Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Land of the Dead *spoilers*

Destino

Originally posted by steveo56

Seeing it saturday myself. BIG zombie fan. Did you pick up City of the Dead yet?

Still waiting for City of the Dead to arrive by mail, the bookstores around here don't have it so I had to order it.

Yeah, I want to check it out. I was surprised to see so many fresh tomatoes on there, Ebert even gave it 3 out of 4 stars. I've liked the last few zombie flicks I've seen, 28 Days Later was really cool until the ending, and I thought the Dawn of the Dead remake was halfway decent, so this should be better since it is the original director. Shaun of the Dead was pretty funny too, and I heard that Romero liked it so much that the guy who played Shaun is one of the zombies in this one!

Originally posted by TODD

Is this a sequel to Dawn of the Dead?

This is from George Romero, the guy who made the original "Night Of The Living Dead", the original "Dawn Of The Dead" in 1979(The one last year was a "retelling" of that one), and "Day Of The Dead" in 1985 I think, so this new one is the 4th in his series

Gonna see it tomorrow afternoon. I'm a huge Zombie fan. If you're in the DC area, Dr. Dremos, in Arlington has some really good zombiefests. Some of that 70's stuff was unbelievably graphic, even by todays standards. Most would probably get the NC17 rating.

Originally posted by dannyboy70

Gonna see it tomorrow afternoon. I'm a huge Zombie fan. If you're in the DC area, Dr. Dremos, in Arlington has some really good zombiefests. Some of that 70's stuff was unbelievably graphic, even by todays standards. Most would probably get the NC17 rating.

Yeah, I can remember when the original "Dawn Of The Dead" came out in 1979

It had no official rating, but they would not allow anyone under 18 in to see it

It wasn't as bad as it could've been, but there were too many gaping plot holes. It was just a canvas for some badass gore.

The city had how many years to fortify itself and they had about 6 soldiers and the only protection was a sheet of plywood? And how did that one big black zombie all of a sudden become smart? Hell, I would've been satisifed had they explained that with some sort of mutated goo or something like that, but nothing. It was a complete non-sequitor.

The plot was convoluted and ridiculously simple at the same time. I'm not even sure how they managed to pull that off.

I was half asleep and hung over when I saw it, so maybe I'm not the most qualified judge. I just thought it was really cheesy in a bad way. Not fun cheese, but we're taking ourselves way too seriously cheese.

Meh, see it if you're a big zombie fan, you'll probably like it.

Thought it was pretty good, but where it went wrong was giving feelings to the 'lead zombie'. When he cried out at the sight of his zombie friends getting killed, I had to just laugh. It was so f***ing stupid. It was like Darth or Wyatt Earp yelling "noooooooo!". Seriously cringable material. But the violence was GOOD. There were some very nice touches to this film. Dennis Hopper picking his nose, for instance. It's a silly little detail, but something I can say I have never seen in a film - a guy hangs up the phone, and very naturally sticks his finger in his nose. Interesting. This movie was pretty big budget and it looked like most of it went to the zombies. There was some wonderful gore in this movie, almost akin to the splinter-in-the-eyeball scene (and you zombie fans will know what I'm talking about). The story was weak, but hey- it's a zombie flick. Also not sure why they couldn't play Motorhead's "Eat the Rich" during a particular scene, but oh well.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

The city had how many years to fortify itself and they had about 6 soldiers and the only protection was a sheet of plywood?

Wasn't that on the side of with the river...the one the zombies never had crossed before?

Originally posted by Destino

Wasn't that on the side of with the river...the one the zombies never had crossed before?

I don't recall, it may have been, but it was the outskirts of the city, so I'm not sure. Either way, you need more than plywood when there are flesh eating zombies attempting to enter your city.

Which brings me to another plot hole. The spanish guy who got pissed because he wasn't allowed in the city demanded 5 million dollars. What the hell is he going to do with that money? Keep it as a souvenier? He obviously couldn't spend it on anything.

Im in agreement here with Orange, the movie seemed to take itself too seriously at times when you just knew it could never ever acheive a serious tone, there were a few lines that made me cringe and laugh at the same time because of how bad they were. Like the matador guy? "They call me Moolatte after the famous bull figher!" or "This is a massacre, I thought it was going to be a battle." All in all though fun movie to go see with a bunch of the guys, don't make the mistake I did and take a girl to it :( , but yeah AWESOME AWESOME GORE.

SPOILER ALERT

The guy who gets his hand chopped off and then falls on top of the grenade and blows up is one of the greatest things I have ever seen on film.

• 1 year later...

Sorry, I finally got around to seeing this movie. I have to admit; HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! Romero went overboard with his political hyperbole. I love the gore, but the "intelligent zombies" is a bit overkill. Perhaps he should've provided some sort of progression. However, why would zombies get "smarter"? Seems to me, the longer they are zombies, the more their brains would turn to mush. I know, I'm analyzing a zombie flick too deeply. The black zombie was just too far fetched for me. He was TOO smart. No doubt that Romero is the innovator, but I think Dawn of the Dead was (and will be) his last GREAT movie. And, unfortunately, the remake of Dawn was better. :(

EDIT: Oh, and the closing line "they're just looking for some place to go, just like us" made me want to freaking puke. I felt like I was watching a B-rated movie.

Archived