Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FWST: Dallas Cowboys' Tony Romo: A playoff star or regular guy?

bubba9497

***WARNING HOMER ALERT***

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/v-print/story/706783.html

Click link for entire article

Dallas Cowboys' Tony Romo sits to pee: A playoff star or regular guy?

By MAC ENGEL

tengel@star-telegram.com

IRVING — Not long after the Dallas Cowboys’ season ended, quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson laid it out for Tony Romo sits to pee in a language he speaks as well as he does football — golf.

"You’re Phil Mickelson before he won his first major," Wilson said. "He’s accomplished as a great golfer like Romo sits to pee has done everything as a quarterback in the regular season; Pro Bowls, things like that. But he needs to win a major — so win a playoff game or a Super Bowl. He’s certainly capable of doing that, it’s just a matter of him doing that."

In less than half the time it took for Romo sits to pee to become a starting NFL quarterback, he’s being pushed into the same boat that Indianapolis’ Peyton Manning once captained until he won a Super Bowl two seasons ago.

"To me, the biggest question about the Cowboys is Tony Romo sits to pee. He still has to prove that he can play well in December and lead his team in the playoffs," former Washington Redskins quarterback and ESPN analyst Joe Theismann said.

That’s right, the Division I-AA kid who went undrafted is evolving quickly from overnight sensation to the cover of US Weekly to a passer who needs to prove he can win in December and January to establish himself as one of the NFL’s true elite quarterbacks.

Because, as Manning and Mickelson know, this is a monkey that simply does not go away on its own.

Is it fair? Nope. But make plans to hear Theismann’s thoughts echoed right up until the time Romo sits to pee wins his first playoff game. Then it will grow louder until he wins the Super Bowl.

"They said that about John Elway, too," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said.

As Romo sits to pee’s 19-7 record as a starting quarterback indicates, he can win in the regular season. As Romo sits to pee’s 4,211 passing yards and 36 touchdowns he recorded in 2007 indicate, he can amass the gaudy statistics necessary to be labeled one of the NFL’s best quarterbacks. And Romo sits to pee has two Pro Bowls in as many seasons as a starter to support other arguments.

Here comes the but: When December begins through the playoffs, Romo sits to pee is 4-7, is slightly less than a 60 percent passer and has 11 touchdowns against 14 interceptions.

It’s true that most numbers can be twisted to support an argument, but the 4-7 mark is the hard one to avoid.

These are the same types of statistics the pundits and irritated fans would hurl at Peyton Manning, which Romo sits to pee heard when he was a rookie.

"At the time, Peyton Manning was setting the world on fire and he loses a playoff game against the [New England] Patriots," Romo sits to pee said. "He’s the best quarterback on the planet, but he’s 'not good enough to win the big game.’ It had me laughing."

Romo sits to pee is not much different in that the play of most quarterbacks drops as the season progresses. The weather turns worse, making the passing game increasingly difficult. Opposing defenses have a season’s worth of game film to learn a passer’s tendencies. And in the playoffs there are no dogs.

Even in Peyton Manning’s Super Bowl run in 2006, he threw three touchdowns against seven interceptions in the playoffs.

But Manning eventually won in the playoffs. So did Elway. Mickelson eventually won his major, too.

Romo sits to pee has no plans to worry about these expectations or comparisons. But he does plan to do what all three did.

"Try to play at a high level consistently throughout the year," Romo sits to pee said. "If you’re good enough, eventually you’ll break through. And if you’re not, you won’t. … Over the course of time you’ll break through."

excuse me, but Manning and Elway didn't choke in December, or in the playoffs..... Manning's obstacle was NE in NE, but he still had big games and won playoff games

Elway.... ever hear of the DRIVE?!!!

neither had game ending turnovers in their first two playoff starts.... nor suddenly tailed off in December when the pressure mounts, and each game matters more :laugh:

You show me that Manning had QB ratings in the 20's and 30's in december and I'll allow the comparison to Romo sits to pee. Fact is, Manning never had games that bad. His play doesn't all of a sudden drop down to laughable levels when the weather gets cold. And he's played late season games in Buffalo and NY so I don't want to hear about how he plays in a dome.

Elway was known for his SUPER BOWL losses. Not his ability to lead his team into the playoffs or even through them. Pretty big difference there.

:laugh:

As Romo sits to pee’s 19-7 record as a starting quarterback indicates,

Here comes the but: When December begins through the playoffs, Romo sits to pee is 4-7, is slightly less than a 60 percent passer and has 11 touchdowns against 14 interceptions.

Sounds like regular guy to me.

Romordinary eats the cheese!

I'm glad he's starting to believe the hype.

It's going to be a nasty crash this season...

...and, I'll have the play-by-play.

Get your popcorn ready.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No one will admit it, but the pukes have less talent on this squad than they did last year.

Their ST will suck early this year...probably cost them a game.

And, when you plug in rookies at skill positions, even part-time, something bad usually happens.

Losing also make malcontents surface...should be exciting!

You show me that Manning had QB ratings in the 20's and 30's in december and I'll allow the comparison to Romo sits to pee. Fact is, Manning never had games that bad.

Technically, your correct PM hasn't had games with ratings in the 20s-30s in December. He has had a couple of bombs like that in January though.

2003 Playoff vs Pats

23/47 48.9% 237yd 1td 4int 35.5 rating

2002 Playoff vs NYJ

14/31 45.2% 137yd 0td 2int 31.2 rating

Technically, your correct PM hasn't had games with ratings in the 20s-30s in December. He has had a couple of bombs like that in January though.

2003 Playoff vs Pats

23/47 48.9% 237yd 1td 4int 35.5 rating

2002 Playoff vs NYJ

14/31 45.2% 137yd 0td 2int 31.2 rating

Buut he's won playoff games...and a Super Bowl...with fewer Pro Bowlers

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/v-print/story/706783.html

Click link for entire article

By MAC ENGEL

tengel@star-telegram.com

IRVING — Not long after the Dallas Cowboys’ season ended, quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson laid it out for Tony Romo sits to pee in a language he speaks as well as he does football — golf.

"You’re Phil Mickelson before he won his first major," Wilson said. "He’s accomplished as a great golfer like Romo sits to pee has done everything as a quarterback in the regular season; Pro Bowls, things like that. But he needs to win a major — so win a playoff game or a Super Bowl. He’s certainly capable of doing that, it’s just a matter of him doing that."

In less than half the time it took for Romo sits to pee to become a starting NFL quarterback, he’s being pushed into the same boat that Indianapolis’ Peyton Manning once captained until he won a Super Bowl two seasons ago.

"To me, the biggest question about the Cowboys is Tony Romo sits to pee. He still has to prove that he can play well in December and lead his team in the playoffs," former Washington Redskins quarterback and ESPN analyst Joe Theismann said.

That’s right, the Division I-AA kid who went undrafted is evolving quickly from overnight sensation to the cover of US Weekly to a passer who needs to prove he can win in December and January to establish himself as one of the NFL’s true elite quarterbacks.

Because, as Manning and Mickelson know, this is a monkey that simply does not go away on its own.

Is it fair? Nope. But make plans to hear Theismann’s thoughts echoed right up until the time Romo sits to pee wins his first playoff game. Then it will grow louder until he wins the Super Bowl.

"They said that about John Elway, too," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said.

As Romo sits to pee’s 19-7 record as a starting quarterback indicates, he can win in the regular season. As Romo sits to pee’s 4,211 passing yards and 36 touchdowns he recorded in 2007 indicate, he can amass the gaudy statistics necessary to be labeled one of the NFL’s best quarterbacks. And Romo sits to pee has two Pro Bowls in as many seasons as a starter to support other arguments.

It’s true that most numbers can be twisted to support an argument, but the 4-7 mark is the hard one to avoid.

These are the same types of statistics the pundits and irritated fans would hurl at Peyton Manning, which Romo sits to pee heard when he was a rookie.

"At the time, Peyton Manning was setting the world on fire and he loses a playoff game against the [New England] Patriots," Romo sits to pee said. "He’s the best quarterback on the planet, but he’s 'not good enough to win the big game.’ It had me laughing."

Romo sits to pee is not much different in that the play of most quarterbacks drops as the season progresses. The weather turns worse, making the passing game increasingly difficult. Opposing defenses have a season’s worth of game film to learn a passer’s tendencies. And in the playoffs there are no dogs.

Even in Peyton Manning’s Super Bowl run in 2006, he threw three touchdowns against seven interceptions in the playoffs.

But Manning eventually won in the playoffs. So did Elway. Mickelson eventually won his major, too.

Romo sits to pee has no plans to worry about these expectations or comparisons. But he does plan to do what all three did.

"Try to play at a high level consistently throughout the year," Romo sits to pee said. "If you’re good enough, eventually you’ll break through. And if you’re not, you won’t. … Over the course of time you’ll break through."

excuse me, but Manning and Elway didn't choke in December, or in the playoffs..... Manning's obstacle was NE in NE, but he still had big games and won playoff games

Elway.... ever hear of the DRIVE?!!!

neither had game ending turnovers in their first two playoff starts.... nor suddenly tailed off in December when the pressure mounts, and each game matters more :laugh:

Just wondering, how long did it take Peyton, favre, elway and Aikman to win a playoff game? Romo sits to pee is starting is 3 season. Since skins fans love to jump on this point, just would like to see some perspective

Romordinary eats the cheese!

I'm glad he's starting to believe the hype.

It's going to be a nasty crash this season...

...and, I'll have the play-by-play.

Get your popcorn ready.

No one will admit it, but the pukes have less talent on this squad than they did last year.

Their ST will suck early this year...probably cost them a game.

And, when you plug in rookies at skill positions, even part-time, something bad usually happens.

Losing also make malcontents surface...should be exciting!

How do they have less talent? Please elaborate

Just wondering, how long did it take Peyton, favre, elway and Aikman to win a playoff game? Romo sits to pee is starting is 3 season. Since skins fans love to jump on this point, just would like to see some perspective

Are you comparing Romo sits to pee to Peyton, Favre, Elway and Aikman?

:laugh:

Peyton had the most difficulty of these QBs to get his 1st playoff victory.

2nd yr - playoff loss 62.3 rating

3rd yr - playoff loss 82.0 rating

5th yr - playoff loss 31.2 rating

6th yr - playoff victory 158.3 rating (gets playoff monkey off his back)

playoff victory 138.8 rating

playoff loss 35.5 rating (monkey back on after bombing in AFC champ.)

Eli stepped a little faster than big brother but started out with a better team too

1st yr - played 2nd half of season

2nd yr - playoff loss 35.0 rating (will he be a choker like PM)

3rd yr - playoff loss 85.6 rating

4th yr - playoff victories & SB win (came through in the clutch)

Romo sits to pee just finished his 5th year in the league. Most of those guys were starting in their rookie seasons. Romo sits to pee should be much, much further along than any of them were at that point. Just look how much better Philip Rivers first year of playing was than Eli Manning's. Romo sits to pee needs to stop choking, or else even the Cowboy fans will start running out of excuses.

Peyton had the most difficulty of these QBs to get his 1st playoff victory.

2nd yr - playoff loss 62.3 rating

3rd yr - playoff loss 82.0 rating

5th yr - playoff loss 31.2 rating

6th yr - playoff victory 158.3 rating (gets playoff monkey off his back)

playoff victory 138.8 rating

playoff loss 35.5 rating (monkey back on after bombing in AFC champ.)

Eli stepped a little faster than big brother but started out with a better team too

1st yr - played 2nd half of season

2nd yr - playoff loss 35.0 rating (will he be a choker like PM)

3rd yr - playoff loss 85.6 rating

4th yr - playoff victories & SB win (came through in the clutch)

So it seems to me that Romo sits to pee's 2 playoff losses are no differentthan mannings. Thanks for the info

So it seems to me that Romo sits to pee's 2 playoff losses are no differentthan mannings. Thanks for the info

Yeah, I loved it when Manning fumbled the perfect snap on the chip-shot FG that would have won his first playoff game and then threw a pick in the endzone with the game on the line at home in his 2nd playoff game. The two are indistinguishable. :rolleyes:

Buut he's won playoff games...and a Super Bowl...with fewer Pro Bowlers

Exactly. Someone with that much talent (aka. Tony Homo) should be winning playoff games and make it to a Super Bowl. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin lol.

:dallasuck

Yeah, I loved it when Manning fumbled the perfect snap on the chip-shot FG that would have won his first playoff game and then threw a pick in the endzone with the game on the line at home in his 2nd playoff game. The two are indistinguishable. :rolleyes:

hahahahaha, pwned!

How can this be a serious debate.... the numbers speak for themselves. 0-2 in playoffs, and whatever stats there are for regular guy, Im going to have to say regular guy. Also, you cant say he hasnt won in 5 seasons when he has only played 2. What on earth could he do when Drew "Statue" Bledsoe was playing to win his team a playoff game. Well I guess at the time he could have ran gatorade to some players a little faster.

How can this be a serious debate.... the numbers speak for themselves. 0-2 in playoffs, and whatever stats there are for regular guy, Im going to have to say regular guy. Also, you cant say he hasnt won in 5 seasons when he has only played 2. What on earth could he do when Drew "Statue" Bledsoe was playing to win his team a playoff game. Well I guess at the time he could have ran gatorade to some players a little faster.

Psh, the way that the media slobs on Romo sits to pee's knob you'd think that he could actually win from the bench.

Archived