Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Cowboys are really reaching...

Mr_Redskins

Check out the depth they have at the WR position, and the media is picking them to win it all :rolleyes: ..

OXNARD, Calif. -- The Cowboys have already added one discarded and controversial former Philadelphia Eagles receiver.

Might they add another?

Veteran wideout Freddie Mitchell, who did not play last season after spending the first four years of his career with the Eagles, tried out Sunday.

According to a source, the tryout was simply a look-see at Mitchell's request, and the Cowboys are not expected to sign him in the near future. But they did not rule out adding him at a later date.

If he does join the team, Mitchell would be reunited with receiver Terrell Owens. The two played together with the Eagles in 2004, with Mitchell filling in for Owens after Owens suffered a broken ankle late in the season.

Known more for his mouth than his play, Mitchell never lived up to expectations in Philadelphia after being selected out of UCLA in the first round of the 2001 NFL Draft.

After being released, Mitchell signed with the Chiefs in 2005 but was hampered by a knee injury and was released.

Coach Bill Parcells is concerned about depth behind starters Terry Glenn and Owens. Third receiver Patrick Crayton has proven capable at times, but he has only 34 career receptions. The other receivers in camp are Terrance Copper, Jamaica Rector, J.R. Tolver, rookie free agents Sam Hurd and Miles Austin, and fourth-round draft pick Skyler Green.

Parcells likes Rector, and Hurd has been impressive in camp. The coach said Green's only chance to contribute this year is on special teams.

"I know what Terrance Copper is," Parcells said. "I'm pretty sure I have him figured out. Beyond that I...can't answer [what we have] right now."

I'm guessing Randall Williams who hasn't been a receiver prospect for us for like 5 years.

That's the guy. See, you did know who I was talking about :).

And, it sure as hell hasn't been 5 years. More like a couple. I seem to remember there were some Cowboy fans here who were quite smitten with him. Not saying you were one of them.

That's the guy. See, you did know who I was talking about :).

And, it sure as hell hasn't been 5 years. More like a couple. I seem to remember there were some Cowboy fans here who were quite smitten with him. Not saying you were one of them.

Yeah honestly, some boys fans were overly hyped on his "potential" and I guess you were right he played on our '04-squad but mainly as ST. He had a chance to step up because we had a rash of injuries at the wr position at the time but he just couldn't play.

I recall hearing from many boys fans that Pat Crayton beating Sean Taylor was just the beginning of an illustrious career. That he was a 7th round steal or some such. I guess that play was pretty much a fluke.

Umm nooo.. he's going into his 3rd year only! He was really getting into a ryhthem as the teams third receiver last year until he went down with a knee injury the same game Flozelle went down... He's still regarded as a steal and a solid player who should not even be mentioned in the same sentence with Randall Williams.

Umm nooo.. he's going into his 3rd year only! He was really getting into a ryhthem as the teams third receiver last year until he went down with a knee injury the same game Flozelle went down... He's still regarded as a steal and a solid player who should not even be mentioned in the same sentence with Randall Williams.

Hard for a player to be regarded as a steal until he does anything besides show flashes. Who mentioned him with Randall Williams?

Hard for a player to be regarded as a steal until he does anything besides show flashes.

Before his injury last season, Patrick Crayton had 18 catches for 272 yards as compared to Randle El's 13 catches for 297 yards during that same span. And if you listen to your average skins fan, ARE is one of the best receivers in the game and destined for the Hall.

So I guess Crayton isn't too bad for a 7th round pick...

Before his injury last season, Patrick Crayton had 18 catches for 272 yards as compared to Randle El's 13 catches for 297 yards during that same span. And if you listen to your average skins fan, ARE is one of the best receivers in the game and destined for the Hall.

This might ruffle some feathers.

I havent heard any Skins fans be anything other than realistic about ARE abilities as a 3rd WR. He is going to help our Special Teams and be an upgrade from last yr's #3 WR. Brandon Lloyd is the one most people are hyped about, and most every fan on here would be happy with BL and ARE #'s from last yr, if Santana can hit the same kind of #'s from last yr

So crayton is as reliable as ARE in is special teams abilities. Crayton is owned by ST. So, what ever hopes & dreams you cowpokes out there might have of comparing the two are pretty silly.

Crayton is owned by ST.

I think the lifetime record between Taylor and Crayton is 1-1. While Sean did have a nice hit on him last season, I seem to recall Patrick running past him for a game winning TD the season before.

We'll call that one even...

No not really, considering ARE's Super Bowl performance, there is no comparison. Does crayton even play ST's?

Crayton returns punts and is a gunner on punt coverage. He's an excellent tackler on ST and just a so-so return guy. He'll lose that job to Skyler Green this year.

And ARE's Super Bowl performance??!?! Are you kidding me? Are you talking about his 3 catches for 22 yards. Wow. That is dominating.

With the exception of an occasional trick play, ARE is a non-factor. And Crayton played QB in college just like ARE so he's more than capable of throwing a WR option. I think the Crayton comparison is a fair one.

I think the lifetime record between Taylor and Crayton is 1-1. While Sean did have a nice hit on him last season, I seem to recall Patrick running past him for a game winning TD the season before.

We'll call that one even...

I'm sure pc doesn't feel that way. He's got alligatorarmitis & fumbleitis that seem to become very acute whenever ST is around.

I'm sure pc doesn't feel that way. He's got alligatorarmitis & fumbleitis that seem to become very acute whenever ST is around.

I guess that's why Patrick didn't have any problems with that game winning TD. Taylor was a good 5 yards behind him...

No not really, considering ARE's Super Bowl performance, there is no comparison. Does crayton even play ST's?

ARE's Superbowl performance was one game. Think of all the player's who got big contracts after a good Superbowl performance without ever translating it into future success: Dexter Jackson only a few years ago, Larry Brown in 1996 is the best example of course; Even Desmond Howard for Green Bay is a good example, though he didn't recieve a big contract afterwards. The Superbowl is one game. When guys like Tom Brady consistantly excel in it, that's one thing. When roll players have a huge day in it, it's irrelevant.

EDIT: It's especially irrelevant when a palyer's numbers are as pedestrian as Randle El's were in that game. I remember the trick play, but didn't realize he contributed so modestly elsewhere.

Yes, Patrick Crayton plays special teams. I believe he suffered his injury last year while returning a punt.

Archived