Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patten's base salaries. (Pretty odd, less than expected?)

Zen-like Todd

This is slightly peculiar. Patten's contract was reported to be a five year deal worth 13 million with a 3.5 million dollar signing bonus.

His base salaries according to nflpa.org add up to 6.5 million dollars. Throw in the 3.5 million dollar signing bonus, and you have a 5 year 10 million dollar contract. either Nunyo's reporting was wrong, or there's a big old roster bonus in there somewhere. If the roster bonus is in year four or five, this is a very, very reasonable contract. Cutting Patten (or allowing him to retire) after year three would make our outlay just 6.5 million dollars. :rubeyes:

Salary History

2005 665,000

2006 1,085,000

2007 1,250,000

2008 1,500,000

2009 2,000,000

As a side note, his SB proration is $700,000, giving him a 1.365 million dollar cap hit this year. Of course that reduce our cap by less than 1.365 million due to the rule of 51 unless I'm missing something.

But but... I thought Snyder was the worst owner ever and spent too much money on an aging vet? :confused:

Edit - Oh, and thanks. Any way we can make you our official Cap expert? Maybe a nice little page detailing everything like Buddha used to do? :D

I suspect that your theory of a roster bonus (probably in '06) is correct. The missing dollars are probably found in that bonus and it is probably convertable to a signing bonus. Patten was willing to sign such a deal which helps the Skins through the difficult 2005 cap situation. Moss will probably also get a deal like that (he won't have much choice if he wants more money now since he is under contract). I suspect that Pierce didn't want his bonus this way, so he is gone. Hopefully Smoot will accept such a deal.

Originally posted by fpickering

I don't know where you get the #4 number from.

Patton will be the #1 or #2 WR. Bank on it.

I think he was saying that he was OUR #1 or #2, whereas on NE he was their #4.

This pickup is starting to grow on me. I'm learning to like these cheap, "no-name" free agents!

Archived