Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How did you become a Skins fan?

tlk2rn

we call my mom the matriarch of redskins fans in my extremely large family...i remember seeing them winning the superbowl when i was around 8 years old in like 92. my whole family went nuts. i didn't know what to do so i went nuts too. i remember running around with my mom when i was around 5 years old...singing hail to the redskins to people in our family...she made me the fan i am today...ever since then i've been addicted...HAIL!!!

My dad is a big influence.. I remember growing up and my mom would force my dad to watch the skins play else where so we watched the games together in my room. so my brother and I are both huge skins fans...

however one of my sisters is an Eagles fan (married to an Eagles guy) and my other sister is a Colts fan (bandwagon jumper)

In '82 in six grade, I went home with a friend after school. His room was decked out with Redskins banners, football cards, and autographs. It was so awesome,

never saw anything like it. Been a Huge Skins fan ever since. Remember watching SB XVII, yelling and shouting for the Skins. GO SKINS!!!!

I was born and raised in Riverdale which is right outside of D.C. My entire family were all huge Die Hard Skins fans so ever since I can remember watching the Skins games were a big deal. I'd like to also share an intersting story. My grandfather who eventually died of emphysema had one of his attacks in the hospital where he couldn't breathe. He eventually died from one of these attacks so its a very serious matter. Well, 5 nurses came running in code red and what not. He kept making this motion with his hands and they didn't understand what he meant. Finally I realized prior to his attack we were watching the Redskins game and his motions were for the Nurses to get out of the way of the T.V cause he couldn't see the Skins play. In a way you could say he cared more about the Redskins then life itself.

99 was the glorious year I started to watch football on my room mates tv, the first team I watched, the skins. Watched it every week, learnt the game on my own and have been a fan ever since. Became a rabid fan when my friends from UT Austin were cowboys fans and talked smack to me. Hated em and all of Texas since then, lo I was anointed a redskins fan

My step-dad came along when I was 8 years old. He is the biggest Redskin fan I know of...to this day (36 years later). I didn't really know the who Sonny or Billy were then, but these names and many others would become household names in the years to come.

If it wasn't for my Dad, I might've never known the joy of being a Redskin Fan!

:cheers:

1983. My father bought me a Redskins coat with the leather sleeves and cotton body. I was 7 at the time and I believe I wore the jacket it till it looked like a short sleeve shirt. I also had the Skins skull cap with the fuzzy ball on top. I remember watching SB XVII and just loving the colors and the fact that they were winning. As I got older, I fell in love with G. Clark and the rest has been a love affair ever since.

Even though times as a Skins fan have not been anything to boast about as of late, it has been a humbling experience. I love the fact that I don't give a rat's a@# about what I am doing to bring in the New Years. My concern is that I am in front of my T.V. at 4:15 on Sunday. Damn this is a good feeling!

As Jason Lee said in the movie "Vanilla Sky", "life is about the sour and the sweet and without the sour, the sweet ain't as sweet". Uh or sum'n like that. :)

It was winter of 82 & I started watching football with my dad , didn't know much @ the age of 7 , well My Mothers side of the Family was from DC & my grandfather was a little skins fan! well I saw the skins & something just said this is my team ! well been ever since ! ever since that yr I have gotton Redskins stuff for Christmas ! HTTR

or not used to watch football, i DO watch football, and in 1982(i was born in 1991), when my mom came from india to the US, my dad was already here a year earlier, so anyway, when my mom moved to the US, that was just 2 days before the redskins won the superbowl against miami

Dads a damn Cowgirl Fan And Cant Stand listening to how that was americas team and the bigest rival team was the redskins and i just kept with them and have found a true love for the tradition of the skins. To this day i cant watch football with my pa for it gets heated. but i got the beast of it this year and will for years to come for the cowgirs arnt going anywear but down probaly was in the 5th or 6th grade. Now nothing could stop me from the love of the skins eather your a full hearted skins fan our your not there arnt bandwagon skins fans as you get with yoru cowgirls. good our bad your a skins fan and not ashamed of it i can allways tell when the girls are loosing or having a bad year cause dads gear dont come out of the closet but sunday my gear is allways getting dirty HTTR Bring it home

Okay it was back in 1964 Sonny Jurgensen finally becomes a Redskin. What a quarterback. I was hooked, Jurgusen had a way of threading a defense to pieces and was the best person ever to control a 2 minute clock. His talent made all the other teams look like stale beer.

Then there was Vince Lombardi who came to town, a man who had made the Green Bay Packers my second favorite team of all time. What a duo Jurgesen and Lombardi the scenarios were endless. You could almost see the championship trophies rolling in. Too bad Vince didn't live long enough to give the Skins a thorough run for the money. :(

Then came the 70's and the George Allen ERA began. Thats when special teams were an after thought, but good Old George made it a mainstay in the NFL. He showed everyone that special teams could win games. George Allen even had a way of hyping his team up into a frenzy, then they would win games on shear willpower. George Allen gave the Skins their first title in what 29 years. ;)

Then came the 80's and Ole Joe Gibbs came to town, need I say anymore Super Bowl Champs. Great players, Great coaches, the Hogs, John Riggins, Mark Mosely, The Fun Bunch and the list went on. Gibbs took an ordinary team and made them champs.

Then came me sitting on my couch every Sunday longing for the Glory Day's. But I still wore my hat, the one I had bought back in 1983. Yes, it had gotten kind of cruddy so I bought a new one this year. You know the one with the Script R on it. Go Skins.

Yes, it's alway's been great being a Redskin win, lose or draw. Well heck, I guess I've always been a Redskins fan no kidding. But my grandson roots for Dallas and for a long while I'd let him rub it in. This year though he's hiding his cowboy hat. He'll come around eventually though. He's just going along with his dad who hasn't learned that Burgandy & Gold are the true mark of a real NFC team and not the drab silver stuff of an off shoot team from Texas. :dallasuck

Your either born one or you grow into it. Heck, I turned my wife into a skins fan and she didn't even know that they were quarters instead of innings. :point2sky

Anyway, I'm a Die Hard.

Even though times as a Skins fan have not been anything to boast about as of late, it has been a humbling experience. I love the fact that I don't give a rat's a@# about what I am doing to bring in the New Years. My concern is that I am in front of my T.V. at 4:15 on Sunday. Damn this is a good feeling!

As Jason Lee said in the movie "Vanilla Sky", "life is about the sour and the sweet and without the sour, the sweet ain't as sweet". Uh or sum'n like that. :)

I hear ya, brother!! :helmet:

Archived