Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Insider - Haslett focusing on turnovers, points as defense improves (Via Breaking News)

ACW

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak

A year after ranking among the worst in the league defensively while going through the growing pains of installing the 3-4 system, the Washington Redskins’ defense has gotten off to a strong start and a quarter of the way through the season ranks among the league leaders in multiple categories.

The Redskins are third-best in the league in total defense (limiting opponents to 291.8 yards a game) and in points allowed (holding opponents to 15.8 points per game).

Washington has 15 sacks in four games (fourth-best in the league) and ranks eighth against the pass (212 ypg) and sixth against the run (84.5 ypg).

The Redskins also have forced six turnovers (three interceptions and three fumble recoveries), which ranks 11th in the league.

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett is pleased to see his unit improving, but he never puts too much stock in statistics except for turnovers and points allowed. Those two have the greatest impact on the outcome of games, according to Haslett, and wins top his list of concerns.

:yes: YPG aren't unimportant, but not as crucial as TOs and PPG.

...the Washington Redskins’ defense has gotten off to a strong start and a quarter of the way through the season ranks among the league leaders in multiple categories.

Yeah, no **** :ols:..

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?356090-Various-Skins-offensive-and-defensive-stats-to-bore-yourself-with-%28only-listing-stats-in-the-top-10%29

---------- Post added October-15th-2011 at 04:30 PM ----------

:yes:

I never really understood why the defensive rankings are based solely on YPG. One would think that it should be based on PPG or something that has a direct correlation to wins and losses. :whoknows:

I think it should be some combo of both...a defense that allows 18 ppg and causes the most 3-and-outs per game should rank higher than a team that allows 17 ppg but ranks in the middle in terms of 3-and-out drives per game.

And they need to remove TDs from fumbles, punt and kickoff returns, and INT "pick-6s" from the defensive scoring rank. The defense isn't even on the field for those TDs.

I think it should be some combo of both...a defense that allows 18 ppg and causes the most 3-and-outs per game should rank higher than a team that allows 17 ppg but ranks in the middle in terms of 3-and-out drives per game.

And they need to remove TDs from fumbles, punt and kickoff returns, and INT "pick-6s" from the defensive scoring rank. The defense isn't even on the field for those TDs.

I would think that with as convoluted as the QB Rating and "Total QBR" are, someone could come up with a better formula for defensive rankings, especially with all the Sabremetrics that are out there.

I can't quite understand why he seems to place little importance on yards yet holds turnovers in such a high regard. A three and out usually provides great field position and hands the ball back to our offense. Dont get me wrong I understand that turnovers tend to provide an extra spark and I would prefer an int return but 3 and outs are pretty damn good too haha.

I can't quite understand why he seems to place little importance on yards yet holds turnovers in such a high regard. A three and out usually provides great field position and hands the ball back to our offense. Dont get me wrong I understand that turnovers tend to provide an extra spark and I would prefer an int return but 3 and outs are pretty damn good too haha.

We're really good on 3rd downs. I think we go aggressive on early downs to create pressure in 3rd and longs. We might give up a few first downs but I like it. Our DL is good enough that the 3rd and long is generally not too many plays after the drive starts.

Gonna be good to see our D when we get some points on the board early, hopefully that starts today. Should see some more TOs as a result too.

EDIT: I also think there's a strong link to our improved D and the DL we now have. Along with the return of Jenkins I would like another DL around the 3rd/4th round next draft along with a game 1 starting ILB. Primary goal has to be to fix the O (QB) so as not to waste what we look to have on D.

Luckily good running game and excellent D is a good place for a rookie QB.

Archived