Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sept. 16: Joe Gibbs

Die Hard

Coach Gibbs,

Do you spend much time on the speaking circut during the off season or is there a way to get a chance to speak with you about football? Your a big part of the reason I got into coaching and would love a chance to hear you speak or even have a chance to chat with you. Being in a coach in Utah, I don't find too many avenues that lead in your direction. Besides Extremeskins, of course.

Thanks again Coach for bringing us fans closer to the team. Not too many coaches like this much attention all the time. Its much appreciated. Especially from those of us geographically challegend.

Coach,

First off, I love the burgundy hat and hope you continue to wear it.

Secondly, What sort of locker room devide do you expect to see with your decision over starting Brunell? We as fans have heard about the friendship that Ramsey, Cooley, and Jansen share. What role do you serve in keeping egos in check in this type of situation?

Coach Gibbs,

Last year, everyone, including yourself, agreed that the primary reason for the team's 6-10 record was that our passing offense was terrible, and we struggled to score points. In the offseason, you promised to make changes and try to open things up, and acquired some players to help us do so. You also named Patrick Ramsey the uncontested starter. After a little more than one quarter of play in the season opener, you pulled Ramsey out in favor of Brunell. Brunell threw for 70 yards, and the offense ended up scoring only 9 points. It looked exactly like it did last year. In your announcement that Brunell would start against Dallas, you refused to give an explanation for your decision. Can you please give us one now? Because without one, I frankly am going to find it hard to support the team this season.

Coach Gibbs:

Thanks for taking the time to chat with us. Mark Brunell certainly looked healthy and like his old self during the preseason. However, the offensive gameplan seemed to get conservative after he entered the game last Sunday. Does the team still plan to run the modified offense we saw in the preseason (i.e. stretch runs, zone blocking and throwing downfield)?

Coach,

Born in DC, retired to a small NH town, we love the Pats but have been Skins fans for decades.

My question:

While the passing game remained sickly this preseason, and Ramsey's miscues certainly put him on a "short lease", he never really got a chance to prove himself during the regular season.

I feel the kid wasn't given quite enough rope to hang or prove himself.

Mike

First I would like to say that as a True Redskin Fan I want to say how much we all admire and respect you no matter what happens this year; your honest demeanor, work-ethic and high morals defines the true character of this team in so many ways.

If there is one thing that has remained the same over the past 25 years in the NFL it is that when it is all said and done there remains only one Super Bowl Champion. The league today is all about "what have you done for me RIGHT NOW." Patience is a virtue that is few and far between when it comes to today's media and the fans. Do you believe that this dramatic increase in 'outside pressure' is having a negative impact on how you coach the decisions that YOU want to make?

For every fan/media-reporter out there ignorantly bashing your coaching decisions there are a hundred of us who will always have the up-most respect and confidence in what you do day in and day out for this franchise. :cheers:

Coach Gibbs,

I have been a Redskins fan all 19 years of my life ( my family is from D.C. ). We now live in Miami, Florida and follow the skins thanks to the DirectTV Sunday package... well, I have two points to make and I will put them as questions:

:dallasuck 1.) Why do we consistently run on first and second down then pass on third....i found myself predicting nearly 85% of the play calls against the Bears.... If we come out gunning down field Monday night, won't we have the Cowpies off-guard and then use Clinton more effectively? The Dolphins showed what a constant air attack could do even concerning increasing their lead last weekend and I thought why couldnt we follow suit? Okay....

2.) What was our problem getting to Kyle Orton? I assumed we would be blitz happy to start that game and attempt to really rattle the rookie, what happened, and why was it Orton had all day to throw, especially on 3rd down and long when we would rush 3 or 4 men? Could me see more aggression on both sides of the ball against Dallas? I feel thats our only hope of victory.

Thanks for your time. PLEASE restore the glory to the Redskins. We LOVE YOU here COACH! GOD BLESS AND GO SKINS!

In college many teams will defer a decision until the second half if they win the coin toss to begin the game. In the NFL it seems that no one ever does this. Is it even possible to defer in the NFL, and if so, why do you think there is this disparity in strategy? Have you ever thought about defering your decision?

Coach Gibbs,

Thank you for bringing FedEx Field back to life again. My question for you is, What is your stand on Art Monk and not getting the respect he deserves getting into the Hall of Fame? Why does the media say that he was an average receiver?

Even though I don't agree with the moves at QB but I'm not an NFL Coach and I'll accept your judgement. We all are just upset because of the loosing records and we are all just ready to win. Go Skins.

:dallasuck JOE was it goin to take for you to start PATRICK RAMSEY for a whole season to me you have to let him learn i think he is goin to be great so wht is it goin to take to let him start a whole season, ps let him leave some other team deserves him bout like every other qb the redskins have we dont seem to see talent we let them go then they go win super bowls ex brad johnson

Dear Coach Gibbs,

First let me just say that you are a man that I admire and respect more than you will ever know. Not just as a coach, but more as man of faith, honor, and a good human being.

Second: I want to thank you for giving us fans the oppurtunity to watch you on the sidelines again after all these year. It is a dream come true. I have no doubt eventually you will return us to glory. Obviously, by my user name you can see I have the upmost trust in you to guide this ship through the rough waters strait to the promise land.

Finally, my question is this: Antonio Brown hasn't seemed to be able to keep the football in his hands when he's had the oppurtunity. Do you think it would be possible to see if Brian Mitchell could still help the team by returning kicks? He looks like he's still in good shape.

Thank you so much for all you do every day for us fans and the Redskins! I wish you the best with your family and all that you endevour with in life.

Hail to the Redskins! (They should play Hail to the Chief for you, coach! ;) )

Wow gibbs might want to cancel his chat after all these tough Ramsey Questions..

Mr. Gibbs Thanks for taking the time to answer questions with us. I was wondering who is your LEAST favorite coach to coach against? And why? And is there any coach in the league you don't like?

He won't do that. He won't even see the questions except what the Staff submits or asks him.

And if Snyder's was any indication, they'll ask about the QB situation. I kind of hope that they pick Skins24's question because I'd like to see a non-PC response to the 'carousel if the other guy turns it over too' aspect.

Coach Gibbs,

I have long been a stout supporter of the Redskins as long as I can remember. It's a tradition within my family. I am just as big a fan of Joe Gibbs himself and have learned to live with your decisions as I always feel that you will do whats best for the Washington Redskins. With all this in mind, please understand that we trust in your judgement.

It is rather obvious to the Redskin fanbase that the future of the QB position does not lie with Ramsey or Brunnell. Ramsey makes too many key mistakes at inoppertune times and the years have passed Brunnell long ago. I commend you for being as loyal to your players as you always have, but when isi it finally the time to give the ball to the future. Jason Campbell. All we're gonna do is hand the ball off to Portis anyhow. Just make it so that Campbell is aware that he needs to limit his mistakes. To be sure he can throw 6 for 12 completions like our starter did last week. Why noty offer up the experience now? Thanks and good luck this year.

Coach,

"mark had a real bad hamstring pull and he refused to take himself out".

Doesn't that show a selfish non-team oriented attitude?

We wasted a helf a season on that.

Doesn't Patrick throwing 1 pic and 2 touchdowns for 200+ a game superseed Brunell's inability to throw a ball downfield?

You gave Brunell that chance last year and Patrick gets three posessions, what's up with that?

I am living near Dallas Tx, and have been a fan of the Redskins for over 45 years...I beleive that only you and your staff have the skill and ability to pick the right players wether it is the quarterback or whatever...YOU are doing a fine job and hope you and our team the best all year. My wife got me tickets to the home game in DC when they had the top players of all time, and we beat the colts..it was the best time of my life...the Redskins are a # 1 class act...thanks again......Ricky the Rocket Hayes

Coach Gibbs: If Mark Brunell doesn't work out, what are your thoughts on going ahead and starting Campbell. Patrick has proven over the years that he is inconsistent and certainly has the eyes of a very uncertain man in the pocket....it seems that Jason has all the tools and could certainly do no worse than Ramsey and Brunell have performed to date ( if Mark continues like last year). There is a lot to be said for getting experience under fire. Jason has the look of a premier quarterback and exudes a confidence that Mark and Patrick have not shown to date. I know this is a "what if" question but I think it is a good one and time to ask it. We, the lifelong fans, would love to know your thoughts if things turn out as I've outlined. It would be a risk but every call is a risk. Jason's passes even denote confidence as well as his "aura". He throws with certainty, not tentatively as Mark and Patrick have demonstrated to date. Even Terry Bradshaw agrees with this approach and his opinion deserves consideration.

Archived