Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Micheal Vick and the MFL?

goflyhelo

Are you guys familiar with the MFL - Minor League Football League?

WASHINGTON -- Michael Vick has a place in minor league football if he doesn't head back to the NFL.

The former Atlanta Falcons quarterback, whose federal sentence for dogfighting ends July 20, would we welcomed by the Minor Football League, consisting of professional teams in Washington, D.C., Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania.

The president and founder of the MFL, Richard Myles, said Wednesday the league is willing to give him a place to play while the NFL decides his fate.

"One of the things that is important to the MFL is to showcase the quality of the players and the coaches who want to transition into the NFL, as well as give back to our communities by mentoring our youths," Myles said.

"Every player in the MFL is required to perform 100 hours of community service. Vick could serve as an example to our youths by demonstrating good citizenship while maintaining his skills and edge playing with the MFL.

I believe that everyone deserves an opportunity to redeem themselves and that Vick is on the right path to redemption."

Copyright 2009 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.

Interesting. But it seems to me that, given the choice, if the NFL wasn't an option this season, he'd opt for the new UFL, which will have actual national exposure and the attention of the NFL, to a degree. And he'd be able to opt out of the community service. And get paid more. And play on national TV. And get paid more. And showcase himself against better talent than in the MFL. And get paid more.

Either way, interesting read.

Interesting. But it seems to me that, given the choice, if the NFL wasn't an option this season, he'd opt for the new UFL, which will have actual national exposure and the attention of the NFL, to a degree. And he'd be able to opt out of the community service. And get paid more. And play on national TV. And get paid more. And showcase himself against better talent than in the MFL. And get paid more.

Either way, interesting read.

You mean, he'll get paid more? :D

I'm sorry to say I may get stuck with him at least for a year. I will be buying UFL season tickets when they are available but my team will be Orlando and Vick counts as an NFC South cut. That gives us first dibs and based on his losing tenure in New Orleans, Jim Haslett has said he likes Vick a lot. I hated Vick before it was such a cool thing to do but I will not cease to support the UFL just for that. I do like Jim Haslett and I thought he should have had the Rams job, he has twice been my Madden '07 DC. Orlando had a really good inaugural draft and I'm excited for the season. My only regret is that 2007 AFL Rookie of the Year QB Brett Dietz who I met twice is going to San Francisco. He'd be 3rd string tops here but at least I could wear my Storm gear with pride again.

You know the guy in my sig is Chris Samuels brother? I had heard rumors but wasn't sure when I first bought his jersey for being the most amazing AFL player ever.

As hard as I've been on Vick, I think this should be the way he should go to get back in the NFL.

He should not be rubber stamped back in.

Keep him out this year.

Let him play in a minor league for low money. Do community service and educate people on how what he did was despicable and wrong. All the while, get his football skills honed a bit and also he'll have fresh tape to show prospective NFL teams.

If he keeps out of trouble and sticks with the community service, then his return to the NFL in 2010 would be something that even I can support. This of course assuming he still has the skills for it. I think some people are fooling themselves if they think today's Michael Vick is anywhere near the player that he was a few years ago. He never was much of a passer but between being rusty and getting older. I'm sure his running skills are not what they once were either.

Archived