Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lance Wins

Spaceman Spiff

Originally posted by gbear

What I think is amazing is not just that he won and is a tremendous athlete, but that his story (beating cancer to come back and win a grueling sport repeatedly at a level higher than before cancer) managed to capture the attention of the american people. Yes, his winning 7 times in a row is a huge deal. But the fact that most people on here know who he is huge. Keep in mind bikeing gets lower ratings that arena football. Pick an arean football player famous for playing arena football...who again?

Seriously, his winning and his fame are a huge story because it's what all of us aspire to when we're sick or thought pysically unable to do something. Most of the athletes who gain this much cross sport marketablity do so because there is something about them we aspire to whether it be single minded concentration and practice to success (Jordan) or training from childhood to being the best at something (Tiger), we all want to be like them. However, it seems like many just kind of sell out to marketing (Jordan? Agassi?)

I just hope Lance doesn't sell out. It won't make his accomplishment any less, but I'd hate to see the message/memory of the live strong fade into a Haynes comercial.

Great post Gbear. I agree with everything you said. As you can see, he has had an effect on me. Livestrong is the motto i live by as with thousands and thousands of other people. I think it means too much to him and the cause is too great to let fade. Lance Armstrong has changed the word cancer almost single handedly. Its not looked at the same way because of him.

Guest sith lord

I think his accomplishment is a good one, but not a great one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the Tour De France is the only race he competes in. Other great cyclist competed in far more races. What if Roger Federor only competed at Wimbledon or Tiger Woods only competed at courses that suited his game? Would we call their accomplishments great? Just something to think about.

Originally posted by sith lord

I think his accomplishment is a good one, but not a great one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the Tour De France is the only race he competes in. Other great cyclist competed in far more races. What if Roger Federor only competed at Wimbledon or Tiger Woods only competed at courses that suited his game? Would we call their accomplishments great? Just something to think about.

That can be debated but the reason why its so amazing is because he had lethal doses of chemothereapy and a great chance of not being alive. So to go from that to winning one of the worlds most grueling events 7 times in a row when hundreds and hundreds of cyclyist are gunning at you and teams plots are to take you out, its just pretty darn amazing. It's the will power and determination. While woods is a great golfer its something a 60 year old can do. Not many people even in tip top shape can go cycling in the alps.

I think his accomplishment is a good one, but not a great one.

I had a strange feeling you'd come in and piss all over it. I should have put down some money on it. I'd have the down payment to my new home.

Nick

If you ask any true cycle fans you are correct. Lance is amazing though for what he did at the Tour De Lance though. There is no doubt he is the best Tour de France rider but he isn't close to the other greats in cycling.

He could win this race for 3 more years if he wanted, no one is close to him.

I also think Lance's best fight has been against cancer, what he has done to help people with cancer is amazing. He may not be the greatest athlete or cyclist but he is one of the best people out there.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Archived