Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone know anything about the legal system?

skinsfan83

Skinsfan83,

Really sorry about your situation. I'm sure you know by now not to discuss this with anyone especially on a public forum. You should also avoid talking about it with your friends, etc. There's almost no privilege except spousal privilege , i.e., the only person they can't subpoena and force to testify against you is your spouse - usually. And the extent of that protection is regulated by each state. So, please hush. No more admissions please.

I'm a crim def attorney in DC but no lawyer is going to give you legal advice on a message board except to stop talking and posting. Almost all states have Criminal Justice Act provisions for court appointed attorneys - luckily in DC most of the best and most experienced crim lawyers are also available as court appointed - so if you are unable to afford an atty the ct will so advise you that you are entitled to a "free" lawyer. Weren't you already advised of this? I have no idea where you are and where you were arrested but if you don't qualify for a free atty then this is not the time to bargain hunt. Go get a well respected crim def attorney (someone who knows the local prosecutors well and can work with them - preferably a former local prosecutor) and listen to what they tell you.

There are usually programs for first time offenders that allow for defendants to go into diversion or be placed on probation before judgment so that you may end up with a set aside or expunged conviction. It really depends on how well your case is handled and how much pressure there is in your area to punish illegal gun possession.

Good luck. I hate to see people in trouble - hence my chosen profession.

Archived