Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Farr.. worth a shot?????

Skins57

NFL | Farr Given Clean Bill of Healthy - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

9:30 PT: As an update to previous reports, Nick Wishart for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports former St. Louis Rams DE D’Marco Farr was given a clean bill of health from a Tennessee Titans physician after his workout for a television show last week. Farr said he is interested in returning to the NFL after a one-year hiatus, but just needs to find a team. There is no word on what teams, if any, are interested in Farr’s services.

I do not know much about him but can someone give me some insight on if he would be a worhtwhile vet min signing?

Here some info Skins

http://football.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=2998

Notice the defensive tackle label. But at 6-1 280. Took a year off and only played in a few games in 2000.

Edit Edit.

Here's some more info. actually, he is a DT. Supposedly one of the quicker ones befor his knees began to get the better of him. possible warning there. It would appear he was released as mor of a cap move than anything else. Though a member of a rather bad defense that year, it would appear that the rams didn't really think he was one of the problems.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,3547987_59,00.html

And hey! Since he was a member of the rams. :D

http://www.stlouisrams.com/Cheerleaders/

Farr was a pass rusher in his prime days and was not known as a run stopper. It is questionable with his knees whether he has the quickness still to compensate for his lack of size.

At 6'1 and 280 or thereabouts he is going to get killed if he can't get out ahead of plays and use his experience reading the offense.

Once a guard at 6'4 and 330 gets his mitts on Farr he is going to be out of the play.

We can sign Farr to a conditional contract, just like Harrison over from Pittsburgh and whom I spoke with at Training Camp last year. If he doesn't make it, he gets cut, if he does, we then take away a large amount of leverage from Adams, if he's still on the table.

We would only then ask the LB's to do what they're going to do anyway. Shut down the run and get more attempts to sack the QB.

Hmmm. Well, after doing some reading, it would appear that Mr. Farr, befor injuries, was considered one of the quicker D.T.'s in the game. Apparently he was in fact good against the run. Again, my problem with him is that 1 year out and knees.

From a couple of articles in January 2001 (I believe)

"Along with fellow tackle D'Marco Farr and MLB London Fletcher, has helped the Rams lead the league in run defense at 74.3 yards per game. ... A first-round pick of New England in 1990, he played five years with the Patriots and three years with the New York Giants. "

RT D'Marco Farr, 28, 6-1, 280

One of the league's quickest defensive tackles, ranking second on the team with 8 1/2 sacks. Set a career high with 11 1/2 sacks in 1995, his first full year as a starter. ... An undrafted free agent in 1994, Farr has started 80 straight games. ... Has 35 1/2 career sacks and three interceptions.

seekndestroy31 "you have ". Hello?

well, how much speed has he lost?

you don't line up at 31 and after several surgeries the way you do at 25. :)

the Redskins seem to always have the opportunity to sign undersized players on the DL, the problem seems to come in getting the 310 pound bulldozer we actually need. :gus:

Park City--yes--"you have"--who else is a legitimate double digit sack guy? Smith? thats a reach and he's 39. Wynn--not yet--doesnt have the burst or speed outside. If Wynn did have the upside potential as a pass rusher Jacksonville never would have let him go. They would have put a transition or franchise tag on him. Wilkinson? has he yet? He now weighs 353 lbs. Dotson?.......

You missed my point. Though I didn't tune in to your draft thread until after posting on this one. "you have" implied that you were not a Redskins fan. After reading the other thread, well, that answered that question.

I am, as well as others on this board, very aware of the sack numbers, or lack there of , regarding some of the current defensive players on the roster. Wynn was not brought in for his sack numbers. All things lead to him being brought in because of a) he is a versatile lineman. Able to play anywhere on the D.L. B) because he helps address a more pressing need for the Redskins up front. Run defense. He is "known" to be very good against the run". Speaking of Wynn, he was let go, as with several other big name players, for cap reasons. Which is probably one reason they wouldn't/couldn't slap him with the tag.

Here ya go.

"The Jaguars had been expected to let Wynn and Hardy become free agents so the team could get below the league's $71.7 million salary cap by Friday. The move saves the Jaguars about $15 million. "

Dotson? Rumor has it he may spend some time in the interior line. If true, then the Redskins aren't looking for double digit sack numbers from him either. Marvin, who historically likes to stop the run first and force the pass, may not need another "double digit" player on his defense. He may be happy with more players posting single digit sack numbers. Applying pressure from all over the field. As of right now, we don't know what he may be up to, except he seems to really like man to man coverage, (possible source of some sacks right there), and he's going to free up Levar alot more. Oh, and we also know that as a Cowboy fan, when it comes to this very subject, you should be concerned with your team.

Oh. And for the record books. I'm not ruling out Bruce as a threat. Guy may be a senior citizen as football players go, but he's still a threat on any given play, especially a pass play, to make something happen. Figure Lewis and he will work it out so he stays that way throughout the season. :cheers:

the argument that the Jags would have kept Wynn if he had posted 2 or 3 more sacks is ludicrous.

Jax was jettisoning salaries to keep Brunell and Smith and would have released Wynn in any case.

At 27, Wynn had what, 5 sacks in a defense predicated on him staying at home while Tony Brackens put up the sack numbers?

I think he may do better here. 10 or 12 sacks? Probably not.

But the Skins need 6-8 sacks from Wynn, I don't think that is an unrealistic goal.

If Smith is able to get 8 on the other side and you engage Arrington and Armstead to pressure the quarterback from the outside, I think that is a legitimate enough rush given our corners and their ability to man up.

And that is the factor that too few experts and other teams fans give the Redskins.

To many people the presence of a 12 or 13 sack lineman means the makings of a good defense.

That's not always the case. In fact, to me coverage in the secondary is MORE important than a nasty pash rush.

You have a solid set of linemen who put on decent pressure and combine that with lockdown corners and you have a top 10 defense.

I am not looking for the 2002 Redskins to better the numbers of the '85 Bears or '00 Ravens.

That's not what this is about. It is about winning football games.

And so far the Redskins have taken a defense that was pretty good last year overall, gotten younger and better at RDE and MLB and upgraded with veterans at WLB and DT.

Could we use another lineman to include in a rotation to keep everyone fresh?

Yes, and hopefully a candidate or two to play the run and put some pressure on the qb will present themselves in camp.

most teams in the era of the salary cap are scrambling to find backup linemen that can play and have to go with rookie draft picks, UDFA's and second-tier vets.

that's the reality of the situation.

Personally, I don't think the Redskins are going to sign Sam Adams, he is way too expensive for a one way DT. If he could put pressure on the qb inside then he may be worth $4 or $5 million a year.

But $8 million? He is dreaming. :)

Actually, the only "legit" sack guy we have is not Arrington because he's never put up solid or big numbers. You could argue Armstead who is similar to Hardy in sack production, though he does more than Hardy in other areas of production. Arrington, as much as we love him and could rightfully expect big numbers in a pass rushing role, he's hardly a legitimate pass rusher yet, since he's never been one as a pro.

Bruce Smith is certainly still a threat from the outside. After a very slow start, he played very good football later in the year for us, being quite disruptive, if not quite as quick as he used to be to get the big sack numbers. Certainly we will probably need to create pressure because it's unlikely our front four will simply blow past offensive linemen very often. But, I don't know that Farr or Wadsworth answers the problem.

I like Farr's versatility and he was a guy I really liked a couple of years ago. But, those knees at his size is a troublesome idea to me.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Which is probably one reason they wouldn't/couldn't slap him with the tag.

Here ya go.

"The Jaguars had been expected to let Wynn and Hardy become free agents so the team could get below the league's $71.7 million salary cap by Friday. The move saves the Jaguars about $15 million. "

They didn't want to slap him with that tag. They needed to money to get under the cap, and his price didn't match his production.

Jacksonville has done little right in the past 2 years.

They overpaid for 35 year old Hardy Nickerson and 34 year old Carnell Lake and ended up paying the Piper.

True the Boselli injury was something no one could have forseen and to have that happen to the best player in the NFL at his position is a tough loss to swallow.

But they would have been able to keep Gary Walker and Reynaldo Wynn if they had not signed those geezers a couple of years ago in the mistaken belief those players were the difference in making the Super Bowl.

It will be a long time before Jacksonvillle is 14-2 again.

I hope they enjoyed their quick ride to the top of the standings from expansion.

Now they get to taste the view from the other side of the mountain. :)

Hey, it's only fair after all.

Archived