Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Owens: Stung by teammates' optimism in wake of injury

tr1

TO is writing an autobiograpy entitled: "All About Me" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Daily News Staff Reports

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/12622496.htm

Terrell Owens says the source of his disappointment with several Eagles teammates, and specifically quarterback Donovan McNabb, is comments they made after Owens' broken leg last season.

During an interview that aired yesterday during ESPN's "NFL Countdown," Owens told Michael Irvin he felt "emotional pain" when McNabb and other Eagles said they didn't need Owens to win the Super Bowl. Portions of the interview, which was taped Tuesday, aired earlier this week.

"I constantly heard guys saying they didn't need me to win," Owens said. "I'm a human being. I have feelings... It really hurt me. It was more hurtful than the pain that I had to endure just going through rehab for 6 ½ or 7 weeks."

Owens added that he was upset by the "tone in which they expressed themselves."

"[They said], 'We don't need T.O. to get to the Super Bowl' - instead of probably putting a more positive spin, 'We're going to win this for T.O. I know he's rehabbing hard,' and things of that nature," Owens said. "That was never the context of [McNabb's] interviews."

Owens said the injury was the turning point in his relationship with McNabb.

"It was fun; it was very cordial," Owens said of their relationship before he was hurt. "We're two guys who both like to have fun, kid around. I would go to his house and hang out. He would do the same here at my house."

Owens' complaints probably strike an interesting chord with McNabb. After McNabb was injured 10 games into the 2002 season, teammates expressed similar optimism about the team's chances and confidence in backups Koy Detmer and A.J. Feeley.

Yesterday, Irvin said that in a subsequent conservation with Owens late last week the wide receiver said he and McNabb talked Friday. During his radio show Friday, Owens indicated that he and McNabb had spoken, but declined to reveal details. Coach Andy Reid, during a Saturday meeting with reporters, also confirmed the conversation between the players.

As for the ability of McNabb and Owens to work together this season, Owens pointed to a touchdown reception on the first play of the Eagles' preseason game against Cincinnati.

"Did you see the first preseason game?" he said. "There you have it."

What did he want them to do, say "oh no, it's all over now" ? They made the playoffs and won their division previously without him, and went on to make the NFCC game without him while he was injured. He is so full of himself he has to think of himself in every situation. He should be HAPPY they did well and took him to the superbowl.

Archived