Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCants is now an Eagle!!!

Cou-!@#$DALLAS-gh

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-eagles-moves&prov=ap&type=lgns

Eagles sign WR McCants; release DE Douglas, Ritchie, Landeta

By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer

September 3, 2005

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Philadelphia Eagles bolstered their depleted receiving corps, signing wideout Darnerien McCants to a one-year contract on Saturday.

The NFC champions also released popular defensive end Hugh Douglas, former starting fullback Jon Ritchie and veteran punter Sean Landeta to reach the roster limit of 53 players.

``Releasing players that have worked their tails off for the team is one of the toughest days for me,'' coach Andy Reid said in a statement. ``It's even tougher when you release veterans such as Hugh and Jon. They have contributed a great deal to the success of this team over the past few years and we appreciate their efforts on and off the field.''

McCants was cut by the Redskins last week after four seasons in Washington. He has 53 catches for 687 yards and eight touchdowns in 29 games.

The Eagles lost starting receiver Todd Pinkston to a season-ending injury the first week of training camp, and reserve Justin Jenkins also will miss the season.

Douglas went to three Pro Bowls with the Eagles before leaving for Jacksonville following the 2002 season. He spent just one season with the Jaguars and returned to the Eagles last year after he was cut in training camp.

The 34-year-old Douglas has 80 sacks in 10 seasons with the Jets, Eagles and Jaguars. He's well-liked by teammates and was one of the leaders on defense throughout his career in Philadelphia.

Ritchie, a seven-year veteran, missed most of last season with a knee injury. He caught 17 passes in his first season with the Eagles in 2003 after five years in Oakland. Josh Parry, a converted linebacker who took Ritchie's spot last year, is the only fullback on Philadelphia's roster.

Landeta, the leading punter in NFL history, signed with the team earlier this month as insurance in case Dirk Johnson couldn't recover from surgery for a sports hernia. Johnson was activated from the physically unable to perform list.

The Eagles also released: centers Dominic Furio and Jamaal Jackson, wide receivers Michael Gasperson, Carlos Perez and Chauncey Stovall, quarterback Andy Hall, defensive tackles Norm Heuer and Keyonta Marshall, linebacker Martin Patterson, cornerback/wideout Robert Redd, guards Steve Sciullo and Scott Young, defensive end Jamaal Green, tight end Andy Thorn and cornerbacks Aric Williams and Linj Shell.

McCants joins a group that includes disgruntled All-Pro Terrell Owens, rookie Reggie Brown and third-year pros Greg Lewis and Billy McMullen.

Excluding Owens, the Eagles' other four receivers have career totals of 80 catches for 991 yards and eight TDs. Owens, unhappy because he wants a new contract, had 77 catches for 1,200 yards and a team-record 14 TDs in his first season with the Eagles last year.

Lewis will start opposite Owens, with Brown slated as the No. 3 receiver. McCants, 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, should get increased playing time once he's more familiar with Philadelphia's version of the West Coast offense.

A fifth-round pick from Delaware State in 2001, McCants had his best season with the Redskins in 2003. He caught 27 passes for 360 yards and tied for the team lead with six TDs.

McCants was rewarded with a three-year contract when Joe Gibbs replaced Steve Spurrier as Washington's coach last year, but fell out of favor because of his questionable practice habits and lack of value on special teams.

He was inactive for 10 games last season and finished with five catches for 71 yards.

Those damn birds! I hate the eagles! I hope Mccants doesn't spill too much of our playbook to those fools. They try to win any way they can, I hope we knock them silly this year. I repeat I hate the eagles, their fans, their entire organization and anything to touch that city, almost as much as I hate Dallas!

He'll be realesed by the end of the season I bet unless he scores like 5 or 6 touchdowns and hes over like 150+ yards since he will be a red zone threat.:doh:

I say it was very very dumb to sign with the eagles...especially for a 1 year deal.(no offence to eagles fans)

I actually think this is a good career move for him, if he really believes in his abilities. The Eagles are a team who will score a lot, and will get into the redzone a lot. They don't have a dynamic running game so they will definately be leaning more towards the pass in these situations than most teams. And with teams double and triple-teaming TO in the redzone, McCants should get quite favorable matchups for himself. If he has a decent year, he'll have showcased himself to the rest of the league, which could net him a longer and more expensive deal. If he performs, that is.

... I hope Mccants doesn't spill too much of our playbook to those fools...

This is what worries me the most. However, if his work ethic under Gibbs was in question, then perhaps he didn't learn too much of Gibb's playbook and thus won't have much to reveal to the Eagles.

I always liked McCants, but if you practice half-assed and do not contribute to special teams, at the very best you can't expect much playing time. At the worst you get cut. I'm happy for him, though.

Just be sure to drop all the balls thrown your way and sabotage the game in favor of the Skins when we play the Eagles, okay McCants? :)

:logo:

Does anyone really believe he was signed so he could spread the word about the redskins offensive playcalling? Think about what your saying here. A man who apparently had a shaky knowledge of a bad offense.

How much could a guy who never practiced know? And with our O line it wont matter. The playaction pass works because Portis will be tearing everyone up on the ground, gotta respect the fake either way

Archived