Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaching

HailToTheRedskins14

Okay peeps, pardon me for the awful OP, but I'm currently a coach-in-training, and I wanted to ask yall what yall know about potential coaches. Basically, my dream is to be a basketball coach, at the college or high-school level, and I want to know if yall know anybody who is currently coaching at either position. I'm all about basketball, but I still want to know about anybody coaching at those levels. Do yall know any college or high-school coaches? How did they get their job? Do you think you could realistically be a good coach?

If you want to know who is a good coach, go over to the main board and check out OldFan's posts or anybody elses! In all seriousness, what do yall know about the coaching profession that could help a wannabe coach?

Learn your history, learn the game, watch film, study players, study defenses...and go from there.

Being a coach is multi-faceted. It's a lot more than the things I stated to be successful. Get in at the HS level and prove yourself. You don't get in at the college level unless you have an in.

But why not be a pro coach ? Why the cut off ?

I coach youth, club soccer. Probably a more intense environment than high school for this sport. I don't have any interest of coaching high school but would want to do it at the college level.

For me, the key is constant improvement. I try to attend as many courses or seminars I can in the offseason to improve what I understand about my particular sport. There's always the sport itself and general physical training, player psychology, leadership programs, etc.

Build a good reputation for yourself and don't miss opportunities to network. Who you know matters as much as what you know. The decision makers (Athletic directors/school board/principals) rarely give a **** whether or not your kids can execute a pick and roll.

Archived