1999. Since that time the Seahawks have had 4 winning seasons and two consecutive play off appearances. You have to go quite aways back to find a time when the Redskins are more successful than the Seahawks. I think it's the Seahawks that would be tarnished with a loss to the Redskins.

This is 2005. What happened last year doesn't mean squat. If Alexander gets 20 or more touches, Redskins lose. It's as simple as that. If you take Alexander out of the game, you have a chance, but I really doubt that happens. Because in order to do so you're going to have to commit 8 or more in the box and the short passing game will slice and dice you. That's the bread and butter of the WCO

He's not on fire just right now, he has been on fire for the past three seasons. Dropped passes is the only thing that has stopped this offense in the past, well that and Holmgren going away from Alexander at some pretty perplexing times. However, the team isn't dropping passes or making really stupid mistakes since the Jags game. Once again, your defense has not been challenged THIS YEAR the way they will be challenged on Sunday. The proof is in the pudding. We'll see what they got for real Sunday morning.

I guarantee you Alexander will be shut down. He may get a short yardage TD. He won't see triple digits with 20 carries. 30 carries or no go. Guaranteed.

Why would last year not count when it's the same system with most of the same players? You stated Alexander has been on fire the last three years didn't you?

Either way, Sunday should be a good guage for both our teams as you have a good offense and we have a good defense. May the best defe...I mean team win.

Edit: here's a little stat for you. In 2003 Alexander carried the ball 22 times for 94 yards and one TD. You think if he had those stats you'd win right? Wrong. We won that game 27-20

Archived