Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How did you become a Skins fan?

tlk2rn

My grandfather was a HUGE Skins fan, he influenced my mom and dad and ever since then Ive been a mad/insane fan. The last game at RFK, I stormed the field and got a huge piece of turf and put it in a glass case, the rest of the dirt I spread on my Grandfathers grave. THANK YOU GRANDADDY!!!!!

I have always said that Being a redskins fan was beaten into my head since I was a baby. Let me explain:

When I was an toddler, My father (redskins fan) and my uncle (cowboys fan) were watching a game where the skins and the cowboys were playing each other. A certian young cornerback decided to make a name for himself when he chased down Tony Dorsett from behind. My dad, who was holding me, jumped up in sheer exctasy, and spiked me on the edge of the coffee table. My head split open, blood gushed, the ambulance was called, my mom fainted, the paramedics took me and my mom to the hospital. My dad and my uncle stayed home to finish out that Monday night football game before coming to the hospital. Still have the scar on my forehead to this day. A scar of my undying passion for the team that my dad loved so much that he forgot that I was not a football.

I'm an Air Force brat and we lived in St. Petersburg, FL when I started to get interested in sports in the mid-60s. My Mom went to Duke with Sonny Jurgensen (they played in a regular bridge game together) and both my Mom and Dad were Skins fans because of him. We were transferred to the DC area in 1971 and the rest is history. Pat Fischer is my favorite Skin with Charlie Harraway a close 2nd.

Here's my story, from Giants country.

My dad isn't a big football fan (He's coming around now, mostly with my help). So there wasn't anybody pushing me in any direction.

I had watched a couple of super bowls (I remember XIX slightly, I won money off my mom in XX. Why she thought the Pats would win I have no idea.)

Back on the subject. I started really watching & paying attention the following year. I would play in my Dad's office pool & actually won a couple of times, so that's the origin of fooball = money for me.

Fast forward to Super Bowl XXI. My dad had 0/0 in his office box pool. The Giants score late in the fourth quarter to make it 39 to 20. My brother & I are going crazy, once the point after is good, pops has a grand & we're getting some money too! Then my dad says "He's gotta hit that extra point." I laughed it off, & of course, Raul Allegre shanked it. I despise him to this day.

So, to cement my hatred of the Giants, I had to root for a division rival. Arizona (actually, they were St. Louis at the time) & Philly were out immeadiately. So it was down to the Cowboys & the Skins. I did my research, Washington was better, having reached the NFC Championship game that season, so the Skins won out. I thank god every day for that, as well. The next year, the Super Bowl was a little better........

I'm the only skins fan in the family, although I'm working on my cousin. (She's 20 months old). I already taught her how to say Cowboys Stink & Giants Stink. I have to get her to watch a Skins game, if Xmas Day was any indication, she's a Packer fan right now.......

My Mom's whole family are die hard skins fans, so when the browns left town for five years, I had to like someone. Not to mention spending about a month in DC every year, and another month vacationing in Delaware, which is 99% skins fans anyways. It was inevitable, i was raised a skins fan and will die a skins fan as well.HAIL VICTORY!

Being from northern New Jersey I was and still am surrounded by Jets and Giants fans, but when I was little my cousin, who was dating a Skins fan at the time, always took me to watch games with them and root on the Skins. I have been a fan ever since. The sad thing is she went on and married an Eagles fan, but she still bleeds B&G. He will get hell this weekend.

1988 superbowl was a big step for me. My parents had just moved us to NoVa after my dad was transferred from Germany. They didnt really understand the whole Redskins-hysteria yet. We went to a Superbowl party at a neighbors house and I can remember that as clear as day. We whipped them and I have been a fan ever since.

My Dad had been a Skins fan since the days of Sammy Baugh and saw several games in old Griffith Stadium and then in D.C. Stadium where you could buy tickets at the stadium.

All that changed in 1965 when my Mom got my Dad season tickets for his 50th birthday. He used to bring the game programs home and I used to look at them and read them. Those game programs got me hooked.

We also used to listen to the games on the radio on WMAL back before every game was televised. Steve Gilmartin did the play-by-play and Len Hathaway and Mal Campbell provided color and stats.

My Dad took me to see my first game in 1967 against the 49ers when Otto Graham was the coach. That did it for me.

I've been a Skins fan since the early 70's. Went through a lot of tough years before Joe showed up on his white horse. My grandfather who passed in 97' took me to my first game in 76'. My father has always been a Skins fan, so the torch was passed to me. I bare the scars emotionally from that Thanksgiving Day game in Dallas when Longley came in & led that horendous comeback by Dallas. I've always despised the Boys and cherrish everytime that we can pound them into submission. Hail!!!

First game ever saw was DEN/WAS superbowl, my dad hated the broncos and John Wrongway so had to cheer for the redskins. Have been in love with them ever since. Long for the day to actually get to go to FEDEX and watch a game with 90,000 of my closest friends. I think this weekend they might actually hear me in PHL all the way from North Dakota. Go Skins

Archived