Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Downloading Episodes of "24"

Ax

Hey folks. I missed last weeks episode of 24. I found a website called UltimateTVShows (dot) com, where it says I can download and burn it.

Anybody ever used this place, or know of a better one where I can download last weeks episode?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Ax

Never heard of it.

Really. Ok, in 10 seconds or less, its a p2p app without the garbage. Basically, you go to a tracker site, like the one I sent you (there are hundreds if not more on the net, anyone can set up their own bittorrent tracker). You click on the torrent file and it opens up your bittorrent client and begins to download the file. As you download the file, you are also sharing it with others. By virtue of this setup, you can get insanely high download speeds if a lot of other people are downloading the file at the same time as you. It is the #1 way TV shows are currently shared on the net.

You can get the official client here:

http://www.bittorrent.com/

Or you can download one of a number of alternative clients. One called azureus is very popular, but its probably overkill for your purposes.

If you are on a Windows PC, there is a cool program called videora, which you can download at videora.com.

http://www.videora.com/

Basically, it automates searching for torrents and downloading them using your bitorrent client. But again, for your purposes, just download a bitorrent client, go to the first link I posted in the thread, and click on it.

:laugh:

Let me know if you run into any problems.

FYI, given what I mentioned regarding speed (the more downloaders, the faster it goes, sounds paradoxical, right?) its generally much easier to get the most recent episodes, since everyone else is typically getting them at that time. It can be a bit difficult/slow to download shows that are a couple of months old (drops of pretty quickly after a week or so, actually).

FYI: Be careful of bittorrent. You're easily viewed (ie: RIAA). If I were you - and hopefully you have a high-speed connection - I'd use eMule to get them. eMule is a P2P program similar to Kazaa. But like Todd said, it's prolly the more convenient and faster of the two, but I'd rather be saf than sorry

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

I dont know of a single person who has been harassed about downloading previously aired TV shows. I would recommend you NOT download movies online, the MPAA will come after you. Previously aired TV shows are a different matter entirely.

Downloading TV shows are just as illegal as downloading mp3's. Especially when that series is being put onto DVD's.

Not necessarily, not at all. It varies from country to country, but the fair use issue applies, considering the broadcast is fair game for Tivo/VCR use, and has been for all time. Broadcasters fought this battle and lost when the VCR came out in the first place.

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

Not necessarily, not at all. It varies from country to country, but the fair use issue applies, considering the broadcast is fair game for Tivo/VCR use, and has been for all time. Broadcasters fought this battle and lost when the VCR came out in the first place.

Ok, I'm gonna take a quote from a videohelp.com's poster:

This is one area of copyright law that has been well legislated and well litigated to the point where the law is very clear. The answer is yes, it is illegal and yes it is considered warez. Broadcasting something on tv, even on non-cable channels does not put it in the public domain. If it is copyrighted (just about any movie or tv show you watch is) then it is illegal to break that copyright...period. Distributing movies online is most certainly a violation of copyright.

The only right you have specifically in regards to broadcast is to time shift. This means YOU can backup YOUR broadcast for viewing at a later date. THAT is why vcrs and tivo are legal, and believe me the MPAA fought these new toys all along the way. There is absolutely no grey area in regards to downloading or otherwise receiving backups of broadcasts from someone else, even if you subscribe to that channel...it is illegal plain and simple.

Now I am referring only to US law, but any country involved in the Berne convention should have very similar copyright provisions regarding time shifting. Under most other countries it is even more restrictive. Also even if you live in another country, if the copyright was filed in the United States then you are still bound by those laws.

Certainly legally, and in my opinion morally, downloading a copy of a broadcast is absolutely no different than downloading the latest blockbuster hollywood movie that's still in theatres.

Originally posted by PSUHeckler

Certainly legally, and in my opinion morally, downloading a copy of a broadcast is absolutely no different than downloading the latest blockbuster hollywood movie that's still in theatres.

This is why people generally shouldn't give out legal advice online (Yes. I realize the irony of what I'm about to do given the preceeding sentence.) Download the show, watch it, then delete it. Voila, fair use. If it makes you feel better, print this thread and keep it for your reference to establish that your intent indeed was delayed viewing, not library creation.

Originally posted by bearrock

Download the show, watch it, then delete it. Voila, fair use. If it makes you feel better, print this thread and keep it for your reference to establish that your intent indeed was delayed viewing, not library creation.

Although that sounds completely alright with me, I'm pretty sure personally taping a show is still different from downloading it. Thus fair use may not be legit. I dunno - just my closing 2 cents on the subject

I guess it's a good thing I couldn't figure out how to burn the thing onto a dvd.

Oh well, all I wanted to do was watch it anyway. And yes, the quality was very good.

Thanks again Zen.

PS ~ Hey Zen, I doubt if I ever make it to Gotham, but if we ever do wind up in the same watering hole, the first round is on me. :cheers:

Archived