Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Dream Theater Album!!!

Mr. S

Originally posted by ntotoro

Not only does he write lyrics, he writes most of their lyrics.

You're welcome... :laugh:

It's not like The Police where they split songwriting chores equally (it just happened that Sting's tunes were the ones that became the biggest hits). Portnoy really does write the vast majority of their lyrics. A ton of it is rather cringe-worthy.

Ok, I'll let the singer off the hook, I just assumed that he wrote the lyrics.

DT is one band that I havent really read much backstory on. I had no idea it was like that.

Portnoy needs to practice the drums more and write less lyrics...:laugh:

Portnoy is pretty hit or miss with lyrics. He has wrote some great ones, but then he has sucked.

The bassist, John Myung, had some great lyrics, but then again some inter-band politics saying if you are gonna write lyrics, have some song format or outline or something, which Myung never did, so he hasnt written lyrics since either Awake or Falling Into Infinity.

Portnoy gets a little more than half the lyrics, then Petrucci, then LaBrie. Yeh, singer barely writes them.

I noticed what you meant in Panic Attack as well, especially the 2 moments where he changes his voice to a falsetto style.

Other than tracks 2 and 4, I like most of the album musically, Ive also never been one to really like Dream Theater for lyrics, though they have some good ones. The song "octavarium" though still does not beat "A Change of Seasons" as their long epic, that one had good lyrics and musicality.

I understand what you meant about the keyboards Code, they use them waaay too much. One thing I liked about this album is they didnt use them as a 2nd guitar as much as in the past 3 albums, it was annoying to just hear a keyboard guitar, then Petrucci play in Scenes.

Originally posted by Mr. S

The song "octavarium" though still does not beat "A Change of Seasons" as their long epic, that one had good lyrics and musicality.

You're right. It's not and nothing they ever do will be... :cheers:

If you can't tell, ACOS is by far my favorite. I love it as a blend of aggression, composition and technicality. I don't think anything they ever do in terms of a piece with different movements will be as good.

One thing I liked about this album is they didnt use them as a 2nd guitar as much as in the past 3 albums, it was annoying to just hear a keyboard guitar, then Petrucci play in Scenes.

I noticed that, too. It used to follow a format... bridge, guitar solo, then keyboard solo. You could sometimes alternate the two solos, but you get the point. They keys really did seem to be used more for atmosphere and an actual part of an ensemble than anything else on this album. Actually, I think the entire album is compositionally very good. A lot of guys at Petrucci's website are complaining the guitar gymnastics aren't as good as ToT, but I think this is a much better album musically.

Nick

I have no complaints about the guitar stuff... heck, even the second song has some really good points. But I'm just not a keyboard fan in most cases. With Rush, it's cool becuase it's not a constant thing, but with DT, it has to be a constant thing because they have a fulltime band member who is a keyboard player and I'm sure he doesn't want to sit around doing nothing at time.

Originally posted by codeorama

With Rush, it's cool becuase it's not a constant thing, but with DT, it has to be a constant thing because they have a fulltime band member who is a keyboard player and I'm sure he doesn't want to sit around doing nothing at time.

James LaBrie takes off and only actually sings maybe through 60% of any Dream Theater show, so why not? ;)

I don't understand why he's so pitchy live, considering how comparatively (to other singers) little during a show he actually sings.

Nick

Archived