Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs: Fourth And One

Spaceman Spiff

Doing some cleaning and I found this book called Joe Gibbs: Fourth And One. It's from 1991...some interesting quotes:

talking about the 1983 opener vs Dallas:

"It didn't make any difference that we had had a stellar first half. It meant nothing that we had 91 more net yards and more than a hundred more passing yards. We even had possession of the ball fifteen minutes longer than the Cowboys. But they won.

The point is to win, not to dominate the stat sheet. "

To me...if you're worried about Brunells passing yards vs Ramsey's in week 1...it doesn't really matter. Just my interpretation. :2cents:

Talking about a game vs. the Raiders at RFK from 1983:

"Plunkett hit Calvin Muhammad with TD passes of 35 and 22 yards in the third quarter. And in the fourth he found Todd Christensen in the end zone for a 2 yarder. What nearly nailed our coffin shut was Greg Pruitt's 97 yard punt return for a TD midway through the last period.

But the Skins were not to be denied that day....With about five minutes to play, Mosely kicked a 34 yarder to make it 35-30. The defense rose to the occasion and got us the ball back late, and Theismann marched us 69 yards on five plays, the last a 6 yard scoring strike to Anthony Washington with about half a minute to play. We won, 37-35.

That's an exciting way to win a game, but you don't want to have games like that every week. Plunkett and Theismann had really put on a show, throwing for 372 and 417 yards. But Joe threw no interceptions to Plunkett's four, and that made the difference."

"Something I like about Jack Kent Cooke...He has never questioned our motives and our dedication. If and when we lose, it's certainly not because we have let down and quit trying. I expect peak performance from myself, my staff, and my players. Sometimes you lose anyway.

I never accept it. I pick a loss apart and can't wait till we face that team again."

"That's an exciting way to win a game, but you don't want to have games like that every week. Plunkett and Theismann had really put on a show, throwing for 372 and 417 yards. But Joe threw no interceptions to Plunkett's four, and that made the difference."

Find an offense that you feel can pass for 417 yards against the Skins defense, and you've got a valid point...lol ;)

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not depend on barely scoring more than the other guy, and have to depend on the defense to win. It didn't much work last year...

Jason

But it sent Carolina to a Superbowl.

Gibbs Football.

You win mostly not because you win, but because the other team losses because of turnovers and penalties.

No TOs

No Penalties

Rush the ball well

Own the line

Play solid D

Move the chains.

Win the special team battle. Own field possition.

Eat the clock. They cant score if they arent on the field.

Own the clock and their D is tired in the 4th quarter.

If you just have an average passing attack to go along with this, youll win.

If you do these things, you win most games.

Archived