Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Club Dread - The feuds, money, and violence behind D.C.'s most notorious megaclub (Wash City Paper)

RonArtest15

This is a LONG, but great read behind the opening/closing of Ibiza in DC. Man, what a mess.

(Name deleted) crouched between two cars, blood running down his face, and waited for his moment. He was hoping his pursuers—bouncers from Ibiza, the District’s hottest megaclub—wouldn’t find him.

They had already caught him once after he tried to escape their custody, a move that earned him a “stomping,” according to a police report. (name deleted) had managed to escape during that beating, but club security was still after him.

Earlier that night, Nov. 23, 2008, (name deleted) had just been one of hundreds of patrons enjoying Ibiza. The NoMa club had only been open for a year, but it was already drawing top-tier celebrities and DJs. (name deleted) night soured when he lost his friends. While he was looking for them, (name deleted) felt club security grab him. Some security guards started punching him, while others dragged him to the club’s “detox” room.

(name deleted) was trapped. He even had Ibiza’s equivalent of a cellmate—a 20-year-old guy, too scared of being caught underage in a club to call the police.

(name deleted) declined to comment because of a settlement with Ibiza, but a police report lays out his plan: When a bouncer opened the door, (name deleted) bolted—only to find himself in a headlock.

Rest of Article in Link

I never went to Ibiza, but the stories surrounding their "detox" room where they would pretty much kidnap/beat patrons (only to release them for a fee) is absolutely deplorable. Hard to feel sorry for Han, because he seems like a complete piece of crap in all facets of his life.

What a mess. Can't say I'm surprised though the club business in DC has seemingly always been shady.

What the article didn't mention was the dirty cops. Does anyone really believe cops weren't in the nightclub to see what bouncers were doing? I've personally witnessed off duty cops at nightclubs engage in and help cover up abuse dozens of times.

The appropriate response to kidnapping and torture (for 400 bucks) shouldn't be limited to a civil lawsuit. The kind of crap that goes on in DC nightclubs, out in the open where anyone can see it, is far too egregious for cops to be entirely unaware.

What a mess. Can't say I'm surprised though the club business in DC has seemingly always been shady.

What the article didn't mention was the dirty cops. Does anyone really believe cops weren't in the nightclub to see what bouncers were doing? I've personally witnessed off duty cops at nightclubs engage in and help cover up abuse dozens of times.

The appropriate response to kidnapping and torture (for 400 bucks) shouldn't be limited to a civil lawsuit. The kind of crap that goes on in DC nightclubs, out in the open where anyone can see it, is far too egregious for cops to be entirely unaware.

Yeah...the whole thing is shady

Two months after opening, Ibiza stopped hiring police security on slow weekends in a bid to save money.

Probably let go of the police didn't want blood on their hands. 

*This is my first hearing of the "detox" room.  I'm still shaking my head at what was in the article. 

I rarely went clubbing, and when I did, it was at a place I can't remember in the late 90's, I think it was called Polly's?  They had different floors for different music, and I spent all my time in the 80's room.  I can't imagine something like this happening there.

I now work a few blocks from where Ibiza used to be.  The area is really changing.

Archived