Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My REVISED Defensive Rankings...

Dirk Diggler

...this is a conitinuation of my thread below. These are based LAST YEARS RANKINGS, not adjusted for this years FA losses, coaching changes and what have you. I will tweak these accordingly when I have the time.

Note: I have not released my formula yet, I'd just like to get a few reactions and see what the peanut gallery has to say!!!

1. Pittsburg

2. Philadelphia

3. Chicago

4. Baltimore

5. NYG

6. New England

7. Tampa Bay

8. Green Bay

9. St. Louis

10. Miami

11. WASHINGTON

12. San Diego

13. Cincinnati

14. Jacksonville

15. Denver

16. Cleveland

17. San Francisco

18. Seattle

19. Oakland

20. Dallas

21. New Orleans

22. NYJ

23. Tennessee

24. Kansas City

25. Arizona

26. Carolina

27. Minnesota

28. Detroit

29. Buffalo

30. Indy

31. Atlanta

***Notice that all the teams that had the most success defensing St. Louis last year were all in the top 10: Philly, NYG, New England, and Tampa***

Hmmm. Hard to give an opinion without really knowing the formula, though I'm not doubting you here Dirk. It would appear with your mentioning of St. Louis there is a strength of schedule angle here. (ie how teams' defense did against top ranked passing and running offenses and number of top offenses played ect...)

Here are my rankings vs the Rush (Yards/Rush against ranking + rush TD's allowed ranking):

1. Chicago

1. Pittsburg

3. NYG

4. San Diego

5. Baltimore

6. Denver

7. Philly

8. Miami

8. Cincinnati

10. Seattle

11. Washington

12. Tampa

12. San Francisco

14. Jacksonville

14. New England

16. Dallas

17. St. Louis

18. Arizona

19. Green Bay

19. Tennessee

21. New Orleans

22. Detroit

23. Carolina

23. Cleveland

25. Kansas City

26. NYJ

27. Atlanta

28. Buffalo

29. Oakland

30. Indy

31. Minnesota

each of the 16 games count in the final standings, but if you exclude the first 5 where we can all agree the team was refusing to play for Marty, and just include the last 11 the defense looks a WHOLE lot better. :)

and that to me is what we have been building on with the additions of Trotter, Armstead, Wynn, Dotson, etc..............

the Redskins kept the score down in those last 10 or 11 games and didn't give up many big plays on defense.

Heck, the 13-3 Bears had to use razzle dazzle on special teams with Urlacher to manufacture the points to beat the Redskins.

Donovan McNabb couldn't do anything against the Skins defense in Philly, with the Eagles netting just 3 points.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

Here are my rankings vs the Rush (Yards/Rush against ranking + rush TD's allowed ranking):

1. Chicago

1. Pittsburg

3. NYG

4. San Diego

5. Baltimore

6. Denver

7. Philly

Interesting that the Skins ran all over the Philly defense in the away game -- total domination -- and yet the Philly rush defense is ranked #7. What's up with that? Was our rushing attack that good, or did Philly just have a bad game?

Atlanta

Philly was great at keeping teams out of the end zone and teams like Philly, New England, and Chicago need to be rewarded for bending but not breaking. You'll see Chicago (who allowed tons of passing yards) rewarded in the pass defense ranking for doing the exact same thing

Dirk

Here are my pass defense rankings which is part 2 of 3 categories

when considering defense. This formula = pass completion % against ranking + pass TD's allowed ranking. It does not take into account pass rush or a teams ability to put the QB on his back. That ranking is coming. This basically tells you which teams "cover" the best:

1. New England

2. Philadelphia

3. Oakland

4. Washington

4. Green Bay

4. Baltimore

7. Cleveland

7. Chicago

7. St. Louis

10. Tampa Bay

11. Pittsburg

12. San Francisco

13. Miami

14. NYJ

15. Dallas

16. Minnesota

17. NYG

17. Jacksonville

19. Kansas City

20. Seattle

21. Denver

22. San Diego

23. Carolina

23. Tennessee

25. Cinncinnati

26. Arizona

27. Buffalo

28. Detroit

29. Indy

30. New Orleans

31. Atlanta

This is the final installment on defense part 3 of 3. Total sacks are not the best way to determine a teams ability to rush the passer. Although QB pressures can be just as disruptive as sacks, a stat like pressures is VERY subjective. But total sacks can't be used because some teams have more of an opportunity to sack the QB than others.

Take Chicago for example. They were 5th in the league at sacking the QB but they had more opportunity than most teams because they shut the run down.

A team like Cincinnati was playing from behind a lot so they had fewer opps to rush the passer. These 2 had almost identical totals 48-47 but you'll see how my rankings adjust to tell the true story:

1. New Orleans

2. Pittsburg

3. Cincinnati

4. Green Bay

5. NYG

6. Philadelphia

7. Tampa Bay

8. St. Louis

9. Baltimore

10. Chicago

11. Miami

12. Jacksonville

13. Indy

14. Cleveland

15. Oakland

16. San Diego

17. Denver

18. New England

19. Seattle

20. Buffalo

21. Atlanta

22. NYJ

23. Kansas City

24. Minnesota

25. Detroit

26. Tennessee

27. San Francisco

28. Washington

29. Carolina

30. Dallas

31. Arizona

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

The formula here was just Sacks/pass attempt...pretty simple.

Interesting. We're #28 in sacks, but #4 in pass defense as defined by completion percentage and TDs.

Looks like sacks can be overrated when you've got good pass coverage.

Can we cut Bruce Smith and sign Sam Adams, Willie Jackson, Ray Brown, Jon Jansen and Champ Bailey now?

Nothing against Bruce. I just don't want him to be the reason we don't sign (or extend) any of those guys.

Archived