Extremeskins

Jones says Parcells could stick around

HeHateMe

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/stories/050405cpcowbriefs.23b5e38df.html

Jones says Parcells could stick around

Owner tells ESPN Radio he expects coach to stay past contract

02:40 AM CDT on Wednesday, May 4, 2005

Bt TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The commonly held perception is that Bill Parcells will coach through this season and maybe through 2006 when his contract expires.

Speaking on Dan Patrick's radio show Tuesday, however, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said he could envision Parcells coaching a few years after his original deal is over.

"I know we get along well," Jones said on the show. "We're making decisions in a healthy way with good debate, and all of that is working a lot better than most people thought it would."

Parcells signed a four-year contract worth $17.5 million to come out of retirement on Jan. 2, 2003. He turns 65 in August and has said this is his last coaching stop. Of course, he has said that before only to return to the sidelines.

Jones, Parcells and Parcells' agent Jimmy Sexton were unavailable for comment.

Jones said he believes Parcells has been rejuvenated by an off-season in which the Cowboys have added a number of quality players through free agency and younger players in the draft.

There were reports earlier this off-season that Parcells contemplated retirement, but he dismissed that notion in February and again last weekend during the recent minicamp.

"You get a little down and out once in a while, but I didn't think about quitting," Parcells said. "I didn't think about quitting. I just wouldn't do it."

Lee, others waived: With the addition of free agent running back Anthony Thomas, ReShard Lee became expendable and was waived Tuesday.

Lee led the team in kickoff returns last year with a 23.5-yard average. He had 27 carries for 128 yards. He never gained coach Bill Parcells' confidence. With Thomas, starter, Julius Jones, and rookie Marion Barber III, Lee didn't figure into the club's plans.

"The week before he had a meeting and was told the job was open," said Lee's agent, Harold Lewis. "Obviously, Julius is going to carry the ball and Marion Barber is a good pickup, but ReShard was told they were going to go in with an open mind. That was before they signed the A-Train."

The Cowboys also waived tight end Landon Trusty, safety Steve Cargile and defensive tackle Tron LaFavor on Tuesday. The Cowboys have 78 players on their roster. Restricted free agent Kurt Vollers is expected to sign his tender offer of $656,000 today, which would leave exclusive rights free agent Tony Romo sits to pee as the only unsigned veteran.

Signing bonuses: The Cowboys spent $149,000 in signing bonuses on their 16 undrafted free agents, including $20,000 on Portland State tight end Tony Curtis.

Eleven of the rookies received three-year deals worth the minimums, while five signed two-year offers. Wide receivers Jamaica Rector ($17,500) and Reggie Harrell ($15,000) had the two other biggest signing bonuses.

If history is any indication, he'll wait 'til the pukes are in salary cap hell, complete locker room turmoil, and there is no hope of winning. Then he'll quit.

Judging by the spending this offseason... looks like 2006 will be the year

Originally posted by zoony

If history is any indication, he'll wait 'til the pukes are in salary cap hell, complete locker room turmoil, and there is no hope of winning. Then he'll quit.

Judging by the spending this offseason... looks like 2006 will be the year

Stephen Jones has actually done a superb job of keeping the books up to par since they got out of cap hell.

We still have around $8 million in cap room this season.

And the next few seasons look good too.

Now if they keep up what they did this past offseason, it could be a different story.

Originally posted by Bufford

I guess this is really a wait and see situation.

if this years record looks like last year....then I imagine nobody will remember Jerry's comments this offseason.

Of course.

Just like when he said we had the talent to win 10 games in 2002 and go to the playoffs. :rolleyes:

Seems like eons ago.

seriously, I think predicting how long Parcells will stick around, won't be a career for anybody.

Seems like he wakes up, and after a few years. Think Jets and Pats fans were really expecting it....even if it was hinted? The guy is loyal to football, not any specific team.

Originally posted by Bufford

seriously, I think predicting how long Parcells will stick around, won't be a career for anybody.

Seems like he wakes up, and after a few years. Think Jets and Pats fans were really expecting it....even if it was hinted? The guy is loyal to football, not any specific team.

I'll be more than happy if he finishes his contract.

Anything else will be gravy.

Originally posted by HeHateMe

I'll be more than happy if he finishes his contract.

Anything else will be gravy.

And then along came Butch Davis...seriously though, who would you imagine Jerrah imagines Bill's logical successor is? Zimmer?

Originally posted by Gilgamesh

And then along came Butch Davis...seriously though, who would you imagine Jerrah imagines Bill's logical successor is? Zimmer?

G,

Your fixation with comparing BP to Davis is fascinating. Really it is. ;)

Zimmer? No.

I can see Payton possibly.

I can also see him going outside the organization to the college ranks.

He is extremely high on, and has been high on Stoops for a long long time.

I wouldnt be surprised in the least if he made a strong push for him.

I just remember reading somewhere in the Dallas media that Jones still had a good relationship with Davis and thought very highly of him. Stoops would be a very good hire though. I'm still not sure why the Tuna has kept Zimmer around, given that he's not a Parcells guy and has no experience with the 3-4...

But what happens say if the Cowboys have another 6-10 season in 2005?

If that happens, the heat in Dallas might get too intense for Parcells to handle and with his health, he could have a different attitude about wanting to stay

Originally posted by TC4

But what happens say if the Cowboys have another 6-10 season in 2005?

If that happens, the heat in Dallas might get too intense for Parcells to handle and with his health, he could have a different attitude about wanting to stay

And if they win the Super Bowl he could extend his contract. :D

Originally posted by Gilgamesh

I just remember reading somewhere in the Dallas media that Jones still had a good relationship with Davis and thought very highly of him. Stoops would be a very good hire though. I'm still not sure why the Tuna has kept Zimmer around, given that he's not a Parcells guy and has no experience with the 3-4...

Because he is a very good defensive coordinator who has done everything BP has asked of him.

Archived