Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We have 17 years to live, maybe.

The Evil Genius

Who's your choice as president today?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your choice as president today?

• George W. Bush -- the dumber and more dangerous, the better
    • Bill Clinton -- while Monica was going down, our stocks were going up
    • John McCain -- honest *and* a Republican? you're kidding, right?
    • Colin Powell -- you mean somebody on Bush's team isn't a crook?
    • Al Gore -- long live the great alien android experiment
    • Joe Lieberman -- the thinking man's, chin-challenged Democrat
    • Pat Buchanan -- seig heil!
    • Ross Perot -- crazy, sure, but crazy like a fox!
    • Art -- since he's *always* right, shouldn't he be President?
    • Somebody not on this list

The sky is falling!!!!

Expert: Asteroid May Hit Earth, but Don't Panic

Wed Jul 24,11:03 AM ET

By Kate Kelland

LONDON (Reuters) - A massive asteroid could hit Earth in just 17 years' time, destroying life as we know it, a British space expert said Wednesday.

The asteroid -- the most threatening object ever detected in space -- is two km (1.2 miles) wide and apparently on a direct collision course with Earth.

"Objects of this size only hit the Earth every one or two million years," said Dr. Benny Peiser, an asteroid expert at Liverpool John Moore's University in northern England.

"In the worst case scenario, a disaster of this size would be global in its extent, would create a meltdown of our economic and social life, and would reduce us to dark age conditions," he told Reuters.

But Peiser and other space experts say they are pretty confident this nightmare scenario will not come about.

"This thing is the highest threat that has been cataloged, but the scale in terms of the threat keeps changing," said Peter Bond, spokesman for the Royal Astronomical Society.

"If it did hit the Earth it would cause a continental-size explosion...but it is a fairly remote possibility."

The asteroid -- named 2002 NT7 -- was first detected earlier this month by the United States Linear sky survey program.

Since then, Peiser said scientists at the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration's (NASA ( news - web sites)) near-Earth objects team and at Pisa University in Italy have carried out orbit calculations to work out the probability and potential date of impact to define the risk it poses.

Their calculations show it could hit the earth on February 1, 2019.

"The impact probability is below one in a million, but because the first impact date is so early -- only 17 years from now -- and the object is very large, it's been rated on the impact risk Palermo Scale as a positive," Peiser said. "It is the first object which has ever hit a positive rating."

Scientists warn, however, that the risk rating has not been reviewed by the International Astronomical Union, which is the main international body responsible for announcing such risks.

Peiser said 2002 NT7 would continue to be monitored by space experts across the world, and that over time, these observations would probably erase the threat posed by it.

"In all likelihood, in a couple of months additional observations will eliminate this object from the list of potential impacts," he said. "I am very confident that additional observations over time will...show that it is actually not on a collision course with Earth."

But he warned that the world should take this as wake-up call and set about preparing for the reality of an asteroid hit in the future.

"Sooner or later -- and no one can really tell us which it will be -- we will find an object that is on a collision course. That is as certain as "Amen" in church. And eventually we will have to deflect an object from its collision course," he said.

At the moment, he added, scientists fear it could take at least 30 years for the world to be able to devise and set up a mission to deal with such a threat -- a timescale which would be woefully inadequate if the 2019 strike were to happen.

Hey, at least we've tracked this one BEFORE it whizzed by our ear, unlike the last two earlier this year.

The last 4 paragraphs of the piece cover it, essentially saying that this one probably won't hit, but we probably oughta think about preparing anyway -- you know, just in case.

Which we won't, of course. It's all just too Bruce Willis in the minds of most homo sapiens)

No sweat ... we'll just let our great granchildren worry about it.

On to more important stuff, right?

Om - I am well aware of that. I was just saying that I will worry about a giant asteroid hitting the Earth when that time comes and that I'm not going to worry too much about this one. I'll see what it looks like in 10 years.

At least I'm not blaming it on the liberals. :)

A few short years ago I would have been making jokes about asteroid parties, not saving money and retiring early. Now that I have two young children, I'll be watching these further monitorings and calculations with interest.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

At least I'm not blaming it on the liberals. :)

Hey, the liberals have long opposed the space-based defense system originally proposed by Reagan. With that program significantly delayed, the liberals have probably prevented us from having the technology deployed to stop an asteroid.

So, the end of the world is the fault of the liberals. :laugh:

Here is illustration of the original story -

asteroid_crash_graphic.gif

A massive asteroid could hit Earth in just 17 years' time, destroying life as we know it, a British space expert said on July 24, 2002. The asteroid -- the most threatening object ever detected in space -- is 1.2 miles wide and apparently on a direct collision course with Earth. (Reuters Graphic)

By the way, if California does fall off the face of the Earth, so goes the WORLD's 4th largest economy. And, coincidentally, the majority of agricultural products produced in the US.

Peace.

If it's apparently on a direct collision course, and it doesn't hit, I wonder how close it will come. Will we be able to reach up and touch it? Will we be able to see it with the naked eye?

So, the end of the world is the fault of the liberals. :laugh:

So true...

:twitch:

How many more superbowls do we win before its all over?

My guess is 6:pint:

What kind of fan are you!?

It's 17 baby!!

btw, is there a way of telling or does anyone know when was the last time the moon was noticibly hit?:pint:

Archived