Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ Bailey

moneyede

Champ didn't have a great year last year but I look at his whole career and who he's gone up against. When he held Keywshawn in check while at the Jets , Keyshawn was like Champ didn't do _hit. Champ played well against him twice. Keyshawn, Marvin Harrison, Joe Horn, David Boston, Eric Moulds, Chris Chambers, Torry Holt, Koren Robinson and Santana Moss to name a few. Champ was solid against all of them. I woulda loved to see Champ in this system.

David Boston and Joe Horn have both had big games against Bailey, but point taken.

It may be hard to fathom since the Madden NFL video game version of Champ is so godly. but the real Champ Bailey has returned only 2 picks for TD's in his career, his second coming a week ago. Statistics (I found this here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings.php?p=2840&cat=11z) show that he was challenged often, and was beaten often. None of these FACTS should go out the window just because he stepped in front of a pass Drew Brees telegraphed. I guess we should send Nathan Vasher to the hall of fame as well since Ramsey and Harrington forgot what color jersey he was wearing and decided to throw the ball right to him.

This is the most significant part of this guy's argument:

"Despite the high profile nature of playing cornerback in the NFL, and despite all the attention (and money) lavished upon the position by NFL teams, cornerback is arguably the most difficult position for fans to evaluate. There are a number of reasons for this. The vast majority of football fans watch the games on television, and ninety percent of cornerback play is invisible on television broadcasts. The corners disappear just after the snap, and unless the ball is thrown in their direction there is no way to know how well the corner was handling his assignment."

He is 100% right about that, and only people who can watch game film that shows the whole field can really comment on how good any cornerback really is for the majority of snaps of a season.

David Boston and Joe Horn have both had big games against Bailey, but point taken.

What games were those? I've never even seen Boston complete a pass on Bailey. I recall the last season Arizona was in the NFC East, and Smoot got torched by Boston, as he did often. This was when Marvin Lewis was coordinator and he forced Champ and Smoot to stay on one side of the field.

Archived