Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo.com: Ex-Referee Ask Off of Redskins Games in 05

MustangSteve

NFL Refs   

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are NFL refs being bias to Redskins

• Yes, I feel the Redskins are being cheated in many occasions.
    • No, I have thrown rocks smarter than some of these refs, they just can't help there stupid decisions.

I did not post this for a debate about our teams name, so please do not turn this thread into one. This is a very serious issue on how our games are being called and are they being fair to our team. I can not count all the calls that went against the Redskins over the last many years that should not have been. Very bad calls that changed our season literally.

The most important I think was in 05, the 1st Tampa Game when Mike Alscot never broke the plain of the Goal line and we lost that game because of that call.  If that call would have been called correct, the Redskins would have won the Division, got the 1st Playoff game off to rest, and been playing in DC in the 1st playoff round. That 1 week of rest could have propelled this team into the Super Bowl period!

I don't have to ask if Refs are bias to us, because they are in many games. They take a TD from us last Monday Night and turn around and give the Browns a TD on the same damn play! Their RB's knee was down before he broke the plain, even Jon Gruden ask what was the difference! The only question I have is how do the rest of you Redskins fans feel about this? Do you feel that Refs are being bias to our team, and what BS call stands out to you the most.

Here is the story

Former NFL referee Mike Carey was ahead of this Redskins controversy way before it really became a huge story a few years ago. After the 2005 NFL season, Carey asked the NFL to not make him work Washington games anymore.

According to the Washington Post, Carey found the Redskins' nickname "disrespectful" and requested to someone in the league office who makes the officiating assignments that he not be assigned to their games because of the team name.

He asked that the matter be kept private. The league complied, because the last time he worked a Washington game was the season opener in 2006.

“It just became clear to me that to be in the middle of the field, where something disrespectful is happening, was probably not the best thing for me,” Carey told the Washington Post. 

Nobody knew of Carey's stance until UnWise Mike of the Post asked him at a media event for CBS broadcast talent. Carey quit his job as a referee to join the CBS broadcast team explaining rules and calls during games.

It brings up the question, if Carey could get by for eight seasons without anyone knowing he asked to be taken off Redskins games over the nickname, are there other similar stories we haven't caught on to yet?

It also will make Washington fans wonder about a playoff game at the end of the 2005 season at Tampa Bay. Carey made a controversial call to eject Redskins safety Sean Taylor for spitting on Buccaneers running back Michael Pittman. The Redskins won anyway, but the conspiracy theorists are likely to wonder. 

Click link for rest https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ex-referee-mike-carey-avoided-washington-games-because-of-team-name-175104203.html?bcmt=1408622531090-0e9f7522-f021-46d3-97bd-6bc918d0dd28

I have watched the Redskins closely since I was a kid, and I can't remember one game where I thought we lost due to biased officiating. Bad calls? Of course. But those even out.

The perception that the Redskins get consistently hosed on calls is the same perception all fanbases have across all sports. And it holds no water.

I have watched the Redskins closely since I was a kid, and I can't remember one game where I thought we lost due to biased officiating. Bad calls? Of course. But those even out.

The perception that the Redskins get consistently hosed on calls is the same perception all fanbases have across all sports. And it holds no water.

Like all fans, some of these refs have favorite teams and it shows in many occasions. You are right Kleese, we have all seen some very very bad calls against many teams, Green Bay game really stands out, but I can't help but feel that some refs just do not like our team. The Browns TD last Monday Night has made me feel that way. 

How about most recently in the first preseason game with the offside flag on the kickoff came out after we recovered the fumble.

I can't remember specifically but it always seems like a flag is thrown after we make a big play or during a great drive at a critcal point that totally changes the momentum of the game. I have actually come to expect it the last several years.

Every time we have a big offensive or defensive play I always first look for flags before I celebrate.

It's not that we get more flags than the opponenet but the critical points at which we get flagged.

Sorry Kleese you are incorrect there. Here Is a list, just off the top of my head.

1. Carolina 2012..ref blows whistle, players stop, running back keeps running. Carolina awarded a TD.

2. Patriots 2011...Brady hit between the 1 and the 2 and London Fletcher is called for a blow to the head.

3. Giants #1 2012...Redskins have TD taken away when called for illegal motion, ref did not throw flag until after TD scored.

4. Every game since Orakpo came in the league. Held to the point of having jersey pulled over head. No holding calls except Dallas game in 2010.

5. St. Louis Rams 2012...numerous late hits on RGIII to include having head picked up and slammed into turf....no calls. Also refs allow Fischer to ask for review of turnover, which should have negated the turnover. Rams kick FG, which were the winning points of the game.

6. Seattle 2013 playoff game...Garcon mugged and hit all day, no calls against Seattle. Seattle gets key PI call against Hall, who bumped a receiver within 5 yards of LOS, which is legal.

I've watched the Redskins and every other team since 1970, and no, the calls do not balance out. I have never seem as many calls go against a team as we have.

I have always thought that Mike Carey had something against us. In the '05 games, he ejects Sean Taylor for spitting and does nothing when Michael Pittman punches Taylor right in front of him. Then in the '06 opener on Monday night against the Vikings, he called a bogus "unprotected receiver" penalty against Sean on a deep pass. NOTE: 2006 was before "Unprotected Receiver" was a common call in the NFL.

I hope this isn't off-topic, but I think this is going to continue until the name is changed. If we are ever good, do you really think Goodell is going to let us get to a Super Bowl and have this be the only media conversation for two weeks? I do not.

This was a really hard vote because, YES I think the Skins are cheated by unfair refs at times, BUT I also think refs are dumber than rocks.

This guy is a joke.  Honestly, even if you have a problem with the name how do you let that stop you from doing your job?  That's pathetic.  What kind of professional stops working parts of their job because they don't like it?  I mean, there are plenty of people who disagree with major parts of their job and still do a great job because that's their job, especially with something as small as "I don't like their name".

Now if Snyder were out torturing people or running a slave trade then I could see being so disgusted you couldn't ref one of those games fairly.  But a name that's been there since 1920?!  Just stupid.  I love how he comes out now that it's become a national issue.  Way to stick up for those Native American friends during the times when no one gave a **** but them.

Yeah, you're a real saint.  Douche bag.

I hope this isn't off-topic, but I think this is going to continue until the name is changed. If we are ever good, do you really think Goodell is going to let us get to a Super Bowl and have this be the only media conversation for two weeks? I do not.

Yeah, it's OT, went directly against what the OP asked, and violated our policy on keeping the name change comments in the tailgate which you know full well is in play. But no ban this time.

But this is very unlikely to work and I think Steve showed questionable judgment (and perhaps motive) in posting it in this form.

We could suggest a redo on the OP and title to just make it a more generic "do you think some refs biased against the Redskins" though that's been done often enough.

So we'll do this---you can edit it, Steve, and try it as a more generic "refresher" on the topic of "do nfl refs have an anti-Redskins bias", or we'll just close it in a few.

ehh--n/m---too late, doomed to failure.

Archived