Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Well, well, well cowboy fans...

Dirk Diggler

I was lambasted by Cowboy fans in August for explaining in a # of posts why the Cowboys were very limited with Bledsoe at the QB position. Looks like the Tuna may be coming around to my thinking.

Mike (PA): Mort, How do you see this sundays matchup between the Bengals and Steelers playing out? Thanks!!!

Chris Mortensen: Again, I don't have the time to cover all of it. But Donohoe cleaned up a huge salary cap mess he inherited. He also inherited a terrible QB problem...and Bledsoe was the right bridge until they drafted a young guy. The Bills - and Ralph Wilson concurred - saw Bledsoe has a QB capable of being a 9-7 = now I hear Parcells is concerned about the same thing. Losman has the talent but the Bills counted on their No. 2 ranked defense to help them through. Pat Williams was a financial decision - they offered him a lot of money. He wangted more. They had key injuries on defense. I said this before - sometimes it just ain't your year. By the way, the McGahee pick turned out to be a pretty good one.

Hey, you know Mort, somehow he knows everything that Parcells thinks.

I also disagree about Bledsoe being only a 9-7 qb.

He freakin' won 6 games on fourth quarter comebacks!

We lost multiple games because we didn't have a FG kicker who could hit chip shots.

We had no line to protect a pocket passer.

Yeah, it must have been all of Blesoe's fault.

We lost multiple games because we didn't have a FG kicker who could hit chip shots.

Yea he did a pretty good job, i'll be the first to admit, but he doesn't have much left in the tank, and if you look at the #2 and #3 QB's on the Dallas depth chart, that's even scarier, possibly the worst backup in the league. Cowboys need to think QB of the future NOW and look for one in the draft

The problem with having a player like Bledsoe at QB is that his game relies almost entirely on “ifs.”

IF he can get perfect protection from the line.

IF you give him a good running game.

IF you have receivers who can get wide open.

IF the defense on rushes 4 and plays prevent.

IF the Cowboys can hold the opposition to 17.

Now, nobody doubts his ability to pick apart a defense when he gets protection and a defense conveniently sits back in a soft zone. But football isn’t often that simplistic. When things start to break down around him, he’s worthless. Bledsoe has always been a front running QB. He’s a winner when you’re clicking on all cylinders in the other facets of the game. How often does that happen?

Cowboys fans like to say that all he needs to do is drive the bus. But what happens when that bus is going off the road? Can he get it back in the right direction? He never has shown that ability. Bledsoe has always been and always will be a cruise control QB.

What happens when the Eagles are back next year? When Eli Manning matures and brings his game up another level? When Gibbs gets another year to mold this team in his image and Greg Williams continues to show that he has the book on how to shut down Bledsoe?

3rd place in the division is about the most you can hope for unless something dramatically changes.

Archived