Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Third Downs

TODD

One debilitating part of our offense in 2004 was our inability to convert third downs. 2004 Team Offense Stats indicate that the teams with the worst third down percentages are typically the worst offensive teams (we converted a paltry 31.7% of our 3rd downs). Among the bottom of the league in 3rd Down % was San Francisco, Detroit, Washington, New York, Cleveland, and Chicago-- all of the consensus worst offenses in the NFL last season.

My concern is that we did nothing to fix this issue. Teams at the top of the league in third down percentage had high quality, big or pass catching third down backs (GB- Najeh Davenport, KC- Derrick Blaylock, NE- Kevin Faulk, the list goes on). No one of the sort was acquired and Clinton struggles on 3rd Downs in '04, with only 13 rushes for first downs in 24 attempts.

Most of the teams also had quality third down receivers or pass catching TE's where we slightly upgraded with David Patten (10 3rd down receptions for first downs in 2004). Regardless, we are still thin at TE as Chris Cooley on had 7 3rd down catches for first down in 2004.

When Patrick Ramsey entered as QB, we improved ~5%, however, 36% would still pit us in the bottom half of the league in conversions.

This is my biggest concern for the 2005 season band I wonder if by the end of the preseason we'll already be looking for a big back to shoulder our 3rd down woes.

1. Improved offensive line

2. Portis comfort with Gibbs system

3. Gibbs comfort with Portis

4. Drafting Broughton and White, Jr.

5. Adaptation of scheme and players to open up passing game

I think we've covered this a lot already. Let's just wait and see what happens during Training Camp.

Over the last 5 games last season, the Skins 3rd down completion percentage was 43%...that's after Ramsey has a few weeks worth of practice as a starter, and got thru the difficult gauntlet of playing both Philly and Pittsburgh right off the bat. No reason to believe the Skins offense can't pick up where it left off...especially with a hugely improved o-line.

Archived