Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dilfer interview on the Jim Rome Show

Guest fuji869

Guest fuji869

I just heard the an interview with Trent Dilfer on the Jim Rome Show, it was one of the better interviews I have heard. He brought up a good point about the players now a days with free agency "Player don’t want to earn things, they want them give to them". He also said that owners want players that will sell merchandise and fill seats more that players that just win games. The guy is probably still a bit bitter from the way Baltimore got rid of him after they won the Super Bowl but there is some truths to what Trent said. <br /><br />Who was the last QB you can think of that won 15 straight games and is still insure where he will play next season. I know the guy is not as fun to watch as Bret Farve, Krut Warner or Donovan McNabb but the guy has proven he can win, he was 4-0 as a starter with the Seahawks this year.

Well, there are some teams with Brett or Kurt that could turn their noses up at Trent in the offseason, but for other competitive teams such as the Redskins, Bears, Dolphins, etc.........<br />the presence of Dilfer could have made them better football teams.<br /><br />In the case of the Redskins Dilfer could have made the difference in 3 extra wins for this team.<br /><br />At 11-5 you are making a lot of other assumptions about your team than you are at 8-8.

Trent Dilfer will never be mistaken for Brett Favre. However, I think everyone would generally agree Trent Dilfer is an upgrade over Tony Banks.<br /><br />And even if he isn't... I'd rather go 8-8 with Trent Dilfer than Tony Banks. At least we know Dilfer is a likeable guy and team player. Unlike Banks.

Dilfer to me is just an average quarterback, but as riggins44 said, he has matured and seems to be at least a stabilizing presence at the position. Let's face it, we really haven't had that since Rypien.What's 10 years between fans?

I think Spurrier's offense doesn't need a GREAT QB, just an accurate one that doesn't make the stupid mistake. I also think he needs to be somewhat mobile, i.e., a guy who can move around in the pocket and roll out and throw on the run.<br /><br />Dilfer just might fit but it's hard to figure out exactly what Spurrier has in mind at this point.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Die Hard:<br /><strong> At least we know Dilfer is a likeable guy and team player. Unlike Banks.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dunno about that DH... from everything I hear/read, Banks was very well respected by the Skins. They obviously played ALOT harder for him than they did JG.

Whatever Spurrier does, it will be the QB that he will address since his love of the offensive toys is no secret. I see an invitation to Dilfer to at least sign up for the physical, mini-camp and a shot at competing for a spot on the team. I think he will look, passively at Sage or release him, if he can't show a solid form by mini-camp. Spurrier wants a jump start on an offense that is for the most part, in place. He will only tweak is necessary to compete at the level he expects.<br />By citing Stephen Davis, Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels as the examples of his familiarization on the offense, he is setting a very high bar. <br /><br />He expects others to meet that challenge or make considerations. I like this approach, because it should bring out the very best in a guy, and the funny thing about is, he hasn't even lined up the roops to give his "this is what we are going to do speech" yet. <br /><br />It is very clear that what was allowed at QB last year, won't be this time around. I believe his grading system is in the area of some places both George and Banks don't measure up to, but Dilfer is as close as to what he has in mind. Bledsoe is closer, but I suspect that Spurrier wants someone else. It just maybe Dilfer for now, while the Grossman's and others are in the wings with their final seasons in college.

Blade, you are setting the bar really low if the comparison for respect and popularity for the starting quarterback of the Redskins is Jeff George.<br /><br />Sure Banks came off well in that comparison. He came to work, credited his teammates for helping the team to victories, made an effort to learn the system and even went outside and tried to block on running plays and reverses.<br /><br />But Dilfer brings more to the table. Contrary to what most people think if you go back and look at his performances last year for the Ravens, you will see some games where Dilfer WAS the difference for the team.<br /><br />He brought the Ravens back 3 times in the fourth quarter from deficits to win.<br /><br />To lump him in the same category with Banks, Jim Miller or Shane Matthews to me is a clear mistake.<br /><br />Dilfer IS a starting caliber qb in the NFL.<br /><br />I'm sure if I sat down and marked down all 31 starting qb's from opening day 2001, I could probably select out 11 or 12 that are inferior to Dilfer, including the exalted Matt Hasselbeck on his own Seattle team.<br /><br />Hasselbeck was awful. In an objective world, Matt would have been on the bench from the 5th or 6th game on during the season. But because of Holmgren's investment in him, Hasselbeck was guaranteed the starts regardless.

We're in an awful dilemma in terms of our QB situation. First of all, our needs there don't match up with the personnel available. The only QB's who would be definitely interesting to us in the draft, and who might even be able to contribute to us this year, Carr and Harrington, will go much too high in the draft for us to reasonably get them (short of pulling a New Orleans maneuver on draft day). The FA's available are only decent QB's at best, like Jim Miller and Dilfer and Rob Johnson, or else have serious questions about their physical condition like Bledsoe and Rob Johnson again. <br /><br />Moreover, we have other needs on the team, particularly with respect to D-linemen, but also regarding WR's, interior offensive line line, TE's and even depth at OT. This draft right now is rich with defensive line talent. And I'd remind you all that unlike virtually any other position, defensive linemen tend to be able to contribute right away. <br /><br />I have no idea what this new front office is going to do with personnel yet. We'd all be pretending if we suggested otherwise. Heck, they're still in the process of hiring Cerrato. However, I believe that the team will serve itself well by avoiding its impulsive desire to pursue a "QB for Spurrier's offense" in this draft, and to instead draft D-linemen. We could end up with two d-linemen that start for us for years in this draft. We should pick our spot with a QB.

Archived