Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Practice Squad

rtandler

There seems to be some confusion over just what the Practice Squad is. I see a lot of people asking if the likes of Ramsey or Russell or Rosenfels could be stashed on the PS for a year.

Some seem to think that it's the old Taxi Squad, that teams could use to give promising prospects some extra seasoning.

The key difference between the PS and the TS is that, under the old system, the team would retain rights to the players on the Taxi Squad. The players on the current PS are free agents. It's sort of like they worked as staffers at Redskins Park. They're paid a salary (around $50K), work with the team on a daily basis, but if a better offer comes along from another team, they are free to accept it.

In short, the Skins are going to have to cut to 53 players and expose all of the rest to being claimed by other teams. If they're not one of the 53, they can go elsewhere at any time.

It's pretty easy to stash players on the practice squad on Cut-down day, when all teams trim down to 53.

Basically, we'll have 5-6 tough cuts, and we can pretty much bet that we'll be able to sign those guys to the practice squad, though they could accept an invitation to be on another teams' practice squad.

But once on the P-Squad, I'm not too worried about teams stealing our players ... at least not right away. The only way for a team to steal a player from another teams P-Squad is to sign him to the active 53 man roster. Given all the difficulties associated with getting down to 53, it's very unusual for a team to cut one of the guys who just made it, and give that spot to another player who camped with another team.

Of course, Ramsey would never clear waivers, and I doubt Sage would either ... if he camps well. But I wouldn't be adverse to putting Ramsey on the IR list .... particuarly if he holds out.

Originally posted by W&M

Of course, Ramsey would never clear waivers, and I doubt Sage would either ... if he camps well. But I wouldn't be adverse to putting Ramsey on the IR list .... particuarly if he holds out.

The NFL has cracked down on stashing players on IR, also. A player, especially a young, promising one, can't be put on the list without virtually the entire American Medial Association being called in to confirm the team doctor's analysis. Ramsey would practically have a bone sticking out through his skin for the NFL to allow the Redskins to put him on IR.

Has the league really tried to crack down on abuses of IR?

5 years ago, they used to call a player and his doctor into the main office, and review his condition before allowing it. But back then, placing someone on IR didn't have the same reproducssions, because he coudl still practice, and you could pull him off IR and put him on the active roster.

But now the NFL has tried to stop abuses by taking away the benefits of stashing a kid on IR. First, the kid can't play for the entire season .... that's harsh. And second, the player can't even practice with the team, and is only permitted to review film and condition.

With these new rules, I'm pretty sure placing people on IR is an easy process. The only question is, would it make sense to take Ramsey off of the practice field?

Originally posted by W&M

But now the NFL has tried to stop abuses by taking away the benefits of stashing a kid on IR. First, the kid can't play for the entire season .... that's harsh. And second, the player can't even practice with the team, and is only permitted to review film and condition.

And the player on IR still counts agains the cap.

Nonetheless, there does have to be an independent medical opinion to allow a team to IR a player. The player does have to be physically unable to perform in a game in order to be on the list.

Am I the only one who thinks the roster rules need to be reformed? I mean, what's up with the 3rd QB rule? Lame.

The first thing I'd do would be to give 3-year roster exemptions to draft picks. This should give teams a reason to keep some of the lower round picks on the roster awhile longer, and develop continuity (destroyed in the era of free-agency).

How can they prove if Ramsey doesnt have a groin injury or pain in his lower back?

Skaggs started last year on the practice squad before moving up to the regular squad.

So you are saying the rookie contract he signed for was null while he was on the practice squad but then activated when he was on the team?

That is something that needs to be addressed in the next CBA

I think that's about right. While on the P-Squad, his original contract (signed prior to training camp) was invalidated once he got cut. Then they signed him to a new cheap contrat while on the squad, and then when they called him up, he got back to the rookie min salary.

It would be nice if the team has a slightly greater property right over their practice squad members, but of course, the players probably like the fact that any of the other 31 teams can claim them ... obviously it drastically increases their odds of getting called up if they are available to all. Indeed, I believe last year Marty snagged about 4 DL from other teams P-Squads.

But once on the P-Squad, I'm not too worried about teams stealing our players ... at least not right away. The only way for a team to steal a player from another teams P-Squad is to sign him to the active 53 man roster.

I think when you usually see people getting stolen off of a PS is when a starter gets injured early (and a team suddenly has a player in IR for the season, and now has a roster spot open).

And even in that case, I assume a team looks at their own PS first, because those're the guys they've been practicing with for a while.

Why in God's name would we want to put Ramsey on IR? He wouldn't be allowed to practice or bond with his teammates, and he wouldn't get any gametime at all. He won't be playing much this year as of now, but why not keep him if we need him?

I could understand if we were going to make a move for a big name FA QB, but we're not.

Archived