Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fatigue Factor

Taft

My biggest concern for this team going forward is fatigue.

After the loss to Seattle in 2005, Gibbs said the biggest reason was they were simply exhausted after playing must win games for several week's prior to that divisional round game.

This year the fatigue risk is even greater, the team has suffered a lot of injuries, especially on D...and emotionally, they are in overdrive right now.

Hopefully Gibbs and crew will learn from '05 because clearly this team is playing well enough to win the NFC.

I know the mantra has to be "one game at a time", but we have to look at the big picture too, is there anything that the coaching staff and players can do to make sure this team is ready for 4 more must win games?

Good point, it will be very interesting to see how the intensity of this team can remain sky high. One of the guys on Mike and Mike this morning brought up the same issue, but Sean Salisbury reflected back to the steelers two years ago, who had to win 4 games to get in, then play all road games in playoffs. These guys are professionals not college, and hopefully being paid and the motivation of a 4 game win streak will continue. I think winning is contagious and it takes a lot to knock off any team that is rolling.

HTTR

Not much else you can do. They need to practice and prepare for Seattle. And its already a short week, so there really are no solutions. Now if we are kicking Seattle's ass, I would expect Gibbs to bench Portis, Moss, ARE, etc. But lets get there first.

Atleast the league didn't screw us and put us into the 1 o'clock game spot. We get a couple of extra hours back playin at 4. Hopefully, little things like that will help

Atleast the league didn't screw us and put us into the 1 o'clock game spot. We get a couple of extra hours back playin at 4. Hopefully, little things like that will help

i dont think you understand.....playing at 4 here means playing at 1 there in seattle......if we were playing at 1 here then we would be playing at 9am there and I dont think too many fans would be happy tailgating at 6am...but who knows, there are plenty of drunkards in this county.

i dont think you understand.....playing at 4 here means playing at 1 there in seattle......if we were playing at 1 here then we would be playing at 9am there and I dont think too many fans would be happy tailgating at 6am...but who knows, there are plenty of drunkards in this county.

That was my point, it seems like everybody is always against us, I just figured the league would screw us too, making us play at 9 am our time

i don't think that will be the case this year. while we were on a five game winnin streak back then, the team was breakin down physically. portis, moss, and brunell were playin hurt. randy thomas had just went down. i think cory raymer had to play some guard that game. everybody is just gettin healthy, or comfortable at there position, like fabini and heyer. and on top of all that, they're playin inspired ball right now, so that alone could cancel out any fatigue.

Good point, it will be very interesting to see how the intensity of this team can remain sky high. One of the guys on Mike and Mike this morning brought up the same issue, but Sean Salisbury reflected back to the steelers two years ago, who had to win 4 games to get in, then play all road games in playoffs. These guys are professionals not college, and hopefully being paid and the motivation of a 4 game win streak will continue. I think winning is contagious and it takes a lot to knock off any team that is rolling.

HTTR

Yea i was thinking that too. But Moss had been banged up so he hasnt played a full season. We still got a good back in betts to spell CP if needed. Todd is fresh and i think people are motivated with him. We got the best 12th man. Caldwell is also there at WR. Doughty hasn't played a full season yet. Heck, even half of our o line hasnt played a full season because half of them were backups.

Uh, they'll be playing in Seattle at 1:30 Pacific time, but yeah. On the other hand, to the Skins it will feel like 4:30 so it's all good.

I dont see it this year... the D is running harder and faster than they have all year...

and you have to admit that Portis looks better now than ever... did you see him juke and make some moves yesterday.... he didnt fall over his feet and he made guys miss..he hasnt moved like that in years....maybe since his first year with us..

another major factor that is helping us out is the fact that we are spreading the ball around. in 05 the only weapons we really had on offense was portis moss and an emerging cooley. also we had some depth issues on defense. this year we have a capable qb, portis/betts, are/moss/caldwell, cooley who are all contributing alot. on defense we are younger and have many starters rotating with backups who are playing very solidly. so hopefully all this factors into keeping us fresher for the long haul.

It isnt even about ST. Its about the fact that we peeked at the right time and our depth is much much better then it was in 2005. We were just as injury riddled in 05, but the caliber of the replacements wasnt what we have today. Also, we are peaking right now. All that momentum, the wins, the emotional rollercoaster, all of it is making the pain hurt less, and the hunger even more ravenous. ST is the icing on the cake. He is giving our players something to play for in their hearts. They dont want to let ST down, and he is personified in every hit, tackle, and win.

Seattle in '05 was our third straight road game after 6 straight wins. Our D was on the field for an eternity against Tampa the previous week.

That said, we still showed up ready to play in Seattle. Anyone remember knocking Alexander silly in the first?

Fatigue won't be half the problem that defending all those wr's will be.

Go take a look at their depth chart.

Just when I thought that I had read the dumbest post ever...

That was my point, it seems like everybody is always against us, I just figured the league would screw us too, making us play at 9 am our time

:doh:

2 Words: No Boonell! We'll be fine. Nothing they can do about it.

Good point. Our offense was sucking wind at the end of 2005. I feel much better with the way it's been running during the four game win streak. Plus, in 2005 we were coming off a blood-bath in Tampa. Dallas didn't put up all that much fight yesterday so it's not like they should be any more fatigued than after a normal game.

Almost afraid to say this, but what if TC gets hurt and Boonell is called upon to extend our season?

i think the fact many of our guys missed games due to injury will help them to stay fresh for a run. the o line is not the case unless thomas comes back. the def line has a good rotation of golston, montgomery, griffin. de we have carter, daniels, wilson, and evans good depth. linebacker, we really dont have any backup for london. secondary, big drop off. qb will be great. definitely play collins, unless he falters, then next week campbell is suppose to be ready. not any other team has the qb depth we have.

Archived