Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ellis still not a happy camper?

bedlamVR

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/103539.html

Ellis not happy he's underpaid

By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

Star-Telegram staff writer

Greg Ellis says he gave up money by staying with the Cowboys and being a team player when he didn't become a free agent. Now Ellis would like the Cowboys to be fair with him. IRVING -- Linebacker Greg Ellis is still frustrated and increasingly bitter.

Never mind the chat and pat on the back he recently received from coach Wade Phillips in an attempt to alleviate Ellis' concerns about his place on the team.

Ellis said the issue is simply a matter of economics and respect that goes back further than last year's disgruntlement over being moved to linebacker or the team's decision to draft linebacker Anthony Spencer in the first round of last month's draft.

Said Ellis: "It's been a slap in the face when you think about it."

Click on link for more

Is this guy ever happy in the offseason... now he is moping around and feals he may be released...again and they chose him over Randy Moss because of his great happy attitude...

...still all is well in Dallas land.... :dallasuck

I'm just glad Ellis finally admitted to what was bugging him. Dallas gave him a fair contract back in 2003. But right after he signed, the Eagles gave a huge deal to Kearse and the Seahawks gave a huge deal to Wistrom in 2004. By 2005 Ellis was unhappy and has been complaining ever since.

YAKUZA

Is this guy ever happy in the offseason... now he is moping around and feals he may be released...again and they chose him over Randy Moss because of his great happy attitude...

I doubt he gets released unless his attitude is so bad they just don't want to deal with him anymore. History shows that Phillips generally likes to bring along his LB's like Spencer in his first year. Ellis provides depth and you can never have too many quality pass rushers. I think after this season is when he's likely to get cut. Then he'll probably complain about something else.

YAKUZA

ellis is a good pass rusher

Part of the problem is that he's better when he's only getting about 50-60% of the snaps instead of 90%+ of the snaps. He stays fresher and is more consistent and efficient rushing the passer. Unfortunately he wants to play 90%+ of the snaps.

He got a bit unlucky and has his agent to blame. Like I said, he signed during the 2003 season. Then a little while later when the offseason came along, Philly overpaid for Kearse and Wistrom got overpaid for Seattle. Then after that the salary cap grew rapidly, so other FA's started getting better cash deals. But by then, Ellis was hitting 30 years old and was playing in a scheme that he's not really suited for.

YAKUZA

Greg Ellis is painfully slow and old. He should be glad he's still in the league and quit his griping. I remember a play where Clinton Portis exploited the above last year for a quick 40 yard rushing TD.

Clinton Portis is also frighteningly fast, the man has repeatedly run a like 4.2. He's got wicked speed and really, in the open field, everyone looks painfully slow compared to him.

Archived