Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Great fight saturday night!!!

herman

Sports fans are in for what i think will be a treat this saturday. With all the crap pay-per-view boxing HBO has put on lately, saturday nights HW showdown will be free to HBO subscribers. Ridiculous as it is that Briggs/Mercer & Rahman/Barrett is on PPV but this saturday night is on regular cable. strange but this saturday nights fight between Wladimir Klitschko and Sam Peter may not be for a title but who cares. these 2 guys are two of the top in the division and could be the 2 best by next year.

Wlads story is long and i will not get into it. Lets just say he is an offensive juggernaut that was picked as the hier apparent after Lennox Lewis retired, but was derailed after being violenting KO'd twice in 2 years. He's back and we will find out if his fate is that of Michael Grant, or Lennox Lewis, (Both men were KO'd twice but went in two different directions after the losses) when he faces the African slugger Samuel Peter. We know Sam in the boxing world as the current KO artist of the division. At 6'1" 240 lbs with extremely heavy hands, he has been knocking guys heads off early and often.

Both men are pure power with big ? behind them. Peter is unproven, Wlad must face his chin issue and his lack of poise against pressure fighters. The winner will surely be lifted to star status and will look to unify the sloppy unorganized division.

Should be worth fun! don't miss it!

sam_peter1.jpgwladk02_main.jpg

Saw Peters's last 2 fights....He's a very dangerous puncher and his chin wasn't tested in those fights. Vlad is a very good offensive boxer with no defense and a suspect chin. Should be a great night if they focus on their strengths...Can't wait...the Heavyweight division currently stinks :pooh: The winner will definitely bring some life back to the division...

Outside of Toney-Ruiz (I'm a huge Toney fan.) this is the most intriguing Heavyweight match of the year thus far to me. I'm anxious to see Peter's chin get tested for the first time b/c Wlad will get to him at some point in this fight. I've got Wlad winning this one though, I believe his jab will be able to keep Peter and his looping, telegraphed shots at bay. Peter is far from ruined if he loses though, as it appears that he has the power to put just about anyone down at anytime. If Peter wins convincingly be prepared for HBO to seriously hype him up as the next great heavyweight. Don't believe it though, as any solid counterpuncher with a chin would make Peter look like a fool at this point in his career.

Can't forget about Cotto/Torres on the undercard. Torres steps in for an injured Branco to take on one of the brightest prospects in boxing. Both fighters come in with an undefeated record with Cotto facing a higher level of competition thus far. Little is known about Torres, but you always have to worry about replacement fighters. This could be Cotto's toughest test to date.

Cotto blows out the Branco i saw fight Gatti. these last second replacement fighters can be dangerous..ask Jaurez. I don't think i've ever seen this Torres guy fight. I know hes a Columbian thats 28-0 with 26 KOs (most early) but against very limited opposition. that can be a dangerous guy to face. Just because he hasn't fought anyone of note, doesn't mean he can't punch and Cotto has shown he can be hit often.

But i was truly impressed with Coto's last outing. He handled Abdulaev after a rocky start. I thought Abdulaev would be his demise.

Saturday should be a nice treat for fight fans. it almost makes up for sone of the crap thats been served up lately.

Cotto blows out the Branco i saw fight Gatti. these last second replacement fighters can be dangerous..ask Jaurez. I don't think i've ever seen this Torres guy fight. I know hes a Columbian thats 28-0 with 26 KOs (most early) but against very limited opposition. that can be a dangerous guy to face. Just because he hasn't fought anyone of note, doesn't mean he can't punch and Cotto has shown he can be hit often.

But i was truly impressed with Coto's last outing. He handled Abdulaev after a rocky start. I thought Abdulaev would be his demise.

Saturday should be a nice treat for fight fans. it almost makes up for sone of the crap thats been served up lately.

Right, Branco is crap. I'm sure the only reason HBO approved him was because he has a bit of name recognition from fighting Gatti for that meaningless belt. I've yet to see Torres fight too. I've been looking for a torrent of any of his fights, but I've been unlucky so far. I'm near certain that Torres was going to be named Cotto's mandatory after the Branco fight, so this fight gets the inevitable out of the way. I agree with you though, Torres could come out and look like Humberto Soto. With the way that Cotto has been protected up to his point, I doubt his camp/Top Rank would let him in there with a complete live body. I'm eager to see how Cotto's beard holds up though. Chop Chop had him on queer street last year. A fighter with any bit of finishing ability would've had Cotto down. But hell, even Pretty Boy Floyd has been hurt by Chop Chop. Not as bad as Cotto, but he was hurt.

Boxing is on a nice run right now. Two weeks ago we got to see Pacquiao do what he does, Morales upset and perhaps a new star being born in Zahir Raheem. Last week showcased Sugar Shane and MAB against overmatched opposition. This week we get to see a heavyweight bout that almost certainly go the distance while seeing the next potential Puertorican superstar. The week after we get our choice in cards: Byrd/Williamson, Silence Mazabuke/Rafael Marquez (This will be a great one.) and Toney/Guinn on Showtime. The other option of course features Jones/Tarver III, plus you get to see two superb prospects in Kid Diamond and Andre Ward on the undercard. Then of course the following week you get the fight noted in my sig. I can't wait.

i'm splitting the 2 PPV's coming up with 2 other guys so i can see both. i greatly look forward to seeing RJJ humiliated once again and seeing Castillo avenge the loss. I don't think Diego has his heart in the rematch. i don't think he can fight the same fight again but i do believe Castillo can. we do have a nice run coming up. October is usually slow for boxing. last year it was Mayorga/Tito on Oct 2nd and that was it. Oct. is looking good this year.

I'm a Toney fan too. Grew up with him. He is alot cooler than his pre-fight press conferences. We went to the same Jr. High.

Good stuff. I must admit though, part of the reason I love the guy is because of his press conferences. He came to the press conference for the Ruiz fight earlier this year wearing a sombrero and pancho. Misguided and inappropriate, yet appealing to my adolescent sense of humor.

If you still have contact with him get in his ear and tell him to shed some of that weight. It's my belief that he has the skills to beat anyone in the Heavweight division.

It's about to go down...Peter vs Klitschko...Peter by KO in 7...anyone see Torres/Cotto....Torres wasn't bad, but ran out of gas...he did take some punishment...would have been nice if he sucked it up and KO'ed Cotto...Don't like Cotto...He has skills, but i'm not impressed yet...he did earn tonite's victory...anyone with some accuracy and a little bit of power will get him...Floyd Mayweather would destroy him...Let the fight begin...GO PETER!!!

Disappointed in Peter...Vlad is a very good boxer who totally outboxed Peter tonite...Peter needs to learn how to box and not just rely on his KO power...If Peter learns how to box, he'll be dangerous...He does have one helluva chin...VLad tagged him all nite long...those punches eventually caught up to him...the Ref didn't do a good job...Peter's knockdowns of Vlad were punches to the back of head and Vlad held alot after throwing a punch...Heavyweight division is still garbage...Bring on Jones/Tarver3 and Corrales/Castillo2... Roy has something to prove and Castillo is upset about his last fight..These 2 fights should be classics... :cheers:

Archived