Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sept. 16: Joe Gibbs

Die Hard

All,

Thanks to Coach Gibbs and the team for getting our questions answered. As discussed, I chose to avoid the issue at QB for reasons expressed in the following thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114510

This is not a perfect decision on my part, I know. I was very pleased with how it went given what we did get answered. I apologize to all of you who wish more detail on the QB situation could have been explored. Please contact me directly if you are upset with my decision or contribute it to the thread linked above.

Coach Gibbs has effectively answered many of the questions we could put to him on the QB issue. Please see the following thread for some of those answers:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114369

You may also visit Redskins.com for the press conference of the announcement.

Art

Coach Joe Gibbs -- Sept. 16, 2005

From Sweet Sassy Molassy

I have a very simple question for you. Our team has lost 14 of 15 games to the Cowboys. Understanding how free agency tends to disrupt the loyalty that some players have, do you feel as if the players feel the same disdain that the fans and coaches feel for such a long-standing rival as the Cowboys? I mean, do they take it with the same pain and anguish that we have every time we lose to these guys? I know it always hurts to lose, but losing to the Cowboys is like excruciating pain.

Joe Gibbs

Definitely it’s a real rivalry. The only thing I’ve said is that we haven’t done our part in holding up the rivalry...We need to get back to where we can beat the Cowboys at some point. I don’t know when that’s going to be. We’re going to work hard towards that and then we can have a good rivalry when we can come back and win some games against them.

From JBooma

What would you say is the biggest difference in the players of today compared to players from your previous coaching years?

Joe Gibbs

I think human nature is pretty much the same. I think the same things motivate us. I’ve said I think the only difference would be that sometimes today, the money has been paid to the players in advance, so they have, in essence, guaranteed money. Now it doesn’t affect most guys but it would have some effect on some. But I think in general, when you talk about people, people are the same. Its been down through history, the same things motivate us, the same things discourage us, and so I really feel like human nature stays the same.

From Flexxskins

I was wondering if you had it to do all over again, would you have stayed a while longer as Head Coach of the Redskins?

Joe Gibbs

No, I think it was the right timing for me. I had a son, Coy, who was playing college football. I missed most of the games with my first son and I just felt like there were a lot of things that had piled up kind of in my life and I felt like if I was to see Coy play and do some other things I wanted to do, I needed to step out at that time. I feel very good about that decision. I think it was the right time for me and I feel good about that one.

From Voice of Reason

Brunell appeared to have much greater zip on his throws this preseason than he did at any point last year. Was he still recovering from the elbow injury he had in Jacksonville, and is he fully healed this year?

Joe Gibbs

Last year the injury that he had was his hamstring, which was against the Giants in the second game last year. You know, if you can’t step and throw, with your legs, you throw a lot with your legs, you step and really fire it and put a lot of pressure on your legs. I think that Mark was beat up from the Giants game, which was the second game of the year at home. If everybody remembers, he pulled his hamstring real bad there, it was black and blue – I gave him no chance to play the next week. But to his credit, he’s such a competitor, he went back out and played anyway. It was probably not the smartest thing to do. So I’d say his leg injury is what cost him last year, not being stronger than what he was.

From Goonery

Is it your wish that Gregg Williams be the person to succeed you as coach of the Redskins when you decide to retire?

Joe Gibbs

I think that decision will be up to Dan. But certainly you know it would be a high recommendation on my part. I don’t think anyone could’ve done much better with the defense than Gregg did last year. We have a lot of our coaches, I think, have head coaching potential that are on our coaching staff and so I’m going to try and support them any way I can. But one thing is I don’t want them to leave. We were able to hold them together last year, and hopefully in the future we’ll be able to do that too.

From sonsofwashington

How close do you feel the team you have now is to being successful (Super Bowl) given your current offensive and defensive strategies?

Joe Gibbs

I think [laughing] ... Super Bowl’s are so hard to get. I would say that we struggled last season. The good thing about the NFL you don’t know what’s going to happen. It’s from one year to the next, you could see some real surprises one way or the other. What I always tell everybody is that my goal is to continually try and build, get the right people together and get our team to play hard.

From portissizzle

Would you please give us you thoughts on the following quote by Marv Levy. "Systems don't win, players do." Do you think you have the players in place to make a run this year?

Joe Gibbs

I sure do like our players. I think we’ve worked hard to getting the right kind of guys. I think we got them. I think we have a good locker room. So, now how talented are we are going to be, how we’re going to play on the field ... (we'll see). But I agree with Marv that you do win with players and our goal here is to add the right kinds of guys to the Redskins.

From Riggins44

At the end of last season, many of the so called experts and talking heads were saying that the game had passed you by. They also said you wouldn’t last the 5 years on your contract. Now, in the Bible it says God doesn’t put anymore on an individual than they can stand. At any point during last year did you feel you made a mistake or regret coming back to the NFL ? Or did you say, “Lord this is enough”!?

Joe Gibbs

I think anytime you make a huge decision like that, you’re involved in something that’s so hard, it’s not going the right way, I think everybody out there can probably sympathize with my emotions. Everybody’s been in something where it’s been real tough. At some point in there, obviously, you have the normal feelings any human being would have, but I do feel like, in the end, when I stop and think about it, I’m in the right place where I’m supposed to be and we’ll just see what that brings.

From LiveStrongSkins

I have a non-stop motor, and a never-say-die attitude. Do you have room for me on Special Teams?

Joe Gibbs

Definitely, we need to put you covering kickoffs! That normally gets rid of guys in a hurry [laughing], I can tell you that, because every kickoff is something very few people want to do. I always laugh when people say that. I think when you stand on the sidelines and you hear them splatter somebody out there you’ll probably change your mind.

From Gridironmike

Can you elaborate on the fact that only one player from your previous stint in Washington has been elected to the Hall of Fame

Joe Gibbs

Yeah, I think it’s a big disappointment. Last year, I tried to do everything I could to help Art -- Art Monk -- because I certainly think he belongs there. A number of our other players, I don’t want to mention them, but I think they deserve consideration. I think we had a great era there. Normally, that’s who’s rewarded, is players that play for great teams over long periods of time and do great things and we had a number of our players, I think, qualify.

From Hailskinz1

Now that you’ve had a chance to use the shotgun, has your mind changed regarding its usability?

Joe Gibbs

You know, we like it. I think we had good experiences with it in the preseason. I think our quarterbacks will be using it in the regular season. I think it has its place in our offense and yeah, I kind of like it.

From SkinsandTerps

What has been the hardest part of coaching in the salary cap era for you?

Joe Gibbs

It’s a little bit of everything really. Salary cap is definitely a part of it…you can only spend so much money. Whereas, when I was here before, as long as Mr. Cooke agreed and we were willing to spend it, we could get it. I’d be in great shape if that was the rules today, but its not. Everybody’s got the same amount of money. But, I also think it’s tough on the field because defenses have changed the way offenses play so there’s a lot going on, on the field…and the point here is that there are a lot of different ways you can get players now. You can get them through free agency, which I like. So some of it you like, some of it you don’t like. But the only way you can get to know something like that is to dive into it and go to work real hard at it, and that’s what we’ve tried to do.

From Griff

I heard Joe Bugel say that on your draft board last year, you had Ben Roethlisberger rated the #1 QB, but you also had Jason rated as high as you had Ben last year?

Joe Gibbs

We had him way up there, I’ll put it that way. I hate to get into comparing him against other people, but we had him way up there. When we took a look on the board at the quarterbacks this year, when we got to Jason I really hadn’t heard a lot about Jason Campbell. I knew who he was and everything, but when we put the films on, he looked very impressive. And we decided we really needed to do some more research. And we did that and we wound up saying that, hey, we felt like he was a top-flight quarterback.

From Jbooma

Have you had any chance to watch any of Tony Stewart’s wins? There’ve been a lot of those this year for your racing team.

Joe Gibbs

I’ve watched the last … when somebody comes in and says “hey, Tony’s leading with 30 or 40 to go,” I’d go out and watch. And he has had a great year. I’m just really proud of JD and the whole management team down there and Tony. I wish we could get our other two cars running like that, but we’re going to hopefully parade Tony through the championship race here at the end of the year and it starts in two weeks.

From Barry Wilburn

Would you consider using Cornelius Griffin as a tight end in the Heavy Jumbo package?

Joe Gibbs

You know, we’ve talked about some of that from time to time. He’s so valuable to us over there, so it makes you a little bit (worried). Obviously we’ve got Mike Sellers. Now if we were to have some injuries that’s something you’d probably talk about. Certainly Cornelius, I think, has played some either tight end or fullback at some point. Of course he volunteers for that. He wants to start, but so far he’s too valuable to us where he is.

From Monkeyskins

When the Redskins win the Super Bowl before your coaching contract is up, will you consider your job done and retire, or will you continue to coach throughout your contract?

Joe Gibbs

[Laughing] Well, I think that would be a dream come true, first of all, lets try and live that one out – winning the Super Bowl. I think for me, I have every intention -- is what I’ve told everybody -- to fulfill that contract. I kind of made a commitment. The second part of that, we need to get back to winning football games. But my commitment right now is I plan on being here.

From Joe Gibbs

Closing statement

Joe Gibbs

Hey guys, we appreciate you all staying hooked up with us! It was kind of fun answering the questions. I get a chance to visit with you all … it’s been fun for me. I hope everybody out there had a great time and thanks for pulling for us!

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

To Coach Gibbs:

NASCAR has long been known for catering to it's fans. From garage access to frequent autograph sessions, the fans and the sport mingle fairly well.

Ever since your return to the Redskins, there has been a push to become more fan friendly. Are you using your NASCAR experience as a model to interact with fans here in the NFL?

Also: Could you tell us what your basic goals are in the preseason and how much emphasis you put on these games?

Thanks for taking the time to address us fans in this forum.

*EDIT*

Opps...sorry Diehard..I'll post in the appropriate thread...:doh:

Originally posted by kleese

DH-- It won't let me access either of those pages. I'll go ahead and post my question here and maybe you could move it later? Thanks.

Coach Gibbs:

As a member of the Hall of Fame, it's quite clear that the "football world" has great respect for your accomplishments. However, there also seems to be a general consenus among media types that the game may have passed you by-- very few, if any, have good things to say about the Redskins in 2005 and beyond. While I am quite sure you keep yourself busy with more important matters, I assume you have heard some of these things. My question is whether or not this has become extra motivation for you and your staff?

Originally posted by truskinsfan18

To Coach Gibbs: To me and most fans, you are the favorite redskin, no matter what player comes to town, he will not surpass the love we have for you. You give us hope every day, that the washington redskins will once again have a successful season. I was wondering, Do you believe that this team, with thie Quarterback, have the potential to win the superbowl, or is it a work in progress?

Originally posted by Canadian Hog

Mr. Joe Gibbs,

While the fans who were around to experience all or part of your first coaching tenure with the Redskins organization are living out a dream by having you back on the sidelines, we also realize that unfortunately there will come a day when you step down as head coach. As fans we are all well aware of the demise of the Redskins organization in terms of its on-field success following your departure after the 1992 season. Since returning to football, in many instances I have noticed how you have stressed the importance of setting up the Redskins organization to be successful well beyond your second tenure as coach. With that being said, I am interested in knowing what your action plan is for ensuring that the failures of the past are not repeated, and that this franchise will be able to produce a winner in the absence of your tutelage down the road?

Originally posted by fmorris

To Coach Gibbs:

As fans we try hard to keep perspective on expectations for the upcoming season. In fact, here at Extreme Skins, we continually research, discuss, argue, and generally analyze the team to the nth degree. We read every shred of Redskin's information we can get our hands on. That's our job.

I state this only because this year we've had to endure a barrage of negativity from so called "experts" which has often wildly contradicted even basic Redskin knowledge. Or reality for that matter.

We were competitive in every game last year, and for fans in the know, this was big. Our expectations are high. Besides winning some ball games, what are your goals/expectations for the season, and has the negativity been a distraction or a sorce of motivation for the players and staff? Thanks Coach!!

Originally posted by a_good_brotha

Dear Coach Gibbs,

I am tired of seeing the Redskins lose to Dallas. Many of the times, it seemed to me that the Redskins had the better team, but yet there has only been 1 win in the last 15 attempts (please feel free to edit this stat). Too many times have I seen the game slip away because of either blown leads, turnovers at the most inoppurtune times, or not being fired up enough to play. What are your plans to get the team ready to play 4 good quarters when they step on the field against the Cowboys?

Originally posted by richard saunders

Joe Gibbs:

Is it possible to call out the fans more before big games?

I know it's difficult in this more PC world, but how about bringing it back to the George Allen days a little....getting everyone fired up.

Originally posted by Johnny_Blaze

Coach Gibbs,

As a fan curious as to how the team prepares on gameday, I was wondering if you would be so kind to run through what you, specifically, and the team, generally, does step by step before a game.

Thank You for your time,

Johnny

Originally posted by DCthomahal

Thanks for the opportunity to ask you a question Coach Gibbs:

Personally, I have to admit I don't care what the Redskins record is these first years of your return (that's not easy to say, but it is seriously how I feel)... as far as I'm concerned you are by far the best man for the job- period.

As a Redskin fan, though, you know I am going to try to be straightforward about anything that seems, from the outside, to warrant attention and improvement.

I have heard lots about several different things being worked on leading up to this year, but I have to say I have not personally heard a single thing written about any specific steps you and/or your staff have taken to make sure plays get in with plenty of time for them to be run. I have heard of a few changes in terms of challenging plays, but would appreciate you commenting on the whole "clock management" issue-- including if it is something you see as needing improvement and have taken specific steps to address.

Thanks for all your great work and all the best!!! -- DCthomahal

And thanks to ExtremeSkins for giving us fans a shot at getting a question asked -- obviously something you did not HAVE to do and is a unique opportunity.

Originally posted by Blondie

Coach Gibbs,

As a devout and long standing Redskin fan living in Dallas all my life, can you explain if the feelings you get before the trip to Dallas are any different than any other game?

Thanks for you time and your devotion to MY team.

Blondie

Originally posted by zoneblitz

To Coach Gibbs:

One of the first things you did upon your return as head coach last year was to make a trade for QB Mark Brunell and he was given a rather large contract. He later proved to be ineffective.

In this year's draft you traded multiple picks to move up to draft QB Jason Campbell.

This appears to many as a lack of confidence in QB Patrick Ramsey as the long-term answer at QB, and many respect the ability of you and your staff to evaluate talent. Do you expect Ramsey to continue his career here beyond the 2005 season, and if so, in what capacity in relation to Campbell?

Thank you, and God bless you for the years of joy you've given all of us as our head coach!

Originally posted by portisizzle

Dear Mr. Gibbs,

Would you please give us you thoughts on the following quote by Marv Levy. "Systems don't win, players do." Do you think you have the players in place to make a run this year?

Thank you.

Chris

Originally posted by Heavy Jumbo

(This question WILL be edited by me later, so if the wording is kind of weird now, I'll try to fix it soon.)

Coach,

During the actual preseason games, how much of the "gameplan" is establishing new players into your system and new ideas into the players and how much of it is deciding who stays on the team and who goes

Originally posted by flexxskins

Coach Gibbs,

My question is somewhat of a two part question. First of all, I was wondering that if you had it all to do again, would you have stayed a while longer as head coach of the Washington Redskins(any regrets in leaving when you did)? I was also wondering if you had ever considered contacting the Redskins orginization about returning as head coach before Dan Snyder eventually contacted you? Thank you sir.

Originally posted by TheDane

Coach Gibbs,

As fans, this preseason we are dying -- dying -- for a sign of success to come in this year. We pore over training camp reports, we view each picture with rabid concern, we watch each preseason game over...and over...and over again -- all to try to glean a glimpse of great things to come. What are some things that we can't see but that you do see, as a Coach, that give you some assurance that the Redskins will be an improved team this year?

= = = = = = = = = =

Kind regards to both, and thanks for their time.

Originally posted by jbooma

Coach Gibbs:

What would you say is the biggest difference in the players of today compared to the players in your previous coaching years?

Have you also had the chance to watch any of Tony Stewarts wins this year for your racing team?

Originally posted by BG

To Coach Gibbs

1. I know I speak on behalf of the vast majority of Redskin fans when I say we can't thank you enough for coming back. So many of us were growing up during your first tenure here and have sincere admiration towards you as a person and our style of coaching.

So my question is, do you still look to Buges, give him a pat on the shoulder and stop for a minute as you say "Buges we are back"? Or has the hard work and pesky media kind of made that fizzle away?

Many of us fans feel that the honeymoon isn't over. It's just in year two. :D

Originally posted by UtahSkinsFanatic

Coach Gibbs,

Since most of the questions are Redskins related, I will ask a NASCAR related one. There are a lot rumors on who your 2006 racing line up will be from a sponsor switching to a different car and driver, to a driver currently outside the organization that might join the team who also will bring his sponsors along, to finally that JGR is going to a 4-car operation next season. What is the plan for next year regarding all this?

Thank you for taking my question. Good luck on the season.

Bill

Archived