1st round/8th pick: David Terrell

1/9: Koren Robinson

1/15 Rod Gardner

1/16 Santana Moss

1/25 Freddie Mitchell

1/30 Reggie Wayne

The 2nd round had better talent:

2/2 Quincy Morgan

2/36 Chad Johson: One of NFL's best today.

2/10 Robert Ferguson: coming into his own.

2/21 Chris Chambers: A strong talented WR.

Johnson, Ferguson and Chambers, plus Steve Smith (3rd round)are all better than anyone taken in the first round. Justin McCariens in the 4th, and T.J. Houshmandzadeh in the 7th, are doing better than Terrell, Robinson, Gardner and Mitchell. Just goes to show what a crapshoot the draft can be.

Robinson in trouble again

Maligned Seahawks receiver Koren Robinson charged with DUI

MIKE SANDO AND SEAN ROBINSON; The News Tribune

Last updated: June 1st, 2005 07:30 AM

Koren Robinson has been charged with DUI and reckless driving following a May 6 incident in Medina, perhaps foreshadowing the troubled receiver’s release from the Seattle Seahawks.

Robinson, 25, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to the misdemeanor criminal charges filed in Kirkland Municipal Court, and he is due back before Judge Albert Raines on July 18, documents show.

The Seahawks were not available to comment Tuesday night, but team sources previously indicated that Robinson had run out of second chances following a troubled four-year run with the team. Robinson has acknowledged as much.

“I know what I’ve got to do and they’re expecting me to do that,” Robinson said following an April 30 minicamp practice. “If not, I know the consequences. … Either you want to be in the NFL or you don’t. And I do. So, I have to do everything I gotta do to stay here.”

A first-round draft choice in 2001, Robinson served a four-game NFL suspension for substance abuse last season. Coach Mike Holmgren benched him for failing to show up at practice one day before an important Jan. 2 game against Atlanta.

The Seahawks won that game to clinch their first NFC West championship. Holmgren allowed Robinson to play in the playoff game Jan. 8 against St. Louis on the condition that the receiver would seek professional help after the season.

Robinson’s four-game league suspension had stemmed from a positive test for a substance consistent with the party drug ecstasy, sources have said. Further examination raised questions about an alcohol problem for which Robinson agreed to seek treatment.

Robinson emerged from treatment in time to participate in the team’s post-draft minicamp. Following practice April 30, Robinson said he had given up alcohol, his travails having served as a wake-up call.

“I’m not stupid, man,” Robinson said at the time. “I’m not going to be one of those people they talk about, ‘Oh, he had the potential to be a great player but he let this, that and the third, so many distractions’ – that’s not going to be me.”

Six days later, Medina Police officer David Obermiller cited Robinson on suspicion of DUI and reckless driving, court records show. Bail was set at $1,000.

Attempts to reach Robinson failed Tuesday night. His mother declined comment when reached on her cell phone.

The plan had been for Robinson’s mother and young son to live with him beginning this month.

“It’ll help me and keep me focused,” Robinson said in the April 30 interview.

New Seahawks president Tim Ruskell appears unwilling to tolerate players with off-field problems.

“We must be held accountable for our own actions, year round,” he wrote in a letter to players.

Robinson has 213 catches for 3,167 yards and 12 touchdowns in four NFL seasons. He led the team in 2002 with 78 catches for 1,240 yards, but the past two seasons marked a drop in production.

He caught 31 passes for 495 yards and two scores in 10 games last season.

Robinson is scheduled to earn $1.35 million in 2005. Counting bonuses received in past years, his contract counts a little more than $2.5 million against the Seahawks’ salary cap.

The release of Robinson, coupled with the long-anticipated release of veteran cornerback Bobby Taylor, might help the team sign its draft choices and add another veteran player.

The Seahawks have shown interest in free-agent pass rusher Peter Boulware, who spent his first eight NFL seasons with Baltimore.

Boulware is expected to visit the Cleveland Browns on Thursday before deciding whether to visit Seattle, ESPN.com reported.

Archived