Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibb's Grand Plan

NorthEast Skin

Anyone remember when Gibbs first took the HC job the second time one of the things he said is that the team needs to build 'Redskins'. One other thing that he mentioned was that he wants players that lay it all on the line, to give everything that they have. Recently he has mentioned that winning it is not about x's and o's, its about laying it on the line. While the gatorade dump may seem out of place to some, what it says to me is that these guys want to do everything that they can for the Coach. Moss is quoted as saying that he really wanted to win it for Gibbs. Clinton Portis' bear hug of Gibbs states that he understands this also.This is what the Patriots have built.

One of the reasons, in my opinion that Pierce and Smoot were let go is because they were given significant offers from the Redskins and slightly more from other teams and went for the money. Joe Gibbs is building an environemnt where players want to stay here if the money is 'close'.

The players see how hard he works, more importantly they see how much he cares. They are starting to understand what the Dallas game means. This makes them care, he is teaching them what the team means to the city, they are starting to 'get it' because of the Gibbs' grand plan.

Has everyone watched the Locker Room interviews after the game?

It's on redskins.com. All the players are very emotional, I actually thought Marcus was gonna cry.

This team is coming together around Gibbs. It's a great thing.

good lord IS IT. AMEN. the win over dallas, with all odds against them, only adds confidence and fellowship. this team, our team, is going to be great because they are buying into Gibbs style and system. like the coach says, its all about character.

Joe Gibbs is building an environemnt where players want to stay here if the money is 'close'.

The players see how hard he works, more importantly they see how much he cares. They are starting to understand what the Dallas game means. This makes them care, he is teaching them what the team means to the city, they are starting to 'get it' because of the Gibbs' grand plan.

I couldn't agree more. The troops are rallying around the coach. Character won that game on Monday! I hope this is a sign of things to come.

Anyone remember when Gibbs first took the HC job the second time one of the things he said is that the team needs to build 'Redskins'. One other thing that he mentioned was that he wants players that lay it all on the line, to give everything that they have. Recently he has mentioned that winning it is not about x's and o's, its about laying it on the line. While the gatorade dump may seem out of place to some, what it says to me is that these guys want to do everything that they can for the Coach. Moss is quoted as saying that he really wanted to win it for Gibbs. Clinton Portis' bear hug of Gibbs states that he understands this also.This is what the Patriots have built.

One of the reasons, in my opinion that Pierce and Smoot were let go is because they were given significant offers from the Redskins and slightly more from other teams and went for the money. Joe Gibbs is building an environemnt where players want to stay here if the money is 'close'.

Great thread! I am in total agreement with you! Every word!

I don't think you were claiming this, but let me point out a possible implication of what you said above (and I agree with what you said BTW).

Gibbs only wanted guys who wanted to be here. Coles and Gardner flat out said they didn't want to be here. Fine, that's easy.

But might we have offered Pierce and Smoot slightly less money than those other teams on purpose to measure their level of commitment (knowing full well, of course, that we could replace their talents if need be)? :)

I don't think you were claiming this, but let me point out a possible implication of what you said above (and I agree with what you said BTW).

Gibbs only wanted guys who wanted to be here. Coles and Gardner flat out said they didn't want to be here. Fine, that's easy.

But might we have offered Pierce and Smoot slightly less money than those other teams on purpose to measure their level of commitment (knowing full well, of course, that we could replace their talents if need be)? :)

I have thought of that as well. I do beleive that G.W. knew very well the talent level of both Smoot and Pierce against thier possible replacements and let the Coach and Vinny know that he would like to keep them, but if it blows the cap or more importantly upsets the team chemistry, forget it. I specifically remember the price of Springs signing bonus coming into play. I beleive they offered Smoot 10 million (same as Springs a year earlier) and he signed for 10.8. I think they were saying, without saying it, that Springs is the better player and if you want to go for that difference then good luck.

Pierce was simply at the point where G.W. help maximize his value and we made a choice that his talent outweighed the cost. Based on Marshall's play I think G.W. knew what he was doing.

I wholeheartedly agree with the Gibbs Grand Plan. I remember when all those aged free agents were brought in and Norv wasn't a disciplinarian. Chaos reigned. Players only cared about themselves. Bruce Smith ony wanted his individual record. Deion Sanders just wanted to dress sharp.

Character, team, faith, hard work. Those are the hallmarks of a Joe Gibbs team and I believe the image that the people in the DC area want to portray for the city. They go a long way in eradicating the STANK of losing this past decade plus.

It's the right track. Let's keep following it regardless of short-term outcomes.

This is a great posting. This was a great win, and the Skins will be able to build off of it in a positive fashion. Parcells actually said it best when he said a loss like this can effect a team for a few games. The opposite is true of a team that wins. Everytime they're down, they'll remember this, and find that little something in them that lays it out there for the rest of the team.

I think the way the defense stepped it up when the Boys were on the 48 just shows that. They would not bend or budge. They game so hard, the offensive line had to hold(penalty). That's because the score was on our side, and it pumped them up just that much more. Any one of us whose been in a competitive game knows the feeling, and how it can make each member of a team feed off of it. That's why core Redskins are so important, they feed off each other. Rather then drain each other with negative attitudes. I'm glad these guys had this moment, and showed up the world with that game. It was awesome.

Archived