Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone just watch Wlad vs. Samuel Peter on HBO boxing?

NoCalMike

Well the opening fight was Cotto vs. a Hard Puncher, and I will tell you what, Cotto has a chin, but he has a lot to work on because if he fights like this against some of the better fighters, they won't let up when they have him hurt.

On to the main event, Wladimir Klitz looked like a completely different fighter, in fact he fought much like his brother Vitali does. I think Emanuel Stewart is going to mold Wladimir into the next Lennox Lewis, meaning the style he fights. Get in your punches, and get out before the other guy has a chance. It worked wonders for Lennox Lewis after he hired Stewart following his loss to Oliver McCall, and for one fight, it looks like Wladimir is bearing the fruits of this new partnership as well......

Thoughts?

I'm not buying it - I think Stewart's a great trainer, but Klitschko looked like he was going down several times tonight. If Peters had Stewart as a trainer, and developed some stamina and endurance, he'd be the next heir-apparent in the heavyweight arena. Klitschko's got ballerina-legs, he's a great athlete and boxes beautifully at times, but he lacks a killer instinct, and is prone to take big shots his legs can't stand up under.

Klitschko was fortunate to escape tonight. Lucky for him, he had Emmanuel in there to remind him to box, move, use his jab, and hold when he could. Otherwise, he'd have lost that fight tonight.

Give Peter another year and he knocks Wladimir out quick. His endurance was poor, couldn't close when he had the chance. Also, he needs to learn to counter someone who jabs then holds. He is still raw, but will make an impact once he has a little more training under his belt. If he had Emanuel, he could be champ of a pretty weak heavyweight division.

peter never fought quality opponents so i figured he would lose, but he damn near knocked him out. his corner was piss poor.

klitschko has some tools, but he is a bum. manny stewart had to build his fragile confidence up the entire fight AND he was dropped 3 times. he will win alot of fights because he is so big and strong but he gives new meaning to having a "glass jaw".

Lets not forget, the first knockdown was a punch in the back of the head as the referee was breaking a clinch, and the second knockdown wasn't even from a punch, in fact I am not even sure WHY Wlad went down because the replay clearly showed there was not even a punch thrown. Third knockdown Wlad seemed to trip over the ropes because he didn't realize where he was in the ring.

I don't think Wlad is great, and Vitali is definately better, but I think it is too soon to think Peter will be a great heavyweight. He has the look and style of Ray Mercer, where because of his great chin, he will allow himself to just stand there and get clobbered for 12 rounds, hoping to land a big punch.

Lets not forget, the first knockdown was a punch in the back of the head as the referee was breaking a clinch, and the second knockdown wasn't even from a punch, in fact I am not even sure WHY Wlad went down because the replay clearly showed there was not even a punch thrown. Third knockdown Wlad seemed to trip over the ropes because he didn't realize where he was in the ring.

I don't think Wlad is great, and Vitali is definately better, but I think it is too soon to think Peter will be a great heavyweight. He has the look and style of Ray Mercer, where because of his great chin, he will allow himself to just stand there and get clobbered for 12 rounds, hoping to land a big punch.

Pretty much agree with everything you said, thats dead-on, although the only other point I'd make is that one reason Peters hit him in the back of the head is because Klitschko was trying to get away from him. I also thought the one knockdown was dubious at best. To be fair, Vitali was holding most of the fight and should have at least had a point deducted.

Wlad looked like a bigger John Ruiz out there. He's got a long ways to go, but in a weak heavyweight division, he still has a pretty good future ahead of him.

I really am bothered by the turning and running strategy. I hope that's just his instinct and not something Manny taught him. He deserves to get hit in the back of the head everytime he turns his back, maybe that'll teach him a lesson.

I agree completely...The first time I saw Vlad fight was against Ray Mercer...and he pretty much destroyed Mercer in 6 rounds...knocking him down with a head shot for the first time in Mercer's career...I think with Manny Stewart in Vlad's corner, he has a shot...You cannot teach size...and he has it...match that with his boxing skills and he can make some noise.

i gota give it to both of them. that was a great fight! klitchko has a strong chin but definately could have been K.O'd if there was a followup

I rmember a couple of rounds where Klitchko moved around like ALI AND USED his reach to his advantage,, very nice stick and move

waiting for next weeks fight Tarver vs Jones!!!

Archived