Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

calling all economics experts

matty dread

I have this question I'm having a problem with. My professor is giving me an answer but I have no clue how he's getting it. He's horrible at explaining things so I've given up trying to figure out his rationale.

Here's the problem, let me know what you think.

The Largo Publishing House uses 400 printers and 200 printing presses to produce books. A printer's wage rate is $20, and the price of a printing press is $5000. The last printer added 20 books to total output, while the last press added 1000 books to total output. Is the publishing house making the optimal input choice? Why or why not? If not, how should the manager of Largo Publishing House adjust input usage.

I didn't want to sway anyone, but here's my answer

Wage/rate

20/20 for the printers = 1

5000/1000 for the presses = 5

My professor and I agree about the 20/20. However, for the presses he says 50/100 = .5

I have no freakin clue where he's getting 50/100 for the presses.

Originally posted by matty dread

Is the publishing house making the optimal input choice? Why or why not? If not, how should the manager of Largo Publishing House adjust input usage.

No.

The correct answer is outsource the publishing industry to China or Mexico.

;)

I think this is a question of fixed and verable costs.

The Person gets payed per hour, and every hour produces 20 books.

The Machine is a one time perchuse, so it isn't costing you $5000, per hour, it cost you $5000, one time. So to come up with you professors number, you need to know how long the work day is (how many hours per day the machines will be running), and to veriy that the machine creates 1000 extra copies per hour (the same unit of production as the printer is being compared to, or some other unit of measure)

I would need more information from the problem to get the numbers to match up, but just think of it this way...

You have to pay the worker $20 for every hour of work, you only pay for a machine once, so in the long run, it is better.

If it makes it easier you could think of it as $5000/1000 books FOR THE FIRST HOUR,

but then ofter that $5000 is payed off it is $0/1000 for the rest of the life of the machine.

Archived