Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why all the DB's and LB's?

Ignatius J.

There seems to be a considerable amount of action devoted towards defensive players who play either linebacker or defensive back.

There have been many posts suggesting that these scrub signings indicate that we are fed up with prima donna starters that are falling out of favor with fans who have too much time on thier hands. (c.f. LaVar and Sean)

I read this another way, and it starts with special teams.

Backup linebackers and defensive backs form the backbone of your special teams units in coverage. I think these latest signings, see Hall, Prilou and the possible signing of McQuarters, are indications that we are interested in being serious threats on special teams.

The glut of fullback/running backs who don't really fit into the gibbs offensive scheme seems to gel with this idea as well. (Manny white is unlikely to unseat Cooley as an H-back and con only aspire for a role as a part time extremely short yardage back. The pickup only makes sense if he contributes on special teams which is exactly where a big hunk of meat like manny comes in handy, pulling his weight into men trying to hold contain)

I think we're going to see that these guys rarely step onto the field in either offensive or defensive sets. I think no projected starters are going to be seriously threatened. This really jives with the way gibbs worked last year as well. After selecting the starters, the backups aren't the next best at a given a given position. We need only consider Dmac to realize that unless you are expected to see the field on a consistent basis, you have to make your way in on special teams. I think all of these players that we have been looking at recently have been in exactly that light.

Special teams is being giving alot of attention, which only goes to show no rock left unturned. The biggest contribution the special teams gives is field position and that might be an interesting stat someone could find out about last year and see how the skins stacked up against other teams.

Originally posted by budski

.......might be an interesting stat someone could find out about last year and see how the skins stacked up against other teams.

It appears that we were 26th ranked with a 21.5 return average against us on kickoffs. Interestingly enough, we were 7th in net punting with a 35.9 average.

Gibbs will have us in the top ten in all catagories on ST.

Ignatius, I think some of it also has to do with the premium that Gregg puts on the defensive backfield in his defense. Not just the blitz packages, but also the reliance on adequate coverage in order to free up other defensive players to blitz. If I were Gregg, I would want to try out the largest sample size of quality position players that I could; it seems that's what we're trying to do with all of these LBs and DBs.

But, of course, I think your point about Special Teams is dead on as well.

Archived