Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Whitlock's NFC Super Bowl hopefuls (merged)

Thinking Skins

I don't think anyone in the NFC wants a piece of the Skins. IF we get by the Iggles on Sunday...this team has the potential to take it to the house. Ya gotta love the respect...but let's not let it go to our heads. Our whole season rides on one game...

I agree 100% Teams arent going to want to see us on there upcoming schedule for a good reason, because they know we can knock them out.

I'm still trying to stop laughing!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/051229

Of all the teams in the NFC, the Washington Redskins are the only team capable of winning the Super Bowl.

After being down on Joe Gibbs early in the season, I have to credit him for getting things together. If the Skins knock off the Eagles, they will enter the playoffs as the hottest team in the league -- hotter than the streaking Patriots, also winners of four straight.

Of course, we know the Redskins can play defense. What's been impressive is their offensive explosion the last two weeks -- 35 points in each victory, over the Cowboys and Giants.

The Skins have a good offensive line, three good running backs, a big-play receiver (Santana Moss), an effective tight end (Chris Cooley) and a QB who has thrown 22 touchdowns and just nine interceptions.

OK, while I'm on the subject, let me rank the NFC Super Bowl hopefuls.

1. Redskins: Outstanding defense and just enough offense to beat any team in the league.

2. Bears: Absolutely love the move to Rex Grossman. If Muhsin Muhammad holds on to the football, the Bears might score enough points to sneak into the Bowl.

3. Seahawks: Just feel like Matt Hasselbeck is going to do a couple of stupid things in Seattle's playoff opener and it's going to be curtains.

4. Buccaneers: Wouldn't be surprised if they were routed in their first playoff game. Wouldn't be surprised if they advanced to the NFC championship.

5. Panthers: You can rip Carolina's defense, but the problem with the Panthers is their running game. Lack of a consistent ground attack has exposed Jake Delhomme.

6. Giants: Eli Manning's happy feet and 52 percent completion rate will cost the Giants early.

7. Cowboys: You gotta make the playoffs to advance to the Super Bowl.

OK, while I'm on the subject, let me rank the AFC Super Bowl hopefuls.

1. Colts: The only thing that can stop Indy is the tragedy that struck the Dungy family.

2. Steelers: Crazy, isn't it? A couple of weeks ago, I was predicting a loss to the Bears and a playoff miss. Now the Steelers are the second-best team in the AFC.

3. Patriots: Hey, Tom Brady still takes the snaps. It could happen.

4. Jaguars: Jack Del Rio should bring Byron Leftwich in off the bench throughout the playoffs. He could be the spark that opponents can't prepare for.

5. Bengals: I actually like the Bengals, but the 37 points they surrendered at home to the Bills says a lot about what Marvin Lewis needs to do this offseason.

6. Broncos: Ranked this low solely because I think they match up the worst against the Colts. The Donkies can beat everybody else, but would lose by more than two TDs to Peyton.

7. Chiefs: You gotta make the playoffs to advance to the Super Bowl.

Memo to Michael Vick: If you want to be a legitimate NFL QB, get in the film room and prepare like a legitimate NFL QB.

When you watch Vick play, you can tell he's not a student of the game. The whole world fell in love with his athleticism and ability to improvise. Well, quarterbacks still win football games by out-preparing the opposition.

Vick rarely looks off safeties, rarely finds his second and third receivers and rarely responds well to criticism. Vick's groupie defenders are going to prevent him from taking full advantage of his gifts.

The Ravens should let go of Brian Billick. They won't make the playoffs next year.

If the Ravens win their finale, Billick's record the last four seasons will be .500. The Ravens are not making progress. They're at a standstill and you can't blame it all on injuries to Ray Lewis.

Billick, an offensive coach, has never fielded an explosive offensive team in Baltimore. It's ridiculous he's being retained.

Strangely, I believe the Vikings should retain Mike Tice.

Now, I don't believe Tice did some remarkable coaching job this year, getting the Vikes above .500 after the Love Boat fiasco, which was the most overblown media creation in the history of sports.

What's next? Will we be outraged to learn that movie stars have participated in orgies at the Playboy mansion?

Tice should be retained because he and the Vikings had a chance to mature this season, and the maturity wasn't a result of winning after the Smoot Dogg party. The maturity came from winning without Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss.

Everyone acknowledged that Moss' ego hurt the Vikings' chemistry. Now everyone knows that Culpepper's ego was also in the way. Culpepper needed to be humbled, too. And nothing is more humbling than watching Brad Johnson outplay you at quarterback. The only thing more humbling would be 400-pound Ted Washington out-auditioning you for a starring role in an adult movie.

Dick Vermeil is upset about a report that he can't come back to the Chiefs next season even if he wants to.

Vermeil is praying that the Chiefs win on Sunday, so he can walk away saying he led the Chiefs to 10 victories and put them on a path to the Super Bowl. After getting run out of St. Louis to make room for Mike Martz, Vermeil is defensive about experiencing the same thing in Kansas City.

The only way these things affect us is if the players see it a nd get swollen heads and underestimate the other team.

This is the truth. :notworthy If we were to loose this game, that would be why because we are by far the better team. We just have to show up.

Back to the topic, I think that the media can jinx a team or person, but in this case, Gibbs will keep these guys focused on the task at hand. Get big headed when the season is over.

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

I don't care about the jinx or not. I love it!

We, more importantly, Gibbs is getting the respect he deserves. While the Seahags are really probably the hottest team in the NFL with us as a close second, we are maybe the most dangerous because of our defense and our running game combined.

I just can't see Seattle making it. I think Holmgren is overrated as a coach and Rhodes still hasn't constructed a very good defense.

The amazing part of our season is that in only ONE game were we not in it till the bitter end. ONE GAME. Combine that with the strength of the teams we faced and that's awesome to think about!

Jason Whitlock is not an expert. Let me be the first to say that he is probably the dumbest/worst sportswriter ever.

I love Whitlock...he is one of the few sportswriters who gives Mike Lupica fits on the Sports Reporters...anyone who does that is OK with me..I can't stand Lupica

I love these boards. When the experts don't say good things everyone calls them mediots and screams for respect. When they start picking the Skins people complain that they are jinxing the team.

I was thinking the same thing.....oh well

Let's just beat the Eagles on Sunday. When we win this ExtremeSkins better get ready for alot of more people on the bandwagon.

Hail.

I like Jason Whitlock, but I'm tired of hearing him and every other armchair quarterback kiss Brett Favre's washed up ass (referring to Whitlock's idea that Favre go to Oakland). You don't throw 28 INTs by accident. He's played terribly this season, and all the football analysts continue to apologize for him. If this were any other quarterback, they'd be begging for him to be benched.

It's all just talk. One thing is not tied to the other thing. If Ricardo in DC takes a leak and sings hail to the redskins it doesn't have any bearing on the games. If everyone on this board writes "we're going to the superbowl" and buys plane tickets to Detroit, it has no bearing on the game. There is no Karma, it's a smile on a dog. You fools that want FANS to take it one game at a time are annoying.

I say we're gonna take it all the way and none of them will be close how about that?

Step back and think about it, Some guy in Bristol Connecticut, or where ever these guys are, Says we're good a few months after he says we're bad and now we are in trouble? Please.

Now on the other hand if I don't flip the light switch 3 times before leaving a room or wash my hands 5 times after I walk down the stairs, then we will certainly lose.

Foolishness...

ugh. bad karma. I liked it better when ESPN hated us :doh:

This is the hypocrisy of this board. When we get bad press, or no press at all, people spit venom at the network and writers. Now we have a guy saying we are a favorite to get to the superbowl, and people are saying they liked it better when the networks hated us.

:whoknows:

I like seeing us picked and getting some respect on tv. It is refreshing.

This is the hypocrisy of this board. When we get bad press, or no press at all, people spit venom at the network and writers. Now we have a guy saying we are a favorite to get to the superbowl, and people are saying they liked it better when the networks hated us.

:whoknows:

I like seeing us picked and getting some respect on tv. It is refreshing.

Yea you're right. It's fun seeing us talked about on the national scale.

http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/index?&lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_NFL_NFL

not sure if this has been posted already, if it has, im sorry. but it is great reading for redskin fans. Probably the most positive redskins opinion ive read in a long time.

8. Of all the teams in the NFC, the Washington Redskins are the only team capable of winning the Super Bowl.

After being down on Joe Gibbs early in the season, I have to credit him for getting things together. If the Skins knock off the Eagles, they will enter the playoffs as the hottest team in the league -- hotter than the streaking Patriots, also winners of four straight.

Of course, we know the Redskins can play defense. What's been impressive is their offensive explosion the last two weeks -- 35 points in each victory, over the Cowboys and Giants.

The Skins have a good offensive line, three good running backs, a big-play receiver (Santana Moss), an effective tight end (Chris Cooley) and a QB who has thrown 22 touchdowns and just nine interceptions.

7. OK, while I'm on the subject, let me rank the NFC Super Bowl hopefuls.

1. Redskins: Outstanding defense and just enough offense to beat any team in the league.

2. Bears: Absolutely love the move to Rex Grossman. If Muhsin Muhammad holds on to the football, the Bears might score enough points to sneak into the Bowl.

3. Seahawks: Just feel like Matt Hasselbeck is going to do a couple of stupid things in Seattle's playoff opener and it's going to be curtains.

4. Buccaneers: Wouldn't be surprised if they were routed in their first playoff game. Wouldn't be surprised if they advanced to the NFC championship.

5. Panthers: You can rip Carolina's defense, but the problem with the Panthers is their running game. Lack of a consistent ground attack has exposed Jake Delhomme.

6. Giants: Eli Manning's happy feet and 52 percent completion rate will cost the Giants early.

7. Cowboys: You gotta make the playoffs to advance to the Super Bowl.

6. OK, while I'm on the subject, let me rank the AFC Super Bowl hopefuls.

1. Colts: The only thing that can stop Indy is the tragedy that struck the Dungy family.

2. Steelers: Crazy, isn't it? A couple of weeks ago, I was predicting a loss to the Bears and a playoff miss. Now the Steelers are the second-best team in the AFC.

3. Patriots: Hey, Tom Brady still takes the snaps. It could happen.

4. Jaguars: Jack Del Rio should bring Byron Leftwich in off the bench throughout the playoffs. He could be the spark that opponents can't prepare for.

5. Bengals: I actually like the Bengals, but the 37 points they surrendered at home to the Bills says a lot about what Marvin Lewis needs to do this offseason.

6. Broncos: Ranked this low solely because I think they match up the worst against the Colts. The Donkies can beat everybody else, but would lose by more than two TDs to Peyton.

7. Chiefs: You gotta make the playoffs to advance to the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/051229

Whitlock joins Joey T. by projecting Washington as a Super Bowl contender. But he goes further by writing Washington has the best chance of reaching the Super Bowl in the NFC.

Check out items #7 & 8 in this column.

The National Talking Heads are turning around.

C'mon Washington... Just Win Sunday.

I'm not used to the talking head giving this team respect.

Even when they won championships I don't recall any respect coming their way.

This doesn't feel right.

Archived